HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/View...onId=&InitUrl=

So that building on McMillan at Stafford did get approved after the Property committee overruled the Community Committee? Is that what happened?

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ou...573398081.html

As reported by the Sou'Wester (stupid name)
Correct

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 6:32 PM
surely you agree with me

not approved, just approved to move to council to be decided.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2020, 7:39 PM

668 McMillan Avenue

668 McMillan Avenue Redevelopment
Developer: Paragon Design | Build
Architects: Affinity Architecture Inc
Contractor:
Media:
Description: a four storeys, (tapering down to three storeys along the eastern façade) 40 residential unit rental building with underground parking and parking off of the rear lane.

Instagram

Old Posted Dec 27, 2020, 12:18 AM

Again, ditch the tin shed siding and it looks good. Having all that crap facing the side street would be shit.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2020, 5:59 AM
surely you agree with me

I mean. I support infill. I just wish this developer would build better looking projects. Everything they build looks temporary and cheap. Projects like this, across from beautiful old buildings embedded in a neighbourhood, it should be high quality. Especially at such a big scale.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2020, 7:31 PM

I think 530 River might be even worse IRL than it looked in the renders. Truly horrific architecture. Shame that Lount didn't get that property to make a third "House" to go along with Conrad and Dexter.

The layouts look horrendous too: https://rentwinnipeg.com/property/530-river-avenue/

Old Posted Dec 27, 2020, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I think 530 River might be even worse IRL than it looked in the renders. Truly horrific architecture. Shame that Lount didn't get that property to make a third "House" to go along with Conrad and Dexter.

The layouts look horrendous too: https://rentwinnipeg.com/property/530-river-avenue/
This developer has teamed up with Affinity Architecture, together they are creating some hideous designs in very high profile areas. They are behind this new one, 530 River, 255 Bell, 227 Stafford.

You an submit your thoughts on 668 McMillan Avenue to: www.surveymonkey.com/r/668McMillanAve
info@landmarkplanning.ca

Instagram

Old Posted Dec 27, 2020, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post

I wish I had a window in my closet.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 5:18 AM
surely you agree with me

Have you seen the siding on 530 River? It’s screwed on. There’s an exposed screw every 8 inches or so in both vertical and horizontal direction. That’s what we’ve come to. Those are the buildings we are passing down to the next generation.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 5:47 PM

Yeah it's honestly worse than the infamous WRHA building on Portage. At least that one is stucco and has bigger windows...

I guess the architect's "Affinity" is for piles of dog shit.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Have you seen the siding on 530 River? It’s screwed on. There’s an exposed screw every 8 inches or so in both vertical and horizontal direction. That’s what we’ve come to. Those are the buildings we are passing down to the next generation.
What a way to destroy the aesthetics of a once fine residential neighbourhood. Every single one of these IKEA new builds look more or less the same, like the Expressway Inn and Suites and similar type properties near the Alerus Center in Grand Forks, or worse. Bland and cheap and the interiors are depressing.

And right, the finished product NEVER looks anywhere near as nice (more accurately looks MORE awful) than the rendering.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 12:12 AM

yeesh, that's an ugly building. looks like the kind of thing that would sprout up as quick-built "luxury" housing in a resource boomtown like fort mac

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 3:31 AM

At night when you cant see the crap quality of the new apartment building, the corner of Nassau and River does give off a good sense of urbanity and density with the building being right to the sidewalk at least.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 1:33 PM

Honestly how do things like this get passed. The room layouts look like they were planned in five minutes with zero thought for spatial usage. How do these designers and architects get jobs?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 2:17 PM

I've always kind of assumed that the rents that urban buildings can fetch in Winnipeg is just too low to make quality design and materials financially viable. Plus high construction costs. And so we end up with ugly buildings with small windows. Obviously there are exceptions and we've gotten some really nice buildings with good materials. I was walking past the new building at Westminster and Maryland last night, other than the fact that it comes up to the sidewalk, its dreadful - cheap materials, horrible execution and poor window coverage.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
I've always kind of assumed that the rents that urban buildings can fetch in Winnipeg is just too low to make quality design and materials financially viable. Plus high construction costs. And so we end up with ugly buildings with small windows. Obviously there are exceptions and we've gotten some really nice buildings with good materials. I was walking past the new building at Westminster and Maryland last night, other than the fact that it comes up to the sidewalk, its dreadful - cheap materials, horrible execution and poor window coverage.
I would like to add that black stucco shouldn't exist.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2020, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
Yeah I honestly think it's just a shitty developer with a shitty architect trying to squeeze every dollar out of that property regardless of how it looks or interacts. Conrad House and Dexter House next door look fantastic, and the rents are about the same.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 10:00 PM

Well it appears that Winnipeg Transit will continue to reduce the hope of South Osborne strip extending north. They purchased the vacant Imperial Oil site which is opposite the existing transit garage. From the City Clerk, Item 10 Reports: Intended Use: A Transit Customer Services & Administrative Building and/or a Transit garage and/or a Transit parking lot.

I'm sure its safe to say given Transits expansive new parking lot in South Osborne and neighbourhood complaints about parking that this site that could have been eventually a mixed use development will become a parking lot. I guess its better than sitting around vacant. Ideally, they move the existing transit service centre to this site and give it some street presence and then make way for a new build on that Site with river views.

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/View...onId=&InitUrl=

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 10:08 PM

^ An office building could be OK. Between the huge transit garage blank wall, the Co-op and the poorly laid out MURB properties across the street, most of that stretch from the tracks to Brandon Ave is a bit of a writeoff for the foreseeable future.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
Well it appears that Winnipeg Transit will continue to reduce the hope of South Osborne strip extending north. They purchased the vacant Imperial Oil site which is opposite the existing transit garage. From the City Clerk, Item 10 Reports: Intended Use: A Transit Customer Services & Administrative Building and/or a Transit garage and/or a Transit parking lot.

I'm sure its safe to say given Transits expansive new parking lot in South Osborne and neighbourhood complaints about parking that this site that could have been eventually a mixed use development will become a parking lot. I guess its better than sitting around vacant. Ideally, they move the existing transit service centre to this site and give it some street presence and then make way for a new build on that Site with river views.

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/View...onId=&InitUrl=
the iron law of winnipeg development: if any proposed development includes the possibility of use as a parking lot, the final use will be as a parking lot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan