HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 11:24 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'm watching the city centre hearing and orilkows on cam eating and putting his nose close to the screen. What a goober lol

I had assumed this was the vacant lot on the SW corner, but it's the lots n the NE corner. Either way. Too dense, pssssh.
Pretty sure there's a new building going up on the SW corner already?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 11:29 PM
surely you agree with me

Stafford. Yes. Sorry.
The issue was that they were asking for the density allowable on the Stafford site to be continued on the other two residential properties along McMillan.

Funny that the planner said the architecture fits the period of the old houses. I guess the fact that it’s pretending to be the wrong kind of building from that era doesn’t matter. I oppose it as an affront to good taste but the density argument is questionable.

We have a dumb system.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 1:39 AM
keep the good times going

The lot in the southwest corner is also being developed, I forget who the developer is.

Either way, I think this amount of density is totally appropriate! But I do agree that the facades would be far better flipped lol. I would love to see development eventually extend down to Stafford and Grovesner. It would nicely connect it to Corydon. Just like Lily St. a few blocks away, albeit, Stafford is far busier.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 4:47 AM

Is it just me, or has traffic on Stafford gotten a lot busier in the last fiver years? It seems that when Pembina started it's ongoing reconstruction it got busier but then the volume never went back down after those projects. I could be wrong, maybe I just drive during busier times now, I don't really know. I'm a big fan of more multifamily in Crescentwood and River Heights.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 5:06 AM
surely you agree with me

All traffic through river heights/crescentwood has skyrocketed because of the population boom in the Deep South. Academy is an alternate route for Portage Avenue off Kenaston. Anyone who lives down Pembina or Waverley going from downtown uses Portage, Maryland, Stafford.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 5:23 AM
Starring as himself

Didn’t they close off Harrow? I don’t remember ever using Stafford to go North, always Harrow, but the last year when I was in Winnipeg a lot and the construction was underway, it was Stafford.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 7:26 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Didn’t they close off Harrow? I don’t remember ever using Stafford to go North, always Harrow, but the last year when I was in Winnipeg a lot and the construction was underway, it was Stafford.
Yeah, the left turn access from NB pembina was closed, so theres a lot less traffic going north now. You can still make a right turn SB though, so it still gets a decent amount of cars in that direction.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Yeah, the left turn access from NB pembina was closed, so theres a lot less traffic going north now. You can still make a right turn SB though, so it still gets a decent amount of cars in that direction.
Oh yeah. That's probably a huge part of it too. Because of where I live I'm usually just crossing Stafford, but it looks busy anyway. I guess busy traffic means the city itself is busy: a good thing.

I wonder then if the new traffic calming measures on Wellington from Park to Doncaster will put more traffic on Academy and Corydon?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 3:27 PM

I agree the Staffotd proposal needs to look better on Stafford, but that is the perfect development for there, and there's already several just as big – one currently u/c across the street.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbnevs View Post
Looks like the city is selling the parking lot at the corner of Stradbrook and Osborne. This seems like great news.

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/View...ctionId=583673
It looks like Basil's is for sale next door to this lot. Asking price is $2.25M.

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...ne-st-winnipeg

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 3:52 AM

Kind of disappointing with the complete street reconstruction of Corydon west of Harrow that they didn't add any streetscaping elements at the developing retail node at Wilton. Coulda made the corner pop a little like at Stafford and Grosvenor. womp womp.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Kind of disappointing with the complete street reconstruction of Corydon west of Harrow that they didn't add any streetscaping elements at the developing retail node at Wilton. Coulda made the corner pop a little like at Stafford and Grosvenor. womp womp.
Whaddaya mean?! Last year they replaced these streetscaping elements from the 90s with the exact same design!

Having green poles used to make a big difference. I feel like we're living in Playmobil land with all this new unfinished steel junk.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 5:49 PM

Academy/Wellington Crescent is a through route for people from east Winnipeg.

There are all kinds of routes. That's what Winnipeg is. Not proper cross town routes. So people go through neighbourhoods. Is what it is. Either build proper routes or live with the through traffic.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Whaddaya mean?! Last year they replaced these streetscaping elements from the 90s with the exact same design!

Having green poles used to make a big difference. I feel like we're living in Playmobil land with all this new unfinished steel junk.
a genuine LOL for that! ugh there's no hope...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 6:34 PM

haha.. well in fairness the galvanized steel, or whatever the finish, is supposed to be no maintenance. No rusting like the old green poles.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
haha.. well in fairness the galvanized steel, or whatever the finish, is supposed to be no maintenance. No rusting like the old green poles.
Right so let's just stop planting grass or putting any thought into design of buildings because all we need is low maintenance. Who care about having to look at things and wanting to live in a place that looks nice, never mind the mental health benefits.

I see rusted poles all the time, so if anything maybe it just prolongs a bit. But also is touching up some paint every 15-20 years a big deal? The city and hydro must be spending an absurd fortune over the last 5 years replacing so many signal and light poles that don't need to be replaced – and the result is worse.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Right so let's just stop planting grass or putting any thought into design of buildings because all we need is low maintenance. Who care about having to look at things and wanting to live in a place that looks nice, never mind the mental health benefits.

I see rusted poles all the time, so if anything maybe it just prolongs a bit. But also is touching up some paint every 15-20 years a big deal? The city and hydro must be spending an absurd fortune over the last 5 years replacing so many signal and light poles that don't need to be replaced – and the result is worse.
IMO the big focus for hydro & the city should be to replace the wooden poles and lighting with all the cables hanging from them, particularly those around major routes. For example Wellington Ave or Rt 90 north of portage. Or the stretch of Kenaston between the Mercedes dealership and IKEA. (Amongst many many others)

When this is done and the cables are all put underground it really does improve the beauty of the areas affected, reducing visual pollution. Rather than replacing light poles that are totally okay, they should be focusing on this.
It absolutely kills me to see no improvement in so many high traffic areas of the city Areas that are often mandatory thoroughfares for people visiting Winnipeg.

Just look at how much better St James looks after this was done. A massive before/after change.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2020, 10:06 PM

That wasn't my point at all. I'm telling you why they're not painted green anymore. You think they would look better because they're green?

What is Hydro and the City replacing that doesn't need replacing?

Look at this ugly thing. The galvanized ones don't look like that.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.86728...7i13312!8i6656

I would love for Hydro to install lighting based on what area it is. But they're blanket doing these lights now everywhere. Same with the City replacing traffic signals. No more cobra style friction posts like we've had forever. They're the square ones now because of supply. Same reason Hydro resists install fancy lights anymore. They go obsolete.

Just the facts.

Better coordination to reduce the number of posts would be a good start. No need to have a traffic signal right next to a light standard. But that would require to government agencies to coordinate, and boy that is a very difficult thing.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 2:03 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BariasEC View Post
IMO the big focus for hydro & the city should be to replace the wooden poles and lighting with all the cables hanging from them, particularly those around major routes. For example Wellington Ave or Rt 90 north of portage. Or the stretch of Kenaston between the Mercedes dealership and IKEA. (Amongst many many others)

When this is done and the cables are all put underground it really does improve the beauty of the areas affected, reducing visual pollution. Rather than replacing light poles that are totally okay, they should be focusing on this.
It absolutely kills me to see no improvement in so many high traffic areas of the city Areas that are often mandatory thoroughfares for people visiting Winnipeg.

Just look at how much better St James looks after this was done. A massive before/after change.

Done in Tuxedo 100 years ago, to quote Wikipedia article:

As much as was possible, underground utility wires were buried underground so as not to be visually cluttering.[1]

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BariasEC View Post

Academy Rd. was a MAJOR missed opportunity when they did some major work on it not that long ago and decided against starting to bury the cables and just added some rinkydink decorative sign poles. Woulda changed the street immensely which is surprising considering the demographic of the area...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan