HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Found this:

Not sure if its just a porfolio piece or what.
This is an interpretation of the design criteria that Canada Lands created for this site. They are using this to show an idea of what could be built on the site by a developer after they sell it.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
This is an interpretation of the design criteria that Canada Lands created for this site. They are using this to show an idea of what could be built on the site by a developer after they sell it.
Yes - it's one of three CLC conceptual designs for the site, all of which were posted here a page or two back.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 1:26 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Some new CBRE materials have gone up to advertise the sale of this property:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwjY5t_xBPs

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 2:15 PM

"Spring Garden Street"

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 3:09 PM

AllNS said today that Mani Suissa (of Universal Properties fame) is the successful bidder ("in the low $40 million range") for this property and that Canada Lands will make the announcement "this month". Suissa incorporated 1557 Hollis Investments Ltd. to make the purchase. The last rendering we saw from CLC (below) is said to be the "preferred design" (maybe someone more tech-savvy than I can actually post the image, or you can see it one page back in the thread). AllNS describes it as "a 20-storey apartment tower atop an immense six-storey podium", but the rendering appears to show it as more like 14 or 15 storeys plus the podium, for a total of 20 or 21 - yet another within the tabletop range.

Not the prettiest tower I've ever seen, but I imagine we'll probably see some evolution in the design as the project progresses.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img921/2778/BRtxXp.jpg

Last edited by Saul Goode; Feb 11, 2022 at 3:26 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 5:34 AM

Old Posted Feb 27, 2022, 8:00 PM
Closed account

Will be nice to have this lot filled in. It's been a hole on Lower Water street forever and it'll be nice to see that side of Hollis Street filled in.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 12:41 PM

There appears to be engineering consultants on site today. Maybe this is telling that this site will come along faster than I thought. It will certainly fill in a huge gap in our skyline. This plus the TexPark site are the only big lots still left to be filled downtown (excluding the Art Gallery which will be coming along in the next few months). I don’t have much hope for the TexPark site, but I think simply having this lot filled in will have a huge difference for the area. I hope they do a mini mall on the ground floor which has been suggested.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegon123 View Post
There appears to be engineering consultants on site today. Maybe this is telling that this site will come along faster than I thought. It will certainly fill in a huge gap in our skyline. This plus the TexPark site are the only big lots still left to be filled downtown (excluding the Art Gallery which will be coming along in the next few months). I don’t have much hope for the TexPark site, but I think simply having this lot filled in will have a huge difference for the area. I hope they do a mini mall on the ground floor which has been suggested.

At the very least, Canada Lands no longer owns this property. The Deed went on in late February. Hopefully, they can move this site along faster than what we have become used to.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 4:09 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There's definitely a difference between having some empty lots and having a large area of many connected lots, the current state around there.

Empty lots around open spaces like parks or squares have a large negative effect on the feel as well so I think Press block will have a big positive impact.

Not sure what the planning process would be like for this area. Perhaps they could do something like Richmond Yards and begin excavation while they seek approval. In other words, it could hypothetically progress quickly.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 1:16 AM

Pic from earlier this week:

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 11:30 AM

The weeds are doing well.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 1:45 PM

Now that the Press Block is moving along, our vacant lot inventory was in danger of getting low. I'm glad the feds took care of that for us...

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 8:23 PM

How long will it be before a 'Friends of Downtown Gravel Pits' type of group starts protesting any possible development on this site?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2022, 3:01 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcK View Post
How long will it be before a 'Friends of Downtown Gravel Pits' type of group starts protesting any possible development on this site?
It's too close to reality!

This one will likely avoid the battle, though, as there is a rough idea of what will be built and it is relatively squat.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 4:41 PM

The building permit has been submitted for this site;

1557 HOLLIS ST, HALIFAX - $99'821'132.85 - Mixed Use - Residential & Other Use(s) - Residential Use - 462 Units - 21 Storeys - New Construction 3 buildings on one Podium 4 levels of Parking

Add in the Skye permit a few weeks ago and it appears both Hollis Street holes could be developed later this year!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post

1557 HOLLIS ST, HALIFAX - $99'821'132.85 - Mixed Use - Residential & Other Use(s) - Residential Use - 462 Units - 21 Storeys - New Construction 3 buildings on one Podium 4 levels of Parking

Add in the Skye permit a few weeks ago and it appears both Hollis Street holes could be developed later this year!
It's great that something will finally happen on the Ralston site, but cripes - another 21-storey building? That tabletop skyline is monotonous enough already. A 24- or 25-storey tower would have added at least some visual interest.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 6:55 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Counting up from Lower Water it looks like 22 or 23 depending on if you consider that rooftop level a floor. It might be about the height of a 25 storey building with minimal ceiling heights and a flat roof.

The Citadel-based height limit scheme guarantees a tabletop-like downtown skyline and it will get worse as they constrain the built "volume" downtown more and more. The nature of the ramparts requires lower heights closer to the Citadel which also happens to be farther up the hill, exactly wrong for building views and skyline interest.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Counting up from Lower Water it looks like 22 or 23 depending on if you consider that rooftop level a floor. It might be about the height of a 25 storey building with minimal ceiling heights and a flat roof.

The Citadel-based height limit scheme guarantees a tabletop-like downtown skyline and it will get worse as they constrain the built "volume" downtown more and more. The nature of the ramparts requires lower heights closer to the Citadel which also happens to be farther up the hill, exactly wrong for building views and skyline interest.
Yeah, I understand the "whys" - I just don't like them. But the chances of even slightly modifying the viewplanes (conceived 50+ years ago, in a very, very different time in the life of the city) seem to be nonexistent, especially in a city where bullhorn-wielding zealots protest the development of semi-suburban parking lots and scrublands.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2023, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post

"Three buildings on one podium"
That's interesting. Would love to see an updated rendering.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth