HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 11:23 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
A public information meeting will be held for this project on May 21st, 2015 at 7pm at Dalhousie's Kenneth C. Rowe Management Building.

I have every intention of showing up to this meeting with popcorn in hand.

There are some new renderings for this proposal at 2032 to 2050 Robie Street. The tower is narrower and taller - http://www.halifax.ca/planning/appli...sterboards.pdf. It is the predominantly blue tower (also included in the renderings are two towers at 6009 - 60017 Quinpool Road).

The public information meeting, as posted by Dmajackson, is going on now and according to Dmajackson's blog, 200 people showed up - http://urbanhalifax.tumblr.com/tagged/2032Robie.

Old Posted May 21, 2015, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
The public information meeting, as posted by Dmajackson, is going on now and according to Dmajackson's blog, 200 people showed up - http://urbanhalifax.tumblr.com/tagged/2032Robie.

And what a shock, it sounds like everyone is in opposition to it.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 12:31 AM

Quote:
There are some new renderings for this proposal at 2032 to 2050 Robie Street. The tower is narrower and taller - http://www.halifax.ca/planning/appli...sterboards.pdf. It is the predominantly blue tower (also included in the renderings are two towers at 6009 - 60017 Quinpool Road).

Looks great. More density in an area that needs it. Perfect. Build it.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 1:01 AM

200 people was an overestimate but it did fill the room of about 5 X 20 seats. It was a mid-sized university lecture room.

I lost track of the speakers (I want to say 20ish) but most were from the North Quinpool area and all of those were opposed to the building. There were a couple of supporters and a few out-of-area people that were oppposed. Bev Miller and Allan Ruffman spoke along with The Friends of the Commons. The heritage by-law was even quoted by opponents which is odd because this is nowhere near any heritage sites.

The most vocal speaker was Danny Chedrawe and he came out swinging against those saying the 35' height limit should be kept and he even made a point of repeating that many of his developments never reach their maximum allowed height.

The Wellington Street proposal was mentioned numerous times and Councillor McCluskey's comments were called out a fair bit. Apparently Westwood had approval for a 11-storey building across the street but decided to only build the 5-storey condos that are currently there.

The best comment had to be Danny Chedrawe's talk about building width and how narrower buildings are more pleasing at street level then wide short slabs. The oddest comment had to be the one claiming this would only add to Halifax's sprawl problem.

Personally I am for this development as it currently stands.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 1:09 AM

Quote:
200 people was an overestimate but it did fill the room of about 5 X 20 seats. It was a mid-sized university lecture room.

I lost track of the speakers (I want to say 20ish) but most were from the North Quinpool area and all of those were opposed to the building. There were a couple of supporters and a few out-of-area people that were oppposed. Bev Miller and Allan Ruffman spoke along with The Friends of the Commons. The heritage by-law was even quoted by opponents which is odd because this is nowhere near any heritage sites.

The most vocal speaker was Danny Chedrawe and he came out swinging against those saying the 35' height limit should be kept and he even made a point of repeating that many of his developments never reach their maximum allowed height.

The Wellington Street proposal was mentioned numerous times and Councillor McCluskey's comments were called out a fair bit. Apparently Westwood had approval for a 11-storey building across the street but decided to only build the 5-storey condos that are currently there.

The best comment had to be Danny Chedrawe's talk about building width and how narrower buildings are more pleasing at street level then wide short slabs. The oddest comment had to be the one claiming this would only add to Halifax's sprawl problem.

Personally I am for this development as it currently stands.

This sprawl comment seems to come up a lot for every proposal in the city, is it the same person making it?

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 1:12 AM

Quote:
I lost track of the speakers (I want to say 20ish) but most were from the North Quinpool area and all of those were opposed to the building. There were a couple of supporters and a few out-of-area people that were oppposed. Bev Miller and Allan Ruffman spoke along with The Friends of the Commons.
You could have just saved yourself some typing by referring to this bunch as "The Usual Suspects", since we would all instantly know who you were talking about.

Quote:
The oddest comment had to be the one claiming this would only add to Halifax's sprawl problem.
Maybe people should need to pass a competency test before being allowed to speak at such events.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 1:14 AM

I went to this meeting tonight on this development. Three notes.
1. The number of miserable grey heads talking is alarming. Thanks gawd there is no food.
2. There seems to be a posy of people (4 or 5) that go from meeting to meeting spouting the same vile statements.
3. There was very little quality constructive discussion.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 1:41 AM

Unlike that OTHER Chedrawe proposal, I'm fine with this one, even if the design of the building is a bit bland. The location is perfect for this kind of thing. (I also agree with Chedrawe that narrower buildings work better at street level.)

The opposition at the meeting isn't surprising, is it? It's a fairly middle-class, homeeowner-dominated neighbourhod, and people indifferent or supportive of projects almost never come out to these things.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohaligo View Post
I went to this meeting tonight on this development. Three notes.
1. The number of miserable grey heads talking is alarming. Thanks gawd there is no food.
2. There seems to be a posy of people (4 or 5) that go from meeting to meeting spouting the same vile statements.
3. There was very little quality constructive discussion.
Vile is the wrong word, unless you have new definition.
There were no vile words; there were some you may not like but that does not mean they are vile.
They were all well behaved.
A posy is a bunch of flowers, a handful

OED definition of vile : http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...n/english/vile
Extremely unpleasant:
he has a vile temper
vile smells

And Danny was great,spoke with passion and made sure to tell everyone that he thinks the city has made many mistakes - including the recent approval of the Wellington Street towers.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 12:22 PM
Halifax Promoter!

I really like this, a nice look!

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
I really like this, a nice look!
No, it's TOO TALL!!!

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 8:32 PM

Looks decent.

In what world is it inappropriate to concentrate population on a major transportation route and close to a very large green space? Perhaps there is some concern about HOW concentrated the population is, but I feel like the common would be enhanced by a ring of relatively high-rise buildings.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 8:49 PM

If I remember correctly from another string, wasn't it Bev Miller or her 'gang' that pulled out the higher density = suburban sprawl chestnut in a public meeting?

Personally, I rather like the new updated drawings. Although I've never been a fan of the formal of these public meetings. I know we sometimes use that format out here, I'm happier with an open house. I think it's more of an open forum and allows people to interact rather than the 'bang the drum' sort of reaction that typically happens. That said, I'm using this format for a meeting I have to do in June. Thankfully, my project is a less intrusive one out this way.

Old Posted May 22, 2015, 10:13 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Looks decent.

In what world is it inappropriate to concentrate population on a major transportation route and close to a very large green space? Perhaps there is some concern about HOW concentrated the population is, but I feel like the common would be enhanced by a ring of relatively high-rise buildings.
Here, here!!!

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Looks decent.

+1000000.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
If I remember correctly from another string, wasn't it Bev Miller or her 'gang' that pulled out the higher density = suburban sprawl chestnut in a public meeting?

Personally, I rather like the new updated drawings. Although I've never been a fan of the formal of these public meetings. I know we sometimes use that format out here, I'm happier with an open house. I think it's more of an open forum and allows people to interact rather than the 'bang the drum' sort of reaction that typically happens. That said, I'm using this format for a meeting I have to do in June. Thankfully, my project is a less intrusive one out this way.
They go to every meeting and oppose any change. Just more Boomer (and older) generational warfare against better cities and more affordable residential for young people and young families.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 3:24 PM

Hey!
I am an older boomer and do NOT want to be grouped with Bev Miller and gang.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 3:36 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
They go to every meeting and oppose any change. Just more Boomer (and older) generational warfare against better cities and more affordable residential for young people and young families.

I agree with your first sentence. In my opinion, the views of the usual anti-development gang should be discounted as being irrelevant since they just go from meeting to meeting opposing almost everything. In reality, I think that some HRM Councillors have already reached this conclusion based on sessions of the HRM Council meetings that I have watched.

However, the anti-development gang's opinions don't represent the views of the older generation (I think that includes me but I am not sure what age range you are referring to as the older generation). Just remember that the developers of 2032 - 2050 Robie Street are from the older generation.

I think that 2032 - 2050 Robie Street looks decent, however, I would prefer that it be even taller and slimmer.
(source: http://www.halifax.ca/planning/appli...sterboards.pdf)

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 4:50 PM

Quote:
I agree with your first sentence. In my opinion, the views of the usual anti-development gang should be discounted as being irrelevant since they just go from meeting to meeting opposing almost everything. In reality, I think that some HRM Councillors have already reached this conclusion based on sessions of the HRM Council meetings that I have watched.

However, the anti-development gang's opinions don't represent the views of the older generation (I think that includes me but I am not sure what age range you are referring to as the older generation). Just remember that the developers of 2032 - 2050 Robie Street are from the older generation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
Hey!
I am an older boomer and do NOT want to be grouped with Bev Miller and gang.
Fair enough. I'll retract my boomer line; certainly there are boomers here with much better perspectives/views.

Maybe a better descriptor is older/wealthy property owners who, via NIMBYism, oppose any changes in the city to protect their incumbent property wealth? It just happens that Boomers are more wealthy and property owning than younger generations. So, correlation not causation.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 9:14 PM

Thank you for retracting about the boomers, but seems you have just changed feet and put some money in my pocket.
Bev Miller and Gang are unique to themselves with their own agenda.
Needs no links to any other citizens.
(I hope she is much older than I because I hope I don't look that old.)
hehe

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth