HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 2:24 AM

Viperlord Posted these in thread #4. They’re on the site announced.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 2:25 AM

2019 is going to be a great year can’t wait

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 2:54 AM

Here’s more from the trib.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/11/...ncentives-okd/

Says it’s 29 stories. Seems like that would make it taller than 325 feet.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 3:45 AM

With the details of the CCH now flushed out and ending up on the small end, perhaps this will open the door for Held Properties to finalize their plans and other developments like it? Or perhaps this put a nail in some of their coffins too?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post
Here’s more from the trib.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/11/...ncentives-okd/

Says it’s 29 stories. Seems like that would make it taller than 325 feet.
Hmmmm, interesting. 325' would be short for 29 stories. I wonder if it was misreported, and that it is actually 375'. The 30 story Promontory is about 370', but it doesn't have large floor heights at the base for convention space.

Anyways, here are two massings. one at 325' and one at 375'.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 4:44 AM
They all float down here

People say, "why wouldn't you want Holladay to merge into Salt Lake City?

This is why...

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/11/...ay-voters-are/

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 4:52 AM

A few things to note:

1. The design that Viperlord posted was just a concept and not the actual design.
2. The hotel will not be able to occupy the entire open space on Google Maps. By this I mean that it cannot go all the way to the north as the loading area has to remain in use during the construction of the CCH.
3. If you are looking at Google Maps, the area impacted is only within the curved section as below (blue square): (I updated the image that airhero had previously posted)

4. It may be possible that the CCH and the CC can share and both utilize the loading area once the CCH is complete for the CCH deliveries, garbage pickup, and so forth.
5. The current entrance on 200 South will continue to be for the Convention Center buses/shuttles/taxies/Uber/Lyfts and so forth. Any direct drop off area for the CCH should be expected along West Temple.
6. The 325' height is just preliminary based on a 700 room hotel. A 750 room hotel would be at 375'.
7. The rooms were not capped by the County but the location and zoning height.
8. As some may have suspected, there is a reason that the Block 67 hotel for phase 2 is around 350 rooms and would have a possible construction start date of 2022.
9. If the hotel does bring in more convention bookings than expected once construction starts, the possibility for the North Hotel + Residential opens. Timing on this depends on the overall occupancy rates post CCH completion and the Arrow Press Square development.
10. Yes, the Arrow Press Square development is still in process. As the location wasn't selected for the CCH prior to the death, plans were set in motion for a 500+ room hotel on the SE corner of 100S and West Temple. I don't have more information on the APS development as I think it has been going slowly as they have been waiting for news regarding the CCH.
11. Once the CCH is complete, the SLC Downtown area will have over 8,000 hotel rooms. This does not count Block 67 (Phase 1, 230 rooms or Phase 2, 350 rooms), APS, 370 Millennium, or any other upcoming project. For perspective - Downtown Denver has Approx 10,000 rooms, Downtown OKC has 2,800, and Kansas City will soon have Approx 5,400 rooms. SLC punches well above its size for hotel rooms.

The next few years will see a massive amount of construction happening downtown with a return of the tower cranes starting next year. Tower 8, CCH, Liberty Sky, Block 67 Phase 1 Residential, Block 67 Phase 1 Hotel, and 650 Main are all currently projected to break ground next year. 370 Millennium (Held), is also a possibility for a 2019 start. 255 S State would be 2020 and Block 67 Phase 2 would be 2022/2023 to start.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 5:32 AM

Thanks Makid! I feel like you have had a lot of information for a long time that you probably really wanted to share but couldn't. Does it feel nice to have some of this off your chest?

Anyway, some are obviously disappointed that the building won't be taller, but given all the struggles this project has had it's just great that it is moving forward. It will bring more conventions to the area, which will in turn spur more development.

Also, any idea on when renderings might become available? Has Portman Group already started working on the project or did they just now sign on?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 6:19 AM
Let It Rise!

[QUOTE=Anyway, some are obviously disappointed that the building won't be taller, but given all the struggles this project has had it's just great that it is moving forward. It will bring more conventions to the area, which will in turn spur more development.[/QUOTE]

The only reason why I was disappointed was because of reporting from different news media stating that the hotel tower would be 16 stories tall, the size of the Marriott Hotel. My disappointment and thoughts were, we waited so long for something of 16 stories.

Then this link was posted, stating a 29 story tower. (which I am much more happy with) https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/11/...ncentives-okd/

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post

This is why...

This is so fucking ridiculous.

The Utah Supreme Court needs to nullify this decision. The citizens have no right to block a project that falls within existing zoning rules and has been approved by the city council.

They had TWENTY public meetings on this project. They altered the plans after considerable citizen backlash. They listened to the citizen's concerns about height, green space, and retail.

What more do these people want?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
This is so fucking ridiculous.

The Utah Supreme Court needs to nullify this decision. The citizens have no right to block a project that falls within existing zoning rules and has been approved by the city council.

They had TWENTY public meetings on this project. They altered the plans after considerable citizen backlash. They listened to the citizen's concerns about height, green space, and retail.

What more do these people want?
Agreed. If the Utah Supreme Court makes the wrong decision and sides with the busybodies who feel they have the right to dictate to developers to this level, it will have chilling effect on projects that developers think could be controversial. You will see them not take chances and avoiding cities where these NIMBYS are the most vocal. The State will have a really hard time getting ahead of the housing imbalance.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 2:49 PM

It really feels like there is real momentum for a huge 2019 downtown.

What I love about the CCH, Tower 8, Liberty Sky and Block 67 is (1) they stretch our skyline both east and west and (2) they are a good mix of residential, commercial, and hospitality putting more residents, workers, and tourists on our streets.

If all four of these break ground next year, that would be amazing.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 5:39 PM

Here's a short video clip from KUTV on the CCH.

https://kutv.com/news/local/conventi...plans-approved

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 8:09 PM

Utah 3rd least stressful state

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushiof View Post
Here's a short video clip from KUTV on the CCH.

https://kutv.com/news/local/conventi...plans-approved
Okay. Now it's pretty clear that the reporter had some incorrect statements about the height. She said it was going to be 325' tall and she also said that it would be about the same height as the 16-story Marriott on 1st and West Temple. So, obviously there is some incorrect info about the height. I'm betting that it is 375 feet.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 11:18 PM

Can somebody please post the SL Tribune article. I live in Germany and the link to the Tribune is blocked. but give credit to the Tribune.

Bad

Yes the height sucks(not 450-500 like we hoped for)
Yes it's not a signature tower we all wanted
The reporter saying that a 29 story building is going to be as tall as a 16 story building is just sad.

Good

It will boost Utah's economy by attracting bigger (richer) conventions
It will add a few new cranes
It will stretch the skyline West
It will fill a hole in the skyline looking East
375' is better than the sidewalk currently on the site

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 11:38 PM

/\/\/\ Ya, forget about the 16-story part. That's completely incorrect.

Here's a partial of the Trib article stating 29-stories and 750 rooms:
Quote:
Officials have approved a package of tax incentives for private developers that clears the way for construction of a towering convention hotel in the heart of Salt Lake City.

After months of behind-the-scenes negotiations, state, county and economic-development officials voted Tuesday in support of up to $75 million in post-performance tax rebates for private firms Portman Holdings and DDRM over 20 years, in exchange for constructing a 29-story hotel with up to 750 rooms, expansive meeting spaces and a grand ballroom.

“It’s been the little-big hotel that could,” said Scott Beck, president and CEO for Visit Salt Lake, leader of Salt Lake County’s efforts to attract tourism and conventions.

The $337 million hotel is slated to rise on the southeast corner of the Calvin L. Rampton Salt Lake Palace Convention Center on 200 S. West Temple, officials said. Groundbreaking is now planned for fall 2019, they said, and the hotel is scheduled to open in spring 2022.

After protracted talks in recent months said to focus on the hotel’s exact location, the final package of sales and property tax rebates was approved Tuesday morning in a unanimous vote by board members of Gov. Gary Herbert’s Office of Economic Development.

“Today was the culmination of a decade or longer of work trying to put together a really meaningful convention hotel project in Salt Lake City,” said Ben Hart, GOED’s deputy director.

Salt Lake City Mayor Jackie Biskupski welcomed the announcement, calling the hotel “a needed amenity in our city.”

“The proposed hotel will allow Salt Lake to attract larger conventions and future national and international events, furthering our place as a worldwide destination,” Biskupski said.

Though it has met opposition from some smaller hotel operators, multiple studies over the years have highlighted the economic potential of a sizable downtown hotel with large blocks of rooms and expansive meeting places — not least, according to Beck, as a way to maximize economic gains from the Salt Palace.

“This hotel,” Beck said, “is focused on ensuring the long-term viability of the convention center,” which he noted now operates at about 55 percent of its capacity.

After protracted talks in recent months said to focus on the hotel’s exact location, the final package of sales and property tax rebates was approved Tuesday morning in a unanimous vote by board members of Gov. Gary Herbert’s Office of Economic Development.

“Today was the culmination of a decade or longer of work trying to put together a really meaningful convention hotel project in Salt Lake City,” said Ben Hart, GOED’s deputy director.

Salt Lake City Mayor Jackie Biskupski welcomed the announcement, calling the hotel “a needed amenity in our city.”

“The proposed hotel will allow Salt Lake to attract larger conventions and future national and international events, furthering our place as a worldwide destination,” Biskupski said.

Though it has met opposition from some smaller hotel operators, multiple studies over the years have highlighted the economic potential of a sizable downtown hotel with large blocks of rooms and expansive meeting places — not least, according to Beck, as a way to maximize economic gains from the Salt Palace.

“This hotel,” Beck said, “is focused on ensuring the long-term viability of the convention center,” which he noted now operates at about 55 percent of its capacity.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 11:48 PM
Let It Rise!

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com

Last edited by ctobsl; Nov 7, 2018 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Deleted, duplicate posting.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post

This is why...

I have stayed very close to this story as I am a Holladay resident.. At first, I was absolutely for this proposal to be approved. I am obviously, PRO DEVELOPMENT or I wouldn't be following this tread... I would often get into debates about how SL county is growing and the only way for it to grow is to go UP.. That site, needs to be developed and hopefully it will.

Then, I was having an interesting conversation with a guy in my neighborhood who owns a very successful luxury home building company who told me he was against the proposal. He said his NUMBER ONE reason for voting against the proposal is not because he is anti-development in Holladay but because Ivory Homes and Woodbury Corp. are in charge of the project... In his experience they are the ULTIMATE penny pinchers and do tacky (stucco) work. I mean, just look at Ivory Homes, they suck.. Holladay is a classy town, just look at our recent downtown additions. He said he would be more than happy to vote for a project that was done the RIGHT WAY by developers (preferably not from Utah) who know how to do high class projects... Lets face it, Utah is full of cheapskates, it's part of the culture.

Anyways, just thought I'd add my two cents. I think a lot of people understand that the site is going to be developed but also want to keep the Holladay charm and classiness that Holladay is used to and that would not be the case with Ivory or Woodbury. I do think SOME Holladay residents do not want anything to go there, ever.. That site needs to be developed but it should be done the right way or not at all.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Density is SOOOOO much more important that height. In fact, there is a case to be made that the higher the building is, the worse the street front engagement. I'm stoked. Keep building stubbies. I'd be happy if we landed four of five more 300-400 footers than two five hundred footers. Stoked to see the design and what nameplate it lands. That Atlanta building is RAD.
1) Tall buildings are really good at the whole density thing. In fact it is the whole point of tall buildings. A lot of people in a small footprint.

2) It's not an either or proposition. Development begets development. It snowballs, especially when the fundamentals for growth are already in place. I'd rather have 2 500 footers and 4-5 300 footers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West