HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 5:11 PM

845 W Madision

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 5:39 PM

^ large

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
This location has just been screaming for a tall building and always gets postponed or sidetracked...maybe one day.. I feel like were starting to get a slow down of new proposals of taller buildings (over 500ft )

Fast-fashion brand Primark to open Chicago store on State Street

"Primark signed a lease to take over the three-level, 45,000-square-foot store at 35 N. State St., a space that has been empty since Gap closed its store in 2017, according to the property’s developer, The Georgetown Co."

"Georgetown initially planned to replace the building with a mixed-use high-rise but found the property had enough value as a retail space that they were better off focusing on quickly finding a new tenant, said CEO Adam Flatto. Primark’s lease is a “long-term commitment," pushing any potential plans for a taller development off for many years, he said."

https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...3da-story.html
The building is fine, plenty of other spots in this town that can use a high rise.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 7:43 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
Is Bentham ever going to happen?
Do we want it to start?

Quote:
This location has just been screaming for a tall building and always gets postponed or sidetracked...maybe one day.. I feel like were starting to get a slow down of new proposals of taller buildings (over 500ft )
They have been marketing this space for lease for a long time, so I'm not sure how serious they were about immediately redeveloping it. We'll see how long Primark lasts, but in the meantime another retail gap filled. Now what I'd really love to see happen is the redevelopment of those GSA properties a few blocks south.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
The building is fine, plenty of other spots in this town that can use a high rise.
Would be another nice corner for Conservatory Tower.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
This is a prime location in the heart of loop. There may be other lots in other parts of town a plenty but the Loop proper itself especially along state street doesn't have many big lots left...and the lots that are left in loop seem to be getting some econobox apts... outside of the wacker drive office towers what other tall apartment/hotel/condo have the central loop had? Legacy is the last significant i remember height wise.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 3:09 AM

Hope this lot gets started up soon...

I definitely am seeing dirt movement now. Wonder if permits have come through?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2019, 12:10 PM

^That first one isn't still going to be that boring 50 story thing CA posted earlier, is it? Thats a damn travesty. Mandarin Oriental and Waldorf were our two biggest misses from last cycle. Not including the two that got started but not finished

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 2:07 AM
Chicago

Gr333n - 333 N Green

June 25, 2019

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 2:12 AM
Chicago

727 W Madion and Union West - 935 W Washington

June 25, 2019

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 2:14 AM
Chicago

Old Town Park 2 - 202 W Hill

June 25, 2019

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 2:15 AM
Chicago

West End on Fulton - 1375 W Fulton Market

June 25, 2019

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 2:53 AM

^^^That's a great shot of Morgan Station.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 4:14 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
^That first one isn't still going to be that boring 50 story thing CA posted earlier, is it? Thats a damn travesty. Mandarin Oriental and Waldorf were our two biggest misses from last cycle. Not including the two that got started but not finished
Looks like they are looking for EB-5 money:

Quote:
210 North Stetson is a mixed-use, residential and retail development located in the highly-visible heart of the Loop, a bustling commercial area and vibrant cultural center in downtown Chicago, Illinois. The project will contain approximately 639 residential housing units, 17,500 square feet of retail space and 271 parking stalls. The development will be highly-amenitized and will include: a resident lounge / kitchen area, gym, yoga studio, level 2 outdoor amenity deck, media room and rooftop amenity deck + pool, amongst other items. In addition, the Project will maintain a sophisticated landscaping plan that will be complimented by a grand turnaround entrance off Stetson Avenue, a retail patio, lawn area, bike pavilion and dog run.

---

In better news, it looks like the giant parking garage at Franklin and Lake is for sale. Would be amazing to see it get redeveloped along with some other prominent Loop garages.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
In better news, it looks like the giant parking garage at Franklin and Lake is for sale. Would be amazing to see it get redeveloped along with some other prominent Loop garages.
It baffles me every time that the lot adjacent to the Sears friggin' Tower is a 3-4 level parking garage. Just ... the worst.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
It baffles me every time that the lot adjacent to the Sears friggin' Tower is a 3-4 level parking garage. Just ... the worst.
Nobody tell Gebs that there's multiple vacant lots within a two block radius... I don't want to break his little heart even more...

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 3:43 PM

PRAYING TO GOD we get something tall there. We need some more height in that area of the skyline.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 5:39 PM
you know where I'll be

Realtors Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
^^^ That's a dam shame. I didn't realize it used looked so good!
I'm also curious if anyone has any images of the proposed super tall that would of been on the lot behind.

Likewise, had no idea. What a solid piece of design this once was....

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 5:46 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
outside of the wacker drive office towers what other tall apartment/hotel/condo have the central loop had? Legacy is the last significant i remember height wise.
the loop proper (michigan, north branch, south branch, congress) is no longer the center of chicago skyscrapers it once was.

in 1999, chicago had 12 towers over 700', 6 of the them were in the loop proper (50%).

since 2000, chicago has built 14 towers over 700' (including U/C), only 2 of them have been built in the loop proper (14%).

so today, only 8 of chicago's 26 700+ footers are in the loop proper (31%).

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 5:55 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Do we want it to start?

They have been marketing this space for lease for a long time, so I'm not sure how serious they were about immediately redeveloping it. We'll see how long Primark lasts, but in the meantime another retail gap filled. Now what I'd really love to see happen is the redevelopment of those GSA properties a few blocks south.
The available evidence strongly now makes me think that it's likely Georgetown was not in fact serious about a high-rise redevelopment. Just look at this preposterous quote from their CEO below. "Quickly"? Georgetown purchased the property in 2011. "Better off" with just a retail re-tenanting? Yes, because if there's one thing that's clear about dense urban infill sites in great mixed-use areas in this era, it's that they are best developed/redeveloped/maintained as stand-alone single-use retail - of all property types.

"Georgetown initially planned to replace the building with a mixed-use high-rise but found the property had enough value as a retail space that they were better off focusing on quickly finding a new tenant, said CEO Adam Flatto

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations