HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
The floor-to-ceiling open facade along Armitage seems to violate Mr Downtown's First Law of Pharmacy Retailing: People don't want to be watched while looking for cold sore cream in a drugstore.
I mean, couldn't they just put the cold sore cream in the back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
That's close enough to the luxe residential district that I wonder if nimbyism figures heavily in redevelopment ideas for that corner.
Probably a park.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 5:37 AM
TL;DR

It's kinda weird, but a huge step up for the big W. Walgreens like other stores (Apple) seems to realize that in wealthy and pedestrian-heavy districts, they need to provide something more to draw customers in.

moar plz

This is the Walgreens they're erecting down here in NOLA... also fairly impressive.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The Lathrop Homes had their community meeting a few weeks ago, and now they are accepting feedback on the three site-plan alternatives. Some of these include high-rises, so many members here might want to provide feedback. The web survey runs until December 15.

http://www.lathropcommunity.org/index.html

technically they are not alternatives. They present a variety of approaches for solving issues resulting from constraints imposed by the developer as well as those inherent to the site. They are asking for feedback on the components of each "alternative" so that 2 site plans can be developed from those comments. Then after a set of meetings regarding those plans, a final planned development will be presented, and approved. So yes, comment on Lathrop, but remember that the riverfront park is not in contradiction to Great Lawn preservation, and mid rises vs towers are not tied to parking lots vs parking garages, etc.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
A secret black-ops task force hellbent on assembling the circle line under the cover of darkness.
It's interesting to me that if the Circle Line was built, it could only operate as a circle if the Clinton Subway was built. Since otherwise, it would clog the already congested state street subway, meaning that the frequency of trains on the north side Red line would have to decrease without the addition of another downtown subway (Clinton). Oh how I wish I could be on a black-ops transit task force.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 11:29 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by a chicago bearcat View Post
It's interesting to me that if the Circle Line was built, it could only operate as a circle if the Clinton Subway was built. Since otherwise, it would clog the already congested state street subway, meaning that the frequency of trains on the north side Red line would have to decrease without the addition of another downtown subway (Clinton). Oh how I wish I could be on a black-ops transit task force.
That's not actually true. The Red Line could with more frequency than it currently does - the limiting factor currently is the Clark Junction where the northbound Brown Line crosses it. Without that it could handle at least 50% more trains. With Circle Line trains handling some of the traffic in the downtown area, it might even be possible to decrease the number of Red Line trains by a few to improve further the possibilities (maybe). As it is, even at rush hour, the Red Line currently only runs about every 4-5 minutes. If the Circle Line and the Red Line both ran every 6 minutes, it'd be a big improvement in frequency for trips starting and ending from North to Cermak.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 1:13 AM

Quote:
It's interesting to me that if the Circle Line was built, it could only operate as a circle if the Clinton Subway was built. Since otherwise, it would clog the already congested state street subway, meaning that the frequency of trains on the north side Red line would have to decrease without the addition of another downtown subway (Clinton)..
Similar to what emathias stated, the Red works on a (scheduled) peak frequency of 3 minutes. With an unclogging of the Clark Street junction via a Brown Line flyover the frequency could easily improve with a few tracking upgrades, allowing for tighter headways. While that may not be needed on the Howard branch of the Red, you could theoretically funnel other lines onto its track.

In addition to the Circle Line sharing the State Street Subway with the Red, you could have the Purple Line share track between Addison and North/Clybourn with the Red Line if it were to be routed into a new Clinton Street Subway.

Anyways... this doesnt really belong here. Mods?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 2:05 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
technically they are not alternatives. They present a variety of approaches for solving issues resulting from constraints imposed by the developer as well as those inherent to the site. They are asking for feedback on the components of each "alternative" so that 2 site plans can be developed from those comments. Then after a set of meetings regarding those plans, a final planned development will be presented, and approved. So yes, comment on Lathrop, but remember that the riverfront park is not in contradiction to Great Lawn preservation, and mid rises vs towers are not tied to parking lots vs parking garages, etc.
Ah, that makes sense. The survey asked about specific elements, so I assume they're trying to get some opinions about each component of the design.

Have you been to the meetings? What is the sentiment among community members about preservation? If CHA's propaganda video is to be believed, all the neighborhood residents want it erased off the face of the earth.

The scary parts of the interior are largely due to CHA neglect. If you leave 80% of the apartments vacant and unheated without taking proper measures to weatherproof and blow out the pipes, of course you're gonna get damage. I'm also troubled by the decision to dump steam heat, BTW.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 4:09 PM

Tartan check-mate: Burberry's Reinvigorates the Mag Mile

God save us from the tasteful.

In selecting the new Burberry store on Michigan Avenue as her calling-card critique, interim Tribune architecture critic Cheryl Kent has chosen to rechannel Blair Kamin's worst schoolmarm tendencies, slamming it as "a screaming chrome ornament", "a boor", and a "noisy drunk", concluding, "That's sort of a bad joke like the Burberry store is a really not-funny, bad joke." (Seriously - does that last sentence even qualify as English?)

To be sure, there's a lot to be offended by on Michigan Avenue, from the ballroom bunker of the Marriott, to the sugar-candy grotesque of John Buck's 600 North Michigan. To be offended, instead, by Burberry's, however, is an admission of catatonia.

http://arcchicago.blogspot.com/2012/...burberrys.html

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Ah, that makes sense. The survey asked about specific elements, so I assume they're trying to get some opinions about each component of the design.

Have you been to the meetings? What is the sentiment among community members about preservation? If CHA's propaganda video is to be believed, all the neighborhood residents want it erased off the face of the earth.

The scary parts of the interior are largely due to CHA neglect. If you leave 80% of the apartments vacant and unheated without taking proper measures to weatherproof and blow out the pipes, of course you're gonna get damage. I'm also troubled by the decision to dump steam heat, BTW.

Video Link
There were quite a few people who seemed willing to tear down everything if it meant getting a beautiful riverfront park. Which seemed odd to me given the existing site conditions. There also seemed to be a big gap between long term residents and new arrivals (as to be expected). Eliminating the existing buildings completely was a non starter for most long term residents I know from the area, while density and height was a sticking point for newer arrivals I talked with at the meeting this past month.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2012, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitledreality View Post
Similar to what emathias stated, the Red works on a (scheduled) peak frequency of 3 minutes. With an unclogging of the Clark Street junction via a Brown Line flyover the frequency could easily improve with a few tracking upgrades, allowing for tighter headways. While that may not be needed on the Howard branch of the Red, you could theoretically funnel other lines onto its track.

In addition to the Circle Line sharing the State Street Subway with the Red, you could have the Purple Line share track between Addison and North/Clybourn with the Red Line if it were to be routed into a new Clinton Street Subway.

Anyways... this doesnt really belong here. Mods?
Yeah, if we could move it to the transit thread for Chicago, that'd be awesome. I've been told by CTA officials that there are other constraints in the subway section of the Red line that limits eventual run times to 2.5 minutes at most. This was in response to a plan I had floated involving cost savings/crowding reduction through rerouting rather than through bus line elimination.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
Tartan check-mate: Burberry's Reinvigorates the Mag Mile

God save us from the tasteful.

In selecting the new Burberry store on Michigan Avenue as her calling-card critique, interim Tribune architecture critic Cheryl Kent has chosen to rechannel Blair Kamin's worst schoolmarm tendencies, slamming it as "a screaming chrome ornament", "a boor", and a "noisy drunk", concluding, "That's sort of a bad joke like the Burberry store is a really not-funny, bad joke." (Seriously - does that last sentence even qualify as English?)

To be sure, there's a lot to be offended by on Michigan Avenue, from the ballroom bunker of the Marriott, to the sugar-candy grotesque of John Buck's 600 North Michigan. To be offended, instead, by Burberry's, however, is an admission of catatonia.

http://arcchicago.blogspot.com/2012/...burberrys.html
Lynn Becker is my hero.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 4:38 AM

Source: Target In Talks To Purchase Lincoln-Belmont-Ashland Building

Roscoe View Journal

By Mike Fourcher

December 4, 2012

Quote:
Target Corporation is close to purchasing the former LaSalle Bank Building at 3201 N. Ashland Ave., a source close to the situation has told Roscoe View Journal.
http://www.roscoeviewjournal.com/new...hland-building

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 4:47 PM

Lot at Clark and Polk is now closed. AMLI project might be starting soon.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcpamba View Post
Lot at Clark and Polk is now closed. AMLI project might be starting soon.
I live nearby and was hearing pile drivers this morning. I'm guessing they're starting on the foundation.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 8:00 PM
The City

^ Can somebody remind me what project this is?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 8:56 PM
you know where I'll be

^ It's AMLI, so you know it's not gonna be pretty.

Last I think anybody on here had heard it was a 2-building midrise development with around 400 rental units.....good to have more people living in the area, and after that I'm running out of good things to say about this one....

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 8:58 PM
you know where I'll be

Virgin Hotel

Anybody know if interior demo/construction has truly started on the Virgin Hotel project at Lake and Wabash? Difficult to tell as a casual passerby.....nothing much noticeable at least appears to be happening as of yet......

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 9:01 PM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Can somebody remind me what project this is?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2012, 10:04 PM

It's going in right next to another AMLI development, so there will be 3 AMLI buildings in a row. At least the new development has retail.

I'm curious about the trucks and crews I've seen in the vacant lot on the other side of the Metra tracks (Polk and W 9th, I guess). https://maps.google.com/maps?q=60605...gl=us&t=h&z=18

Is it something to do with the Roosevelt development?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2012, 12:39 AM
Urbane observer

^No, ComEd is putting in a big (245,000 volt) underground transmission line under 9th Street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development