HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 5:40 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Someone working on the 44 East project sent me this. This is the project that should have a public observation deck.

If not there, then at least on the lot next to the Holiday Inn...I haven't heard anything about that tower in a while. Another potential candidate could be the Statesman site if the height could be increased, but the view down the river like that is certainly the best view. What a great photo!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 10:31 PM

I hope we fill up south of the river with skyscrapers soon too... so much empty, wasted space there right now (minus Zilker Park and stuff, obviously).

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Another potential candidate could be the Statesman site if the height could be increased, but the view down the river like that is certainly the best view. What a great photo!
Yes. And an observation deck would be great to pair with an expanded/re-worked public space at the foot of the bridge for the bat-viewing crowds.

Side note, and I don't mean to derail the thread, but I've always thought it would be cool if we had some kind of exhibit on the Mexican free tail bat nearby the bridge. Great opportunity to educate people and give them something to do in the area before/after the bats take flight.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
Side note, and I don't mean to derail the thread, but I've always thought it would be cool if we had some kind of exhibit on the Mexican free tail bat nearby the bridge. Great opportunity to educate people and give them something to do in the area before/after the bats take flight.
Do you mean like the one put up by Bats Conservation International on the Statesman property below the Congress Avenue Bridge, or the one on the north shore along the Butler Trail near the Four Seasons?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Do you mean like the one put up by Bats Conservation International on the Statesman property below the Congress Avenue Bridge, or the one on the north shore along the Butler Trail near the Four Seasons?
These are just a series of placards right? I'm thinking something more interactive and kid-friendly, like an actual museum exhibit.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
I hope we fill up south of the river with skyscrapers soon too... so much empty, wasted space there right now (minus Zilker Park and stuff, obviously).
I think to see that, we'll need at least one building that's significantly taller than the Catherine, and the silver Jawa sand-crawler (blanking on its name...).

Then other developers would see it as viable, and it'd be possible for more. That said, it seems like something on the Statesman lot is by far the best bet.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 10:26 PM

[IMG]DJI_0404-HDR by Jason Luebbe, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]DJI_0394-HDR-Pano by Jason Luebbe, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]DJI_0371 by Jason Luebbe, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]DJI_0351-HDR-Pano by Jason Luebbe, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 11:06 PM

Very nice!

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 2:00 PM
World Traveler

River looks nasty, but the skyline looks great!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 2:29 PM

Quote:
River looks nasty, but the skyline looks great!
I was going to say something about that. I used to regularly canoe from Zilker park before it was a thing (we're talking mid to late 70s here) and I remember how amazing it was to me at that time that the water was so clean that I could swim without a second thought. When I see what the water looks like in a lot of the pictures posted here, I can't imagine taking a canoe out on that water, let alone actually going for a swim in it.

Ladybird lake is as big a part of the unique beauty of downtown Austin as the skyscrapers we love so much. Does anyone know if the city has any plans to do anything about the water in Ladybird lake? Surely they can treat the water to kill the algal blooms, remove silt, and clean up the trash.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resansom View Post
I was going to say something about that. I used to regularly canoe from Zilker park before it was a thing (we're talking mid to late 70s here) and I remember how amazing it was to me at that time that the water was so clean that I could swim without a second thought. When I see what the water looks like in a lot of the pictures posted here, I can't imagine taking a canoe out on that water, let alone actually going for a swim in it.

Ladybird lake is as big a part of the unique beauty of downtown Austin as the skyscrapers we love so much. Does anyone know if the city has any plans to do anything about the water in Ladybird lake? Surely they can treat the water to kill the algal blooms, remove silt, and clean up the trash.
Agreed. In some of my pictures the lake is a very ugly green. I had to walk along the hike and bike trail to get into position to take these photos and the lake smelled awful. That was even away from the homeless. There was two people cleaning up trash along the lake but that is not enough for how much trash was down there.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 3:32 PM

I'm a Biology lab tech at ACC. A couple weeks ago I took some samples from Lady Bird Lake at Auditorium Shores as well as the new water garden at Waterloo Park for the students to look at under a microscope. When I brought them in and took off the lids I almost gagged. I had to leave the samples in the fume hood so they wouldn't stink up the classroom.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 3:53 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
I'm a Biology lab tech at ACC. A couple weeks ago I took some samples from Lady Bird Lake at Auditorium Shores as well as the new water garden at Waterloo Park for the students to look at under a microscope. When I brought them in and took off the lids I almost gagged. I had to leave the samples in the fume hood so they wouldn't stink up the classroom.

So what's the verdict? Is it toxic sludge or not?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 4:30 PM

Quote:
So what's the verdict? Is it toxic sludge or not?
Better question: how long until we reach this:

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 4:49 PM

Pretty sure he lives here.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
Pretty sure he lives here.

OK, to be fair, that is a water quality pond that is supposed to capture and treat pollutants from all the new impervious cover in the park before it goes into Lady Bird Lake. It looks like it is working.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 7:01 PM

Whatever happened to those invasive mussels that were clearing out the water? Are those still a thing?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 7:04 PM
Old West Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by resansom View Post
Better question: how long until we reach this:

Pretty good dental work for a slime monster

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverranchdrone View Post
[IMG]DJI_0404-HDR by Jason Luebbe, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]DJI_0394-HDR-Pano by Jason Luebbe, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]DJI_0371 by Jason Luebbe, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]DJI_0351-HDR-Pano by Jason Luebbe, on Flickr[/IMG]
Good lord thats a lot of surface lots around Statesman site. That can't get redeveloped soon enough. What a hole in the city.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2021, 7:16 PM

One good, prolonged rain event and some of the gunk will be washed down stream, only to be replaced by trash and debris. Better trade off? I think lawn fertilizer from all the houses upstream has something to do with it. We keep feeding the geew.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin