HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Curious what you guys think of these infill projects... they're both in older neighbourhoods. I can't tell if the heritage elements are tacky to visitors or not.

This one is in Georgestown. It has garages, which is rare for the neighbourhood.

I'm quite fond of them, especially with the wooden porches, but the side wall would look better with windows.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 9:34 PM

That charcoal grey faux "stacked stone" on those townhomes is awful.

The single family home isnt that bad.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
I'm quite fond of them, especially with the wooden porches, but the side wall would look better with windows.
I don't understand the placement of the front doors at all. They should be set down at the ground level, not a half-storey up. The wooden porches, imho, are gross. And yes, the lack of windows on the side of the end unit does seem like a wasted opportunity.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 2:18 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Curious what you guys think of these infill projects... they're both in older neighbourhoods. I can't tell if the heritage elements are tacky to visitors or not.

This one is in Georgestown. It has garages, which is rare for the neighbourhood.

I want to say it's OK for St.John's, but that's too patronizing. They are too simplistic, two-dimensional, too flat, totally featureless. If you take away the conventional windows and door, there are no real architectural features; the tacked on "playpen" steps don't blend into the architecture at all, and the entrances have no articulation or protection from the weather. Fail. The lack of landscaping and ugly asphalt looks like a place where you would throw garbage unapologetically. The colours are nice though. The single family is ok, also bland, with some odd and questionable features, but in a 1930s doctor's house sort of way.

Last edited by Architype; Oct 29, 2018 at 2:30 AM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 1:11 PM

Quote:

Without knowing their context, I'd say that they look pretty tastefully done. The only thing I'm not crazy about are the steps/porches on the townhouses, which look very low-budget compared to the rest of the home which has fairly nice details.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 2:10 PM
arf

If all of Canada's infill was as reasonably done as that I think we'd all be pretty happy. The wooden porches are terrible, but having lived in St.John's that is pretty much the only material I believe you are allowed to build that sort of thing with.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 2:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
The single family is ok, also bland, with some odd and questionable features, but in a 1930s doctor's house sort of way.
As a physician, I'm not sure what you mean about the "doctor's house" comment.

Are you implying "pretentious upper middle class???"

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 3:33 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Every town here has an historic "doctor's house" that's especially elaborate. Almost certainly tacky at the time but they generally look okay by today's standards.

Some have become businesses: www.doctorshousenewfoundland.com/the-inn/

Overall seems like a lukewarm tolerance of those infill projects. That's good - I wasn't far off in my own feelings.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 3:46 PM

Never heard of a "doctor's house" before. All it makes me think of are the old houses that had the doctors/dentist's office incorporated/attached.

Some examples in DTK:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.45244...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.45224...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.44701...7i13312!8i6656

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 4:29 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:

They're definitely not good - they're too big and cumbersome for that style, and at that size need more articulation in the form. Plus the windows look undersized and their placement is weird (that the front door is unaligned with the randomly-arched window above really bothers me), and the porches are awful. Those ledgestone-clad sections between each house are an odd choice as well.

...However, when considered within their context they're not so bad. The materials and colours relate to those of their neighbours, and they're otherwise unobtrusive in any way. It's mediocre filler that will fade into the background and that's not a terrible thing.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 7:31 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Houses built by government near hospitals, they looked rather institutional. Also, houses built to accommodate doctor's offices, austere.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I don't understand the placement of the front doors at all. They should be set down at the ground level, not a half-storey up.
I hadn't noticed that. It does look odd. I guess the entrance is a landing between the first and second story.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 7:40 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
I hadn't noticed that. It does look odd. I guess the entrance is a landing between the first and second story.
The split entrances is a thing they've been doing in NL since the 70s, it's more rare elsewhere. In Vancouver the entrances would almost certainly be at ground level. Why would you want stairs on the outside when they could be inside?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 7:47 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
The split entrances is a thing they've been doing in NL since the 70s, it's more rare elsewhere. In Vancouver the entrances would almost certainly be at ground level. Why would you want stairs on the outside when they could be inside?
I didn't understand KW's response but was afraid to ask. So it's not as common elsewhere? Excluding houses from the early 1900s and earlier, a significant percentage have that elevated split level thing. You walk inside to a landing with stairs doing down and up directly in front of you. Often the living room floor is at the same height as this landing, but to get there you go up stairs to the hallway/bedrooms/kitchen, and then down stairs from the dining room and hallway to the living room.

I think it's a cheap way to get high ceilings in the living room, and to not have to blast down as far to provide a basement.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 9:11 PM

Yeah I've never understood the split level entry love here, I really hate them. You essentially throw your front door on the staircase to the basement. Not very grand, is it?

Then to throw in the M. Night Shyamalan twist, in a lot of these split-entry homes, you never use the front door. Going in and out of the house? Through the back door by the kitchen. All the time, every time.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 10:36 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Yeah I've never understood the split level entry love here, I really hate them. You essentially throw your front door on the staircase to the basement. Not very grand, is it?

Then to throw in the M. Night Shyamalan twist, in a lot of these split-entry homes, you never use the front door. Going in and out of the house? Through the back door by the kitchen. All the time, every time.
Except in a row house where you can't get to the back door.

Split entry only makes sense if it avoids having steps outside the house, because outside steps are more dangerous in winter or wet conditions.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 1:08 AM

Quote:
I'm trying to imagine the vestibule with a half flight of steps up and a half flight down and, in my mind, it just wastes space by doubling the width taken up by staircases. I guess I'd need to see a floor plan to understand.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 1:36 AM
The good old days are now

Plaza St-Hubert in Montreal... minus the canopy. To be fair a new canopy will replace the old one and the street will be redone... But I half wonder.. Do the canopies discourage property owners from renovating/redeveloping their buildings (when all anyone normally sees is the ground floor)?

IMG_6341 by Olivier Martineau, on Flickr

IMG_6340 by Olivier Martineau, on Flickr

IMG_6339 by Olivier Martineau, on Flickr

IMG_6338 by Olivier Martineau, on Flickr

IMG_6337 by Olivier Martineau, on Flickr

IMG_6332 by Olivier Martineau, on Flickr

IMG_6336 by Olivier Martineau, on Flickr

IMG_6333 by Olivier Martineau, on Flickr

IMG_6331 by Olivier Martineau, on Flickr

IMG_6328 by Olivier Martineau, on Flickr

IMG_6326 by Olivier Martineau, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 4:20 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ That block in Montreal looks like a competition for "ugliest commercial building".

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 11:59 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

That block is bad, yeah.

Modern example for you, KW:

This is how it looks:

My parents' place is the same.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada