HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 8:13 PM

A340-300
Minimum Take Off Distance -
3,000.00 metres 9,842.40 feet
Minimum Landing Distance -
1,926.00 metres 6,318.82 feet

YQR longest Runway: 7,901 ft 2,408m

Apparently a 747 needs about 7500ft, depends on elevation and model.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Wish they would extend the runway.
There are way more pressing needs like getting US routes back at the airport. There's no need for a longer runway as there's no need for very large planes to come here regularly. We aren't and never will be an in demand destination.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 3:17 PM

The Dublin/London routes from Halifax and St. John's are not that long by overseas standards. London to St. John's is, perhaps surprisingly, about 250 km shorter a flight than New York to Los Angeles. It's a very makeable distance for a standard narrow-body jet.

If Regina ever were to attract flights to overseas destinations, we absolutely would need a longer runway, but I don't see sufficient demand existing anytime soon. More likely, WestJet and Air Canada are going to funnel us through Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg to make the flights from those cities more viable.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftsman View Post
I don't think they can extend the main runway, at least not any meaningful distance, as the runway is kind of blocked by the CP Rail mainline to the northwest and Lewvan Drive to the southeast.

I don't see Regina being a market for large aircraft flying to Europe, for example. Airlines are getting away from large jets such as the B747 and A380, except in major markets or hubs such as Dubai. There are newer, more fuel efficient planes, such as the B787 and A350 which can fly ultra long distances. I don't know if our main runway is long enough for those. Perhaps skydivepilot might know. AC has been flying single-aisle jets, including the 737 Max 8 from Atlantic Canada to UK for example, although they do not have the range to fly from Regina to UK. The majority of planes already present at YQR are Dash-8 turboprops, and both of our runways are sufficient for them. Now that the winter charter season is coming to an end we will be seeing fewer jets at YQR.
Yeah, apparently, there is a plan to extend the threshold of Runway 13 to the northwest by 1200'. (9100' total length.) That would result in a new threshold for take-offs; however, the landing [then displaced] threshold would remain as it is. The extension would definitely increase aircraft speeds for V-1 (Rotation Speed), and the distance with regards for RTOs. (Rejected Take-Offs.) No-matter-what, an extra 800-some-odd feet of additional (V-1-related) take-off roll would still increase aircraft payload.

It would be difficult to extend the threshold of Runway 31 to the southeast because of the ILS. (Aside from that, there is still some real estate for pavement extension there.)

The threshold of Runway 08 can be extended [indefinitely?] to the west - or at least for an additional 5000' of runway distance. That's probably the most likely scenario for the future.

In any case, until YQR extends one of the runways, there will never be non-stop service to Europe.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 3:43 PM

^ Question for the experts, how long does a runway have to be to get to the point where it can handle any type of conventional commercial aircraft, fully loaded?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Question for the experts, how long does a runway have to be to get to the point where it can handle any type of conventional commercial aircraft, fully loaded?
The gold standard used to be 10,000 feet, but I understand a fully loaded A380 could require nearly 5000m at high elevation. Denver has a runway that is: 16,000 feet – more than three miles long (4,800 meters).

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
A340-300
Minimum Take Off Distance -
3,000.00 metres 9,842.40 feet
Minimum Landing Distance -
1,926.00 metres 6,318.82 feet

YQR longest Runway: 7,901 ft 2,408m

Apparently a 747 needs about 7500ft, depends on elevation and model.
Those numbers are not etched in stone Stormer. (I'll expand on this here.)

I'm not looking them up, but those figures would be based on a typical payload/aircraft weight scenario based on ISA conditions. (International Standard Atmosphere.) All aircraft are provided with with Take-Off performance charts with regards to Take-Off Distance (Ground Roll); and, Take-Off Distance, Ground Roll to 50' AGL. (About Ground Level.)

(+ charts for: climb-out; distance/fuel for climb; climb gradients, bla, bla, bla.)

That said, flight crews also need to consider:

For runways:
● Runway length;
● Runway surface contamination;
● Runway slope;
● Hard/soft runway;
● Wind speed and direction (including gusts);

Density Altitude:
● Heat/cold;
● Baro pressure;
● Humidity;
● Elevation

Or any combination thereof.

All the above conditions are still above and beyond any given payload.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
⬆⬆⬆Look above. ⬆⬆⬆😊

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 8:24 PM

Air X A-340 is back on the apron at YQR. It arrived yesterday from Nice.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...006Z/LFMN/CYQR
Date
Departure
Arrival
Aircraft
Duration
Wednesday
2019-Apr-17
12:06PM CEST Nice Cote d'Azur - NCE

01:51PM CST (?) Regina Int'l - YQR

-
9h 44m

Friday
2019-Apr-12
12:16PM CEST Munich Int'l - MUC

01:18PM CEST (?) Nice Cote d'Azur - NCE

-
1h 02m

Friday
2019-Apr-12
07:29AM CEST Frankfurt-Hahn - HHN

08:09AM CEST (?) Munich Int'l - MUC

-
0h 40m

Sunday
2019-Apr-07
01:30PM CEST Cologne Bonn - CGN

01:56PM CEST Frankfurt-Hahn - HHN

-
0h 26m

Saturday
2019-Apr-06
05:08PM CST Regina Int'l - YQR

07:04PM CDT Winnipeg Int'l - YWG

-
0h 56m

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 9:52 PM

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Yeah good news for you guys. Man I feel like YQR is just getting left in the dust. I don't proclaim to know anything about this business but as a customer its just so disappointing. Still no american airline coming to Regina either which was apparently their top priority.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 2:20 AM

I also agree, looks like Regina definitely was pushed to the side.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 4:50 AM
BANNED

I would have thought that out of both airports, Regina would get more of a focus in terms of development, US flights, more domestic flights, upgrades, etc. as it is the provincial capital and therefore would make for the hub and gateway into Saskatchewan.

Obviously everyone else disagrees with that notion.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 2:36 PM

I think from a perspective of increasing "tourism", Saskatoon is seen as a gateway airport for northern Saskatchewan....which is likely an emphasis for tourism in international markets. That may have had something to do with decision.

I do find it strange that there was really nothing in Saskatoon's news about this announcement and we only find out about it as a secondary mention in the Kelowna news!?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2019, 6:17 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
I would have thought that out of both airports, Regina would get more of a focus in terms of development, US flights, more domestic flights, upgrades, etc. as it is the provincial capital and therefore would make for the hub and gateway into Saskatchewan.

It's the business market that drives air service. Government offices are only a small part of that equation. You only need look one province west or to Ottawa for proof of that.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post

Capital city does not equal largest city or hub city of the province....

Victoria?
Edmonton?
Quebec City?
Fredericton?

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 2:22 AM

This sucks at least its only temporary i was wondering how the grounding of the max would affect flights.

https://thestarphoenix.com/business/...5-ddea7a38225d

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 1:22 PM

I sat next to a WestJet 737 Captain last week on a flight YQR-YYC. He mentioned that if the WS and DL JV application were to be approved, DL would likely buy as many shares of WS as it possibly can (up to 25% by Canadian Law). See below, DL has recently bought into Virgin Atlantic to help strengthen their Trans-Atlantic market share and is heavily involved with Aeromexico to create a kind of North American Alliance to combat UA/AC JV.

As well as combined loyalty programs and sharing lounges, etc - This would increase the chances of a YQR-MSP link-up and would be a breath of fresh air!

https://www.theguardian.com/business...irgin-atlantic

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...mexico-435096/

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM753Fan View Post
I sat next to a WestJet 737 Captain last week on a flight YQR-YYC. He mentioned that if the WS and DL JV application were to be approved, DL would likely buy as many shares of WS as it possibly can (up to 25% by Canadian Law). See below, DL has recently bought into Virgin Atlantic to help strengthen their Trans-Atlantic market share and is heavily involved with Aeromexico to create a kind of North American Alliance to combat UA/AC JV.

As well as combined loyalty programs and sharing lounges, etc - This would increase the chances of a YQR-MSP link-up and would be a breath of fresh air!

https://www.theguardian.com/business...irgin-atlantic

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...mexico-435096/
Yes if DL does not need to hire anyone in YQR that would make a huge difference to the viability of the route. Also all the new connections to WestJet out of YQR would help that route. Even before they were linked, you would often meet people on the DL flight from Edmonton and Vancouver flying through YQR to MSP.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 4:34 PM

More post-security options a possibility at YQR

https://www.cjme.com/2019/05/09/more...bility-at-yqr/

A direct flight to Montreal would be awesome!!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan