HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
who is and isnt business friendly in an incentive rich environment means nothing. IT's already been established that states of all kinds are offering GENEROUS incentives to amazon that will insulate them from their normal tax structure. who cares about PA or NY or IL being supposedly anti business when amazon wont pay many taxes in any of them?
Tax incentives are not necessarily permanent and can expire based on legislative priorities and political changes unless they are made permanent. The laws in place that create either an incentive or general disincentive business climate are more permanent. This is a long term investment in a city and that has to be taken into account.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 3:16 PM

great piece on tax incentives including amazon
https://youtu.be/8bl19RoR7lc

Old Posted Nov 14, 2017, 1:56 AM

New Park Underway Next to 30th Street Station

Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...street-station

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 11:11 AM

Is this Septa entrance relocating longterm once this is a park? Is that what the oculus-esque thing in the Plaza is? I hope they at least make the entrance more attractive if they leave it here. I am generally not a fan of parks right next to traffic (2 busy roads), but the planting of mature trees all along the edges to separate the parklet from traffic is a great idea and could really help the experience there.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 2:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Is this Septa entrance relocating longterm once this is a park?
just as an aside, this is a pet peeve of mine. why do people call these things SEPTA entrances? why not subway entrances? in new york, no one refers to the transit agency (NYCTA or MTA), they just call it the subway. in chicago, it's just the el.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
just as an aside, this is a pet peeve of mine. why do people call these things SEPTA entrances? why not subway entrances? in new york, no one refers to the transit agency (NYCTA or MTA), they just call it the subway. in chicago, it's just the el.
I did not give it much thought. I was going by the SEPTA sign...Not sure why calling it that would rub you the wrong way, though.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 2:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I did not give it much thought. I was going by the SEPTA sign...Not sure why calling it that would rub you the wrong way, though.
I don't mean just you, I hear it all the time on the news, etc. it just bothers me. it's just one of my stupid hang ups.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
It kind of pedantic but it's because that's not a subway entrance. It's an entrance to the El and Trolley lines. The Subway is 15 blocks east under Broad Street. Especially among old heads the Subway is not a type of service but a specific line.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 4:07 PM
Philly Pholly

I wish they'd use something like "Red Line" or "Blue Line"

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 4:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond LuxuryYacht View Post
Tax incentives are not necessarily permanent and can expire based on legislative priorities and political changes unless they are made permanent. The laws in place that create either an incentive or general disincentive business climate are more permanent. This is a long term investment in a city and that has to be taken into account.
No doubt, but comparing cities based on their ACTUAL current tax burdens is pointless in a case such as this. No matter where they go Amazon will end up paying next to nothing in taxes. Thats the bottom line. Any deal they strike will have terms lasting 10-15 years easily. If they decide to relocate or shrink the operation 15 years from now I'm sure that's a possibility. One of Philly's biggest tax burdens applies to products sold here and that will barely affect Amazon just like it barely affects other big corporations that do 99% of their sales outside of PHilly.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 4:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Is this Septa entrance relocating longterm once this is a park? Is that what the oculus-esque thing in the Plaza is? I hope they at least make the entrance more attractive if they leave it here. I am generally not a fan of parks right next to traffic (2 busy roads), but the planting of mature trees all along the edges to separate the parklet from traffic is a great idea and could really help the experience there.
no- park replaces parking lot. Has no bearing on sidewalk or transit entrance.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
I wish they'd use something like "Red Line" or "Blue Line"
I mean they've tried, it just didn't stick. Same way they will always be Pattison Ave, Market East, and the P&W.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 4:26 PM

Quote:
I haven't compared renderings, but I recently saw one that had the same old SEPTA/El/Subway/Blue Line entrance that is there. I hope that the SY folk will find it in their interest to offer to "fix" it for SEPTA. It will stick out like a sore thumb when the park is completed.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Meh. No good.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
I haven't compared renderings, but I recently saw one that had the same old SEPTA/El/Subway/Blue Line entrance that is there. I hope that the SY folk will find it in their interest to offer to "fix" it for SEPTA. It will stick out like a sore thumb when the park is completed.
Yeah. Although I'd wager a lot of people use the tunnel that connects it to 30th. Still, it would be way better if they'd build something like the station at Dilworth Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkway View Post
I mean they've tried, it just didn't stick. Same way they will always be Pattison Ave, Market East, and the P&W.
Agreed. I still call it Market East, although I think things like the P&W becoming the NHSL and the El becoming the MFL are just age differences.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 6:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
new elevators will be added at 31st street to provide better access from the west.

Developers usually don't control or replace headhouses. I think this was done 10-15 years ago.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 7:47 PM
The Doctor Is In

Subway Portal

Yeah the Subway entrance was completely redone not long ago. Replacing it would be a giant waste.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Agreed. I still call it Market East, although I think things like the P&W becoming the NHSL and the El becoming the MFL are just age differences.
Definitely an age thing. Just like East/West River Drive vs Kelly/MLK (I don't think I've actually heard anybody ever call West River MLK tho).

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Definitely an age thing. Just like East/West River Drive vs Kelly/MLK (I don't think I've actually heard anybody ever call West River MLK tho).
I've never in my life heard anyone refer to NHSL as the P&W. The rest I agree are age related, though I feel like some such EL/MFL are terms I use interchangeably and don't really favor one over the other.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
"West River Drive" flows off the tongue better than "MLK" On the contrary, I personally think "Kelly Drive" works better than "East River Drive" My parents call the NHSL the P&W, and MFL/El for me is interchangeable, though it depends on where in the city I am. I'm not inclined to call it "the El" when it's technically under me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals