HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 12:09 PM

Save Young Avenue group calls for historical designation for Halifax street

From the CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...lifx-1.3543018

This is a little concerning to me as there are really some beautiful, stately properties on Young Avenue. It is the type of street that you would drive down with out-of-towners just to show them some of the amazing buildings there. Quite a few of them have ties to famous or prominent Haligonians as well.

The problem is that there's a business case for ripping them down, subdividing the lots and building new and nothing to stop developers from doing just that.

I realize that, since this is Nova Scotia, there will probably be some backlash because some people will look at it as just the rich trying to protect their properties, but it goes beyond that. Some of these places are just amazing - houses that only the rich could afford to build, using the best materials and not scrimping on the details. The like of which will never be built again, in some cases.

I've read a lot recently about Vancouver's problem of 'investors' ripping town heritage houses by the dozens just to build new houses for profit - I'm hoping that this isn't becoming a trend in Halifax...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues