HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
^ I saw that and thought the exact same thing.

So now precedent is set that a developer is expected to fund the local nonprofit CDC's annual operating budget if they want to build? WTF?
The worst part about this too is Walnut Capital chipped in far, far less for a project of basically identical height a block away. So it's not just a shakedown, it's an arbitrary shakedown.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The worst part about this too is Walnut Capital chipped in far, far less for a project of basically identical height a block away. So it's not just a shakedown, it's an arbitrary shakedown.
The whole process has been dysfunctional, arbitrary, and counterproductive in promoting current and future economic development in Oakland. These sorts of things create uncertainty and hamper development. Oakland is one of the few areas anywhere that are short on office space, so this project is definitely needed.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave View Post
The whole process has been dysfunctional, arbitrary, and counterproductive in promoting current and future economic development in Oakland. These sorts of things create uncertainty and hamper development. Oakland is one of the few areas anywhere that are short on office space, so this project is definitely needed.
I mean, the thing that always dumbfounds me though is...who are these people that they have so much pull?

I can understand NIMBY power in say Squirrel Hill or Shadyside. Lots of single-family homes worth over a million dollars. Lots of rich homeowners with free time. It's where you'd expect NIMBYism.

Oakland isn't like this, outside of Schenley Farms. Something like 80% of people are renters, and most of them are transient students. Many of the homeowners are in condo towers in North Oakland. There are some "homeowner streets" left like Coltart, but they are distinctly in the minority. I just don't see how their voices are elevated so much.

I have heard it claimed - but I don't know for sure - that the community organizations are actually dominated by slumlord renters, who pose as living in one of their properties even if they really live somewhere out in the suburbs. That their anti-density hardline is because they know that the transformation of Oakland means that the rental prices they can charge for decrepit homes are steadily depreciating. But I don't know anything concrete - and you'd think the city could suss this out.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 2:32 PM

Delete

Last edited by Don't Be That Guy; Jan 21, 2021 at 4:16 PM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 8:25 PM
JDescutner

According to some new renderings, it seems the facade of the new Allegheny Stables Lofts on W. North Ave. will have a darker, warmer tone than previously proposed.

https://www.stableslofts.com/

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 1:43 PM

For me it's kind of a sad slap in the face to see a Target replace what was once the long home base of a Pittsburgh icon. It's a plain sign of our cheapened times. But I will be glad to at least see the space reactivated, and it should go a very long way in helping to revitalize the surrounding blocks.

Design of new Downtown Target store gets commission's approval

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202101120183

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 2:02 PM
Ex Houstonian

I had to go downtown Monday for work and it’s really sad now. Downtown is completely and utterly dead during the day. I really fear for downtown and all downtowns if most businesses decide to work from home for the long run. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely despise having to wake up early, drive to an office and be micro managed all day pointlessly. But I also would hate to see all the progress our cities have made in the past 20 years get killed because of rona and work from home indefinitely.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 2:09 PM

Quote:
For me it's kind of a sad slap in the face to see a Target replace what was once the long home base of a Pittsburgh icon. It's a plain sign of our cheapened times. But I will be glad to at least see the space reactivated, and it should go a very long way in helping to revitalize the surrounding blocks.

Design of new Downtown Target store gets commission's approval

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202101120183

I'm looking forward to when things get back to normal for numerous reasons, but my office moved to Smithfield/Fort Pitt in mid-2020, and my new bus stop will be at Smithfield/Sixth. The Target is going to be perfectly positioned for a quick stop in when I leave work and before I take the bus home.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I had to go downtown Monday for work and it’s really sad now. Downtown is completely and utterly dead during the day. I really fear for downtown and all downtowns if most businesses decide to work from home for the long run. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely despise having to wake up early, drive to an office and be micro managed all day pointlessly. But I also would hate to see all the progress our cities have made in the past 20 years get killed because of rona and work from home indefinitely.
I don't think we'll see that. It hasn't even been a year of this, and I think we will actually see an even greater resurgence in our urban centers once this passes. It's quite apparent that people do not want to be isolated at home. Once vaccination is widespread and public trust has returned, bars and restaurants, offices, hotels, etc. will be booming. It's going to be the "roaring '20s" once again.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 2:28 PM

Quote:
I don't think we'll see that. It hasn't even been a year of this, and I think we will actually see an even greater resurgence in our urban centers once this passes. It's quite apparent that people do not want to be isolated at home. Once vaccination is widespread and public trust has returned, bars and restaurants, offices, hotels, etc. will be booming. It's going to be the "roaring '20s" once again.
I expect 2021 (as soon as we hit mass vaccination - probably Summer/Fall) will have an incredible boom for the restaurants and hotels. The housing market will go back to normal pretty quickly as well. But some proportion of the white collar workforce will continue to work from home indefinitely.

Everyone I know with kids can't wait to get back to the office though.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I expect 2021 (as soon as we hit mass vaccination - probably Summer/Fall) will have an incredible boom for the restaurants and hotels. The housing market will go back to normal pretty quickly as well. But some proportion of the white collar workforce will continue to work from home indefinitely.

Everyone I know with kids can't wait to get back to the office though.
I think we'll see working from a "home office" more common, but we we've been heading in that direction for almost a decade now though... with online collaboration platforms sprouting up all over the place, being utilized/refined/acquired/etc. and widely adopted throughout many industries. The "cubicle" farm was going out of style anyway, with the various co-working space options and the local coffee shop becoming a de facto office for many.

As far as physical office space for large corporations in downtown areas go... I think we will see much of the new construction in more of a campus-style structure.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 4:01 PM

Also, and I do mean this as a small dig on Pittsburgh, I think our downtown based companies are a lot more old school in their thinking than others. As soon as they can safely force their workers back to an office, they will. I think our downtown will spring back to life faster than major tech hubs.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 5:52 PM

Quote:
I do mean this as a small dig on Pittsburgh, I think our downtown based companies are a lot more old school in their thinking than others.
I think that it's misguided and wrong to think that its inherently better or progressive that companies would be work from home.

There are solid, legitimate reasons for both.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 6:25 PM

"Working from home" is bullshit and we all know it.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 10:58 PM

I've worked from home. I guess for some, it's bullshit, but generally I was busy, had meeting etc.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 11:44 PM

https://nextpittsburgh.com/latest-ne...thic-medicine/

Rendering of the new College of Osteopathic Medicine in the attached article from Next Pittsburgh. It's such an uninspiring design...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
I've worked from home. I guess for some, it's bullshit, but generally I was busy, had meeting etc.
A bit of a domineering attitude on my part with that comment.

I worked from home primarily in the past and I know that one can be quite busy, with multiple meetings throughout the day and trying to squeeze actual work in between all of them.

One of the issues for me was that if I didn't have scheduled calls/meetings, I'd take breaks and distract myself with other tasks around the house... and I'd end up working on and off from 8am-midnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post
https://nextpittsburgh.com/latest-ne...thic-medicine/

Rendering of the new College of Osteopathic Medicine in the attached article from Next Pittsburgh. It's such an uninspiring design...
Not terrible, not good either. Uninspiring is a good descriptor.

This is big news for Pittsburgh though. Having multiple medical schools is something few cities possess.

And this should help that area between Forbes and Fifth revitalize quickly.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 2:51 PM

That building looks... ok... too much though, like a current typical hotel chain.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 3:19 PM

February 4th ZBA is online. Items of note:

1. Four infill houses in Central Lawrenceville. Location is here, filling in one of the last significant empty patches in Lawrenceville. The schematics (I won't even call them renderings) are very crude, but the front facades just look like a bunch of random shit thrown together (windows of different heights/widths, ect). The side view is especially disappointing, as the side of the corner unit will be essentially the only thing visible from 46th.

Not much else really. There's a sign permit for a hotel at 405 Wood Street. I believe the hotel was announced before, but it will be called The Industrialist.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
I think that it's misguided and wrong to think that its inherently better or progressive that companies would be work from home.

There are solid, legitimate reasons for both.

Newer companies, especially in tech, have already said this is a permanent change. That employees will be able to work remotely going forwards, with scattered in-person moments here and there. It's absolutely more progressive company behavior to be allowing flexibility like that, and it's something that the best talent is going to demand from here on out. And in my personal experience, PGH-based companies have always been very resistant to this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations