HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

View Poll Results: Have you noticed a difference in traffic in your city since Covid 19?
Yes 48 97.96%
No 1 2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 1:27 PM

People out joy driving and people walking and biking around...what do yall expect?

At least in normal times, you can drive/transit/walk/bike to work and get outside and then hunker down on the weekend enjoying doing nothing. Some people literally have zero reason to leave the house. That's horrible for the mind. I've been stuck on a ship for 55 days straight of which 14 of those days included me not even seeing the outside. It will fuck with your head. Now, I walk my dog three times a day and go to get groceries once a week. I could do this for probably another two years, but my girlfriend is getting depressed(like, going to the Dr. depressed). She thrives off human contact and going out(not like clubs or anything, but just going out to eat and shopping from time to time). Also, we just moved here and the weather is getting slightly better, so she is antsy to go explore the city.

So if people want to go for a drive or walk/bike, it's not only normal, we should encourage it. There is way more to Corona than deaths. People losing their jobs are facing the stresses of a) not having a job b) not having hope of getting another one c) having no outlet because they are forced home. That is a horrible mix of shit that will be multiplied millions of times over in the country.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I just took my first drive around the city in a long time. One of my wife's former co-workers posted on facebook that she was giving away a bunch of board games for little kids to anyone who wanted them. So I drove from our place up in Lincoln Square 5.5 miles down Western Ave. to her house in West Town to pick them up (board games have recently become VERY popular in our household).

Normally, on a regular Saturday afternoon, that drive would take 30-40 minutes, but I did it in about 25 today, so traffic was definitely lighter than usual, but there were still plenty of cars out and about, and buses and trucks and whatnot. And with the warm sunny weather today, PLENTY of people were out walking, jogging, and biking around.

I definitely did not get the sense that I was driving around some deserted post-apocolyptic dystopia.

Also interesting, I noticed our car had half a tank of gas. I think I last filled it up in late February. Save that money!
I don't think it is possible for Western to not have at least some traffic. But yeah, it has been much lighter.

The Kennedy on the other hand, zero traffic for a month now. I think I had one slow down in Hubbard's cave in the last month and it was because someone was broke down in the center left lane.

My wife went into labor last night at 1 AM and the drive downtown from Logan Square was maybe 5 minutes. Literally no one on the road at all. Maybe saw half a dozen cars in the inbound lane with us total from Diversey to Ohio. Had to control myself from going 90MPH+. Gotta start driving responsibly now that I've got a baby on board.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 3:49 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Gotta start driving responsibly now that I've got a baby on board.
for sure, it's not like other people's babies in those other cars on the road were ever important to those that loved them when we formerly drove like self-centered assholes.

but now that YOU have a baby, shit like that all of a sudden matters.

it happens to all of us.

anyway, congrats! i hope mom and baby are all healthy.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 27, 2020 at 4:29 AM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 7:08 PM

Weekday traffic in Chicago feels like a rainy day on a Sunday. . . I went out to pick up some take-out this past Saturday evening. . . it was in fact raining and the only people out were the police. . .

. . .

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 3:14 AM

According to the news people in cities around the US are enjoying the fresher non polluted air.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 6:25 PM
BANNED

Personal vehicle traffic down 46%:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...with-lockdowns

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
for sure, it's not like other people's babies in those other cars on the road were ever important to those that loved them when we formerly drove like self-centered assholes.

but now that YOU have a baby, shit like that all of a sudden matters.

it happens to all of us.

anyway, congrats! i hope mom and baby are all healthy.
Hey, I actually care when I see those signs. I drive safer around them. They really freaking work lol

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 3:54 PM

According to Waze, traffic jams in Portland are down 88%. One small bright spot in this mess.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions