HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 6:54 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Cola 23 View Post
Why Chicago's Loop Will Survive Property Tax Increases
By: David Scherer, Principal | Origin Capital Partners
03/01/2016 10:35 am ET | Updated 44 minutes ago

Good stuff right there:

"Origin owns buildings in 10 major cities, from Seattle to Orlando. If you draw a circle around Chicago's City Hall for two miles in every direction, you have the fastest growing "city" in America, according to a JLL report that quoted U.S. Census data. Downtown housing creates more demand, not less, as it spurs retail growth and even more demand. The Loop is a positive feedback loop. We don't see any signs that will change."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-...ago&ir=Chicago

What a silly post to begin with though. I mean, if you actually even take seriously the possibility that the tax increase could seriously harm Chicago's central area economy, you're either not thinking hard, or perhaps not at all.....

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 7:00 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
theres been at least one attempt at holding a festival down there and it went pretty well. but unless festivals become barred from city parks, i cant see the current model going away from more dynamic neighborhood venues.
Yeah, I know Dave Matthews Caravan already did it. Sounds like there was a few hiccups but nothing that can't be solved with better grooming of the site and better planning for transportation.

There's only a limited number of these festivals and the city holds pretty much all the cards when it comes to the location and timing of these events. If they want to steer festivals to South Works, they can easily do so.

Also, with Riot Fest being in Douglas Park now, I'm not sure how that's "more dynamic". Mamby on the Beach was a new one last year at 41st St. Not really much different than South Works.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 2:35 AM

fyi:
List of eight notable buildings identified by Preservation Chicago as at risk (one about to be demolished)
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...ccormick-place

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 4:09 AM

Chicago Architecture posted a tweet of 112 S. State being demolished? Anyone have any idea what's happening here?

https://twitter.com/ChicagoArchitec/...29369983606785

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 4:44 AM
TL;DR

^ WeWork leased the Amalgamated Bank building and is expanding that building south. 112 S State has to come down for the expansion since the floors are at different heights...

I'm interested to see if there is an old facade on 112 S State (former Orpheum Theatre, at right). Apart from the portico and marquee, the rest of the facade would be at home on a Lucien Lagrange building...

Last edited by ardecila; Mar 3, 2016 at 4:59 AM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 5:00 AM

nm

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 7:58 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
fyi:
List of eight notable buildings identified by Preservation Chicago as at risk (one about to be demolished)
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...ccormick-place
I'd be okay with about half of those biting the dust

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 1:20 PM
BANNED

The McDonalds at Addison and Clark is now vacant, with fence around the entire lot. Also in unrelated news; McDonalds is apparently on the hunt for office space downtown again, per Crains.

Link

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 2:29 PM
North Beach Style

To be clear, the image shown below is of the Addison Park on Clark development, which will be replacing Starbucks and 7-11 on the Addison Street side and just about everything on the Clark Street side all the way down to Goose Island.

The McDonalds is part of the Cubs Hotel/Retail development on Clark north of Addison. Apparently the design of this has changed since the renderings were shown a couple of years back (as the Cubs office building changed), but I can't seem to get my hands on any updated versions... I'm guessing it will be less old-timey than previously shown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
The McDonalds at Addison and Clark is now vacant, with fence around the entire lot. Also in unrelated news; McDonalds is apparently on the hunt for office space downtown again, per Crains.

Link

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
They should tear down the Rock 'N Roll McDonald's, on land that they own, and build a new HQ in that location with a flagship restaurant incorporated at the bottom. That whole part of River North is an eyesore.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
They should tear down the Rock 'N Roll McDonald's, on land that they own, and build a new HQ in that location with a flagship restaurant incorporated at the bottom. That whole part of River North is an eyesore.
That's exactly what I've hoped they would do with an HQ relocation to Chicago. They wouldn't even need to tear down the Rock N Roll if they wanted to build a new HQ there though – there's a half block parking lot right next to it. The area to the west (Ed Debevic's/former Planet Hollywood) is being quickly redeveloped but somehow the Rock N Roll/Rainforest/Hard Rock area has avoided any changes so far.

At any rate, it sounds like they're looking at Sears Tower? I'm guessing wherever they end up will be closer to the suburban commuter lines.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
At any rate, it sounds like they're looking at Sears Tower? I'm guessing wherever they end up will be closer to the suburban commuter lines.
Yes, I would expect the company would want to be in the main office corridor and ideally near the terminal large numbers of their Oak Brook workers would be using. And as to the R&R space, considering it is an entire square block, hopefully it will ultimately see some especially thoughtful planning.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
I'd be okay with about half of those biting the dust

The old chinatown block is one of my favorite in the city. Chicago boosters love to espouse chicagos grit, but then advocate for its sterilization in the same breath.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 3:50 PM

Quote:
The old chinatown block is one of my favorite in the city. Chicago boosters love to espouse chicagos grit, but then advocate for its sterilization in the same breath.
Yeah, I wouldn't be okay with losing a single one of these buildings (maybe some of the Sears stores in town aren't worth saving? Not sure.).

I commented on Curbed that I think the Old Chinatown block is the best view of Chicago grit from the 60s/70s we have left downtown.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 4:19 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Wasn't referring to those really. The "half" I was referring to were the Thompson Center (because fuck that ugly UFO looking ass waste of space), McCormick Place, Lakeside Center (because that thing looks like it belongs in a suburb not on the lakefront, the Sears buildings, and that janky old CTA station.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 4:24 PM
BANNED

Re: NW corner Clark and Addison- My mistake. Should have recognized the AT&T building to the south!

Here's the latest rendering I'm aware of..

East Elevation via CBS Chicago

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 4:49 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
Yes, I would expect the company would want to be in the main office corridor and ideally near the terminal large numbers of their Oak Brook workers would be using. And as to the R&R space, considering it is an entire square block, hopefully it will ultimately see some especially thoughtful planning.

Yes, absolutely - they'll definitely want a reasonable walk-to location from the major stations.....Tishman Speyer should pitch them hard.....definitely not sure McD's will bite on that price point, but worth a shot anyway, and Tishman should make a real run at landing them for 130 Franklin.....

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
Lakeside Center
It is my sincere hope that Lakeside Center lives on in perpetuity if only to spite Blair Kamin.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
It is my sincere hope that Lakeside Center lives on in perpetuity if only to spite Blair Kamin.
Blair Kamin – Chief South Side Lakefront Curator of the North Shore Diaspora

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 5:23 PM

The only existing buildings that could fit McDonald's in (>400,000 SF available) are;

515 N State
227 W Monroe (The Franklin)
71 S Wacker
131 S Dearborn (Citadel)
130 E Randolph (One Prudential Plaza)
233 S Wacker (Sears Tower)

I have heard rumblings about them moving into Sears and I do think it makes the most sense

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development