HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
I was thinking along the same lines. These Midtown regulations are a little peculiar.

I understand that the cost’s associated with building taller can be more, but If it’s cheaper to build two buildings on two separate city lots, then the land must be relatively cheap – comparatively speaking.

As far as these restrictive Midtown Zoning regulations are concerned, there seems to be a large number of buildings in various development stages that worked through these restrictions to propose taller buildings than these relatively “squatty” buildings that we keep seeing pop up all over Midtown.

We have 1105 W. Peachtree of course at 29…or is it-31 stories? Cousin’s Properties appears to be working through the regulations to construct a 30-story office building down the road at 7th & 8th Street. CA Ventures is proposing a 33-story & 27-story residential buildings. Trillist Company is working on a 46-story residential tower. How are these companies building taller buildings?

If the restrictions only apply to this part of Midtown (in the vicinity of Tech Square) it would seem prudent if the City or Midtown worked on reviewing these restrictions so that we don’t end up with a huge portion of Midtown having a condition of what we can loosely called of “height monotony” or just looking like an uninteresting swath of ordinary.

Yes… I know, it shouldn’t matter what a building’s height is as long as the street presence is pleasing, but we all know that we often judge a city by how interesting it’s skyline is from a distance – not only at street level. Of course you can always have a taller building and great street presence too!
There are many tricks that developers use to get tall towers in Midtown:

https://www.midtownatl.com/_files/do...lines_rdcd.pdf

10.2 is the max FAR in this document, it may be a little higher now, but I don't think by much maybe 12 or 15 since the midtown zoning update.

That means if you are building roughly the entire lot (max buildable area of a lot is 85%) you can only expect to build a 12-story building. I don't know that parking is part of the FAR calculation so hence you see with Portman's buildings ~20 stories with half the floors parking and the other half occupied office space.

Often developers use setbacks to get higher, or have the building take a small footprint of the lot, or they transfer development rights from a property that will never be redeveloped.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Funny you mention this. I have a close friend that works for Anthem in Buckhead and they just received an email update about the plans to move to Midtown. The next tower will break ground soon and is scheduled for completion in 2021
That's a nice scoop that hasn't been reported in news yet.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 4:19 PM
Topher’s 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
That's a nice scoop that hasn't been reported in news yet.
It was reported in the abc on feb 19th at 7:45pm that they were going ahead with this tower by early summer.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 4:32 PM

And I’m snarky! Lol

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSangha View Post
It was reported in the abc on feb 19th at 7:45pm that they were going ahead with this tower by early summer.
It was reported on April 19th on this forum by alco89 that Anthem would lease space in 712 WP. That's the scoop that has not been reported in the media.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 6:19 PM
Topher’s 2 cents

Really? Like this is a surprise!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSangha View Post
Really? Like this is a surprise!
Whether it's a surprise or not, it is news. Prior to this, it was speculated that Starbucks would put their new Atlanta hub here.

The question I have is does this mean they are relocating their Buckhead operations to Midtown or does this mean new, additional jobs coming to the city?

Last edited by Martinman; Apr 19, 2019 at 7:11 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2019, 7:24 PM

Looks like the Business Chronicle answered my question. Another great thing about this is that with this office space now spoken for it increases the prospects for Midtown Union and 901 WP.

Anthem expanding into second Tech Square tower, adding hundreds of jobs

Quote:
Anthem is creating new jobs in Atlanta as part of the expansion, but also shifting employees from its current offices in Buckhead and Midtown into the new 20-story tower, according to a source with direct knowledge of the plan.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwcvZN7AN7X/

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/..._news_headline

Last edited by Martinman; Apr 19, 2019 at 11:11 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 12:49 AM
Topher’s 2 cents

[QUOTE=Martinman;8546349]Whether it's a surprise or not, it is news. Prior to this, it was speculated that Starbucks would put their new Atlanta hub here.

I was under the impression that Starbucks was a Midtown Union thing. Speaking of which, wtf is up with that development?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 4:16 AM

[QUOTE=BlueSangha;8546683]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
Whether it's a surprise or not, it is news. Prior to this, it was speculated that Starbucks would put their new Atlanta hub here.

I was under the impression that Starbucks was a Midtown Union thing. Speaking of which, wtf is up with that development?
It's going to happen, MetLife is self-funding it. I think you're right about Starbucks as well.

There are a lot of large leases out there seriously shopping the market.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 1:08 PM

Starbucks is going to 725 Ponce, I thought.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Starbucks is going to 725 Ponce, I thought.
Has that been announced? It's getting harder to keep up with everything, I heard BlackRock was taking most of 1075.

At any rate, we're on fire right now. There are multiple leases in the hundreds of thousands of square feet each shopping the market - mostly out of town relos.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 2:45 PM

Regarding Starbucks, it's all been speculation because they have not officially signed a lease anywhere yet that we know of. The Invest Atlanta documents referenced 500 jobs at 712 WP which matches the Starbucks hub announcement leading people to believe that this is where they were going.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 2:49 PM

But Anthem just announced yesterday ‘hundred of new jobs’ going to 712 so that Invest Atlanta was for them apparently and not Starbucks.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
Has that been announced? It's getting harder to keep up with everything, I heard BlackRock was taking most of 1075.

At any rate, we're on fire right now. There are multiple leases in the hundreds of thousands of square feet each shopping the market - mostly out of town relos.
I thought so but I'm having trouble finding info on it now. I guess 725 was just one of the projects floated for Starbucks.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2019, 3:31 PM

However, the Invest Atlanta deal definitely sounded like Starbucks. Anthem and Starbucks could be splitting the building. Given the size of the building it can support 2,000 employees.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
However, the Invest Atlanta deal definitely sounded like Starbucks. Anthem and Starbucks could be splitting the building. Given the size of the building it can support 2,000 employees.
Yeah, there's definitely room for both.

At any rate, I'm convinced both Midtown Union and Cousin's tower at 8th St are happening. There's more than enough going on to launch both.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2019, 8:11 PM

Agreed

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 1:02 PM

Portman's impact on shaping the city of Atlanta continues to boggle the mind.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 7:28 PM

Demo'ing the old (new) Suntrust today

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta