HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 3:00 PM

New Ottawa Civic Hospital [930 Carling Ave + 520 Preston St] | U/C

Just reading on Twitter: The feds are transferring 60 acres of Agriculture Canada land on the Experimental Farm to the NCC for purposes of building a new hospital. Likely a similar scenario/arrangement as the Queensway Carleton.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 3:09 PM

No surprise there. AAFC has much less of a need for the farm lands these days as more and more agricultural research is taking place indoors in genetics laboratories instead of out in fields. They'd probably love to sell off half the farm lands to fund new sequencing machines, if the NCC let them get away with it.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
Just reading on Twitter: The feds are transferring 60 acres of Agriculture Canada land on the Experimental Farm to the NCC for purposes of building a new hospital. Likely a similar scenario/arrangement as the Queensway Carleton.
From CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...821799?cmp=rss

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheCore View Post
From The Ottawa Citizen

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...-farm-property

WOW - Thought the experimental farm land was "SACRED"!!!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
No surprise there. AAFC has much less of a need for the farm lands these days as more and more agricultural research is taking place indoors in genetics laboratories instead of out in fields. They'd probably love to sell off half the farm lands to fund new sequencing machines, if the NCC let them get away with it.
I've always thought it would be great to carve out a hectare or 2 for a couple of Soccer fields.

I live near downtown and when my kids were into organized soccer, driving to Hunt Club/Greenbank was a "close" field....

and yeah.. I know.. someone has to pay though...

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 5:43 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster View Post
From The Ottawa Citizen

Civic Hospital to be rebuilt on Experimental Farm propertyCivic Hospital to be rebuilt on Experimental Farm property (with video)[/SIZE]

David Reevely, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: November 3, 2014, Last Updated: November 3, 2014 4:56 PM EST

The Ottawa Hospital is getting 60 acres of federal property to rebuild its Civic campus on Carling Avenue, a long-term project the hospital’s chief executive hopes will eventually lead to a major realignment of health care in Ottawa.

“The timelines, historically, would be beyond a decade at best,” said Dr. Jack Kitts. “We couldn’t plan in a vacuum with no land.”

The arrangement would be similar to that for the Queensway-Carleton Hospital, a provincial hospital built on land leased from the federal government. The NCC will likely charge $1 a year for a 99-year agreement. The exact property involved will depend on detailed plans that have not yet been made, but it’ll be at the northwest corner of the Central Experimental Farm.

None of the existing Agriculture Canada buildings along Carling will be affected and neither will the parkway or bike path running through the site, said John Baird, the Ottawa West-Nepean MP and federal minister responsible for Ottawa, who made the announcement alongside Kitts and NCC chief executive Mark Kristmanson.

Baird, a Conservative, made a point of saying twice that the federal decision about the land isn’t meant to stampede the Liberal provincial government into anything.

“No government in Ontario, Liberal or Conservative, could afford to build a new facility right away, right now,” Baird said. “We’re not trying to set them up. This is one of the only times when we’re only saying nice things behind each other’s back.”

The hospital has been hoping to rebuild its Civic campus for years, with a study finding that the land across Carling from the current complex is the most attractive spot. Other options included a spot in the Greenbelt in Nepean, but the transfer of this federal land means the major hospital will stay relatively close to downtown. The NCC’s Kristmanson said that’s important for a region whose core is becoming more densely populated.

The hospital, Kristmanson said, is “an important legacy in the heart of Canada’s capital.”

The decision was made without consulting the Friends of the Farm, a group of volunteers who champion the Central Experimental Farm. They’re not necessarily against it, said president Eric Jones, but there’s been no real public discussion.

“It’s particularly concerning that a national historic site will be divided up without any debate, as far as I know,” he said. “I think the difficulty is to demonstrate that there is a line beyond which they will not go. What is that line? It’s kind of difficult to define at this point.”

Periodic reviews of the farm and its usefulness to Agriculture Canada have never concluded that it’s 60 acres too big, he said. Indeed, in 2008, Agriculture Canada flatly refused to consider the idea of a new hospital on the property because it’s incompatible with the farm’s historic status.

On Monday, Kitts said the hospital and the farm have scientific research as a common heritage. Kristmanson said the new hospital will incorporate natural features and high design standards. Baird said the farm will keep using the land till the hospital is ready to use it.

There’s no immediate timetable for the reconstruction project, and no guaranteed funding for a new facility that could cost $2.5 billion or more. Traditionally, Kitts said, the province pays 90 per cent of the costs of such a new building, with the hospital responsible for the other 10 per cent and, more importantly, all the costs of fitting the new facility up. It’ll take a huge fundraising campaign to pay for it.

The property, about six per cent of the Central Experimental Farm, is to be transferred from Agriculture Canada to the National Capital Commission to hold for the newest and most advanced health centre in Eastern Ontario. But not necessarily the largest. That’s because the current Civic campus includes clinics for routine treatments the new Civic might not do, said Kitts.

“We do a lot of primary and secondary care here that hopefully will be picked up in the community and by community hospitals,” Kitts said. “So I think, if things were to work out the way I’d envision it, the new campus may be a bit smaller, because there’d be more expansion at the Queensway (Carleton) and the Montfort and the other community hospitals and in the community. So it’s hard to say, and it’s early days, but I don’t see it being bigger.”

The new Civic would do tertiary and quaternary care: extremely specialized surgeries like organ transplants, along with groundbreaking experimental treatments.

When it’s done, in 15 to 20 years, the hospital would depart the existing Civic campus on the north side of Carling. That could be renovated for some other health-care use, the way the old Riverside Hospital became a centre for specialized clinics and day surgeries, or it could be torn down.

“I think it’s too early to say what this could become in the future, but that would be something that would be planned by a whole host of people with the best interests of the community in mind,” Kitts said, standing in a meeting room in one of the Civic’s many outlying buildings — a former nurses’ residence long-since converted into medical and administrative space.

The Civic campus is the oldest major health facility in Ottawa and the residence repurposing is typical of what’s been done to its innards over the decades. It’s a rambling collection of old, inefficient buildings that have been put through a lot as the hospital has tried to keep them current.

“I would say that 10 years from now and beyond will be a time when the Civic hospital will need to have some significant investment, and hopefully it won’t be in an old building, it will be in a new one,” Kitts said.

The Civic is adequate, he said, but it would never be built in its current form from scratch. Among other things, you’d never construct a new hospital with two or three patients in the same room, a formerly common practice that’s bad for controlling the spread of germs and one that’s practically impossible to renovate away.

In the meantime, though, already planned projects on the Civic campus will continue, including a $200-million expansion of the University of Ottawa Heart Institute there. It’ll be needed long before the Civic could be rebuilt, said Graham Bird, a Heart Institute board member who attended the announcement.

dreevely@ottawacitizen.com
twitter.com/davidreevely

The Civic’s history

1918 — The Spanish Flu epidemic and a fire at the Ottawa General Hospital inspires mayor Harold Fisher to push for a new modern hospital in Ottawa. He finds land for it beyond what was then the west end of town, gaining the project the nickname “Fisher’s Folly.” The farmland, bought by the city, costs $70,488.

1924 — The Civic Hospital opens with 550 beds, merging St. Luke’s, Protestant General and Ottawa Maternity hospitals. It cost $3.5 million to build. More than 2,000 people tour the building on opening day.

1929 — The Depression slashes the number of patients who can afford to pay for care. Shortages of basic supplies like gloves lead to outbreaks of scarlet fever, diphtheria and tuberculosis among medical workers.

1930 — A staff immunization program helps reduce the severity of the outbreaks.

1943 — Dutch Princess Juliana, living in Ottawa as a safe haven from the Second World War, gives birth to daughter Margriet at the Civic, on a floor temporarily declared “extraterritorial” to Canada by Parliament so Margriet can be born with only Dutch citizenship.

1950s — A series of utilitarian expansions keep the Civic at the forefront of medicine in Ottawa, on an enlarged but increasingly cluttered property.

1966 — Doctors at the Civic perform Canada’s first successful kidney transplant.

1976 — The University of Ottawa Heart Institute opens.

1997 — A $14-million renovation effort begins modernizing the hospital, which had been considered for closure as part of a provincewide restructuring effort.

1998 — The Civic, General and Riverside hospitals are merged to create The Ottawa Hospital with three campuses.

2006 — A $10-million expansion of the Civic’s emergency room opens.

2013 — The provincial government announces it’ll support a $200-million expansion of the Heart Institute.

Last edited by rocketphish; Nov 4, 2014 at 12:16 AM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 10:16 PM
Living With My Mother

Required reading from six weeks ago in the general update / rumour thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Ottawa is one of the cities that Harper is going to have to focus a lot on in the coming election campaign. Ontario & BC are the main areas where he's going to have regain ground from the Liberals to get elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
His offer to Ottawa come election time will be a new Civic Hospital built in the Experimental Farm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
They will announce a new one and it will be in Ottawa. Whether it actually gets built after the 2015 election is beyond my ability to read tea leaves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
But the necessary land is under federal control. The new hospital will be the bone thrown to Ottawa for voting Tory.

Likely also a wedge issue as it is doubtful that the NDP would support loosing the green space. No idea where the Grits would sit on this - unless it was named the Harper or the Baird rather than the Civic.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 11:04 PM

None of the articles seem to have a map. Is it across the street near the heliport?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 11:23 PM
Closed account

I'm curious about what will be done with the current site.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
None of the articles seem to have a map. Is it across the street near the heliport?
The new hospital would be build around the Helipad, basically using up all the farm land seen on the left of this picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
Dr. Kitts was saying the old Campus would be "no more", suggesting it might be demolished, but I'm sure they will maintain part of the proprety to maintain a connection to the University of Ottawa Heart Institute (UOHI). Here are a few possible uses I'm keeping my eye on:
  1. Further expansion of the UOHI;
  2. New long term care facility (à la Bruyère);
  3. Parts will likely be sold for private redevelopment;
  4. In any case, I hope they will maintain and restore the original Civic hospital.

This is the best news I've heard in a while. The Ottawa Civic Hospital is hands down the biggest, most important health care facility in the metro Ottawa area and there is no better site for it than in central Ottawa. After the events of October 22nd, although no where near as bad as it could have been, it is clearer than ever that we need our premier trauma facility near downtown where the possibility of a major calamity is much higher.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster View Post
From The Ottawa Citizen

Don't worry; you'll be hearing from the High Priests and Priestesses of the Church of the Green Space in short order.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
This is the best news I've heard in a while. The Ottawa Civic Hospital is hands down the biggest, most important health care facility in the metro Ottawa area and there is no better site for it than in central Ottawa. After the events of October 22nd, although no where near as bad as it could have been, it is clearer than ever that we need our premier trauma facility near downtown where the possibility of a major calamity is much higher.
Is it bigger than the General?

I'm actually surprised by this move. Other policy decisions by Beard and his hench-douches have been designed to encourage suburban sprawl in Ottawa. This is the opposite.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 12:40 AM

IMO downsize it, make it more specialized and build small community hospitals in Kanata, Barrhaven and Orleans. Give it a focus on specialized care, with general care spread out over three new campuses.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Is it bigger than the General?

I'm actually surprised by this move. Other policy decisions by Beard and his hench-douches have been designed to encourage suburban sprawl in Ottawa. This is the opposite.
More beds at the General (514 vs. 514) but the Civic has many more services (9 vs. 14) serving needs of more critically ill patients. So maybe the "biggest hospital" statement was a bit off, but the Civic is definitely the undisputed main trauma centre.

https://www.ottawahospital.on.ca/wps...OccupancyRates

https://www.ottawahospital.on.ca/wps...tal/Statistics

https://www.ottawahospital.on.ca/wps...ndVolunteering

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy_haak View Post
I say demo and sell off the land to help fund the new construction. Feds are leasing the new land for $1. Could do commercial on Carling and residential in the neighbourhood with some low rise condos. Not sure how well high rises would go over.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
IMO downsize it, make it more specialized and build small community hospitals in Kanata, Barrhaven and Orleans. Give it a focus on specialized care, with general care spread out over three new campuses.
The Ottawa Hospital is looking at a more specialized Civic for critically ill patients by having all individual one bed rooms (as opposed to common 2-4 beds in one room). It would be about the same size at it is today. No word on the possibility of building smaller suburban hospitals in the outskirts.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 1:07 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Civic Hospital to be rebuilt on Experimental Farm propertyCivic Hospital to be rebuilt on Experimental Farm property (with video)

David Reevely, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: November 3, 2014, Last Updated: November 3, 2014 4:56 PM EST

The Ottawa Hospital is getting 60 acres of federal property to rebuild its Civic campus on Carling Avenue, a long-term project the hospital’s chief executive hopes will eventually lead to a major realignment of health care in Ottawa.

[...]

[...]
Ummm... the area bounded by Carling, Ash Lane and the NCC Scenic Driveway (which is more than depicted above) is about 45 acres. So we're at least 20 acres shy of the stated 60 acres. To get to 60 acres they'd need everything I've described and would also need to add in the area immediately opposite the current campus (around the helipad) south to Winding Lane, which has some Ag Can buildings on it.

If it is going to be 60 acres, I hope that's not an excuse for campus sprawliness given that the current campus is about 25 acres.

I have little hope of this happening, but hopefully someone will figure out to design-in an LRT station for the distant-future Carling LRT line.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 1:19 AM
Living With My Mother

I wonder what Vince Gilpin and the others will say now about the new multi-level parking garage to the north.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 2:14 AM

As a former employee of the hospital (may return?) whose parents have been long-time employees of this campus (mother is on 41 years working as an RN here) and a long-term resident of the area this is wonderful news! The current hospital is outdated and difficult to maneuvre in (hallways are too narrow for patient transport, etc., the layout can be confusing), hallways get freakishly hot from the sun. We really need new facilities, and with good design (go for LEED Platinum) and attractive buildings.

As well, if would be wonderful if they could put the helipad on the roof of the building, as their current method involves an ambulance to drive across the street to the helipad and back again to transport patients, when they could more easily take the patient from the roof into the building's elevator.

I do feel a bit worried about the loss of part of the Farm. The main part has older buildings and the arboretum, but the rest has it's own bucolic charm to it. In fact, one of the things I found amazing was how the farm looked from the 8th floor (we call it the 7th floor). I'm fine with the land west of Fisher being developed, provided it isn't sprawl.

I'd like to see a mega hospital like what Montreal is doing in the downtown. Build larger, taller buildings that are easy to navigate (as an employee, people get so lost trying to find wards due to odd naming and locations). What I would like to see is an emphasis on greenspace for the campus, which I think is unbelievably important for patients and staff members' health and enjoyment. There are a few outdoor spaces on the current campus, and they're dirty concrete (black) enclosed with walls all around and little sunshine.

I don't want to see surface or multi-storey parking lots, that would only mar the landscape of a beautiful, bucolic land. Put parking underground and leave the rest of the space for buildings. I don't want to see it sprawl, as the campus needs to be more compact for easy movement/ transportation of patients and staff around campus. Though I understand why making it spread out with multiple routes of egress, because the current Civic Hospital would take 10 hours to evacuate all the patients (the fire department that works at the hospital says this during their presentations).

CHUM by Shel DeF on Flickr

I would like them to demolish most of the campus, and restore the older buildings to what they used to be like (the main building has an additional floor, external fire escapes, and a "new" wing on the east side). I don't think they can demolish all of it due to some buildings being declared heritage, though their interiors are not original. But the parking garages/lots and new buildings can be demolished and either turned into residences or have something else built on the land. I think I read that they weren't demolishing the current campus, but keeping it for seriously ill patients or something of the like. The front of the old buildings should have their greenspace restored - it was only a few years ago that they tore up the grass for parking lots, so if need is reduced they should making it pleasant-looking again.

Here is what he says in the above article:

Quote:
When it’s done, in 15 to 20 years, the hospital would depart the existing Civic campus on the north side of Carling. That could be renovated for some other health-care use, the way the old Riverside Hospital became a centre for specialized clinics and day surgeries, or it could be torn down.

“I think it’s too early to say what this could become in the future, but that would be something that would be planned by a whole host of people with the best interests of the community in mind,” Kitts said, standing in a meeting room in one of the Civic’s many outlying buildings — a former nurses’ residence long-since converted into medical and administrative space.

Civic by Shel DeF on Flickr

Parkdale Clinic/ Former Nurses Residence

Here is an aerial of the messy campus.

Civic Hospital by Michael Bartlett on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 2:43 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa