HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 3:03 PM
BANNED

^ Indeed. For some, it certainly has paid off to have put up with the stench of meats, fish, forklifts zipping past, refrigerator trucks clogging the streets at 6am, for the last many decades! I am lucky to have experienced the unique feel of the meatpacking district of years' past. I've come to miss it.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^ Indeed. For some, it certainly has paid off to have put up with the stench of meats, fish, forklifts zipping past, refrigerator trucks clogging the streets at 6am, for the last many decades! I am lucky to have experienced the unique feel of the meatpacking district of years' past. I've come to miss it.
The Green line goes to Oak Park - which is almost totally forklift free ;-)

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 3:06 PM

Based on the ratios of their current space, I would bet this expansion will be at least 2000 new employees.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 3:12 PM

345 N. Morgan

Heneghan Wrecking put their there sign up on the perimeter fence a week or 2 ago. So it should be coming down soon.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 3:19 PM

Office density would suggest it's more like 5,000+ employees, and that's assuming no one works remotely. No way they build 800k for just 2,000 workers. That's a shit ton of space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
What a great time to own property on the Green Line ;-)
What a great time to own property under the Pink Line...

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Office density would suggest it's more like 5,000+ employees, and that's assuming no one works remotely. No way they build 800k for just 2,000 workers. That's a shit ton of space.

Why have you not learned that this isn't a viable office submarket yet lol?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post

Key term I used was "based on the ratios of their current space." They have around 1200 employees spread across 500,000 square feet according to the article. That is 416.67 sq ft per employee at the current ratio. At 800k sq ft, that means 1920 employees.

This is simple math. They can fit way more in, but again key term is at their current ratios.

I don't know how their current office space is but you know sometimes theres a lot of different uses for space besides peoples' desks and some conference rooms depending on what is actually being created. When I worked at IBM in Chicago, my group had an entire floor but only about 40% of it was used as desks for employees. There was a lot of other stuff going on that needed space.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Key term I used was "based on the ratios of their current space." They have around 1200 employees spread across 500,000 square feet according to the article. That is 416.67 sq ft per employee at the current ratio. At 800k sq ft, that means 1920 employees.

This is simple math. They can fit way more in, but again key term is at their current ratios.

I don't know how their current office space is but you know sometimes theres a lot of different uses for space besides peoples' desks and some conference rooms depending on what is actually being created. When I worked at IBM in Chicago, my group had an entire floor but only about 40% of it was used as desks for employees. There was a lot of other stuff going on that needed space.
A good chunk of their current space is dedicated to "Classrooms" and presentation areas. A key perk of being a Google partner is being able to have "Training sessions" (sales pitches) at the Google HQ.

Chicago | 1375 W Fulton by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
A good chunk of their current space is dedicated to "Classrooms" and presentation areas. A key perk of being a Google partner is being able to have "Training sessions" (sales pitches) at the Google HQ.

Chicago | 1375 W Fulton by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr
Not surprised as this is common at the major offices of big companies. Many have conferences on site. At IBM, I'd say at least 25% of the entire floor i worked o primarily
was just classrooms. This also isnt counting any type of "labs" (which with a company like Google could be everything from hardware labs to user experience research labs)

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 4:31 PM

Looks like they have one of those soil testing machines on the surface lot at 812 W Lake Street. Might that signal further movement with the hotel development at 800 W Lake?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 4:54 PM

845 W Madison

Nov 6

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 4:54 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Why have you not learned that this isn't a viable office submarket yet lol?
We've obviously discussed this before, but some growing pains are to be expected in Fulton Market. The city certainly seems to be slowly moving toward addressing these issues, from improving CTA transfers at State/Lake to Halsted bus improvements to signalizing various intersections on Randolph and Lake to streetscaping Randolph to address the traffic clusterf*ck. Even a plan for a new station at Halsted. Not all of it will happen, but certainly some new infrastructure is on the way...

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantlyMidway View Post
Looks like they have one of those soil testing machines on the surface lot at 812 W Lake Street. Might that signal further movement with the hotel development at 800 W Lake?
Nov 6

Chicago | 800 W Lake by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 5:25 PM

167 N. Green and 170 N. Halsted

Nov 6

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 6:28 PM

[QUOTE=harryc;8741964]Nov 6

Good lord, this is turning out looking like some sort of "interestingly designed" dorm at a mid-sized university

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
We've obviously discussed this before, but some growing pains are to be expected in Fulton Market. The city certainly seems to be slowly moving toward addressing these issues, from improving CTA transfers at State/Lake to Halsted bus improvements to signalizing various intersections on Randolph and Lake to streetscaping Randolph to address the traffic clusterf*ck. Even a plan for a new station at Halsted. Not all of it will happen, but certainly some new infrastructure is on the way...
Not to mention the, somewhat hazy and A2 bridge dependent, plan for Metra to add a station on the west side of the area.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Not surprised as this is common at the major offices of big companies. Many have conferences on site. At IBM, I'd say at least 25% of the entire floor i worked o primarily
was just classrooms. This also isnt counting any type of "labs" (which with a company like Google could be everything from hardware labs to user experience research labs)
Compared to IBM's space in Chicago, the classroom percentage as a whole is a decent chunk lower. And even then that space at Google is more multi-purpose space rather than the formal classrooms like the IBM spaces.

The reason(s) the space density seems (is?) low is from a few other things. They run a full service cafeteria that takes up nearly a floor, then there are fairly large kitchens on every floor, as well as a few labs like you mention. There is also a large emphasis given to meeting and phone rooms since the company is so distributed. Not to mention, a gym, and a smattering of game rooms, a music room, massage rooms, and surely a few I am overlooking.

They have picked up several floors in the cold storage building, but every time I go there it still feels quite full. Even the carpenter building (which I think formally opened today, but has been running a few weeks) didn't add much capacity, almost half of that is cafeteria space.

Last edited by jc5680; Nov 7, 2019 at 9:33 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 9:41 PM

Harry amazing photos and updates as always. It looks like they started removing core formwork at 167 N Green in your last shot. Am I seeing that correctly?

Sterling Bay is moving its HQ to Gr333n and in the article they mention it's 90% leased.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...arket-building

Also Case is officially wrapped up at 800 W Fulton

https://app.oxblue.com/open/thorequities/800westfulton

Last edited by PittsburghPA; Nov 7, 2019 at 11:12 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 11:33 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Not to mention the, somewhat hazy and A2 bridge dependent, plan for Metra to add a station on the west side of the area.
If that station includes platforms for UP-West trains, could be a game-changer... if it's just Milwaukee District, somewhat less so (where's all the TOD at Western Ave?).

With UP-West, the new Fulton Market station would have service to probably 50-60% of the suburban commute shed for professional-managerial employees. Without UP-West, probably closer to 40% of the commute shed. Plus, when it comes to where top executives live (i.e. the people who drive corporate relocations), not many of those suburbs lie along Milwaukee District lines, except Lake Forest and maybe Libertyville. UP-West would add a whole swath of elite DuPage suburbs that MD-W misses.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
The reason(s) the space density seems (is?) low is from a few other things. They run a full service cafeteria that takes up nearly a floor, then there are fairly large kitchens on every floor, as well as a few labs like you mention. There is also a large emphasis given to meeting and phone rooms since the company is so distributed. Not to mention, a gym, and a smattering of game rooms, a music room, massage rooms, and surely a few I am overlooking.
Yup, that's really my point. it's a lot of space, but there's a lot of things some of these companies put in their office so it won't be full of as many people working (but still a lot) as some other companies. It's not all just desks and conference rooms.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations