HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 3, 2020, 4:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J81 View Post
There are 3 sitting in working condition at the maintenance centre in Montreal right now not doing anything. Plus there are close to a dozen more at both Toronto and Montreal that could be refurbished if need be.
I did not know that. Sounds like there is enough of them that could be used. One concern I would have is how many people would be leaving Halifax and Moncton that would be riding them. There is likely a better solution. Mind you, maybe this could be the start of something between Saint John and Moncton. It could run from Saint John and Halifax and connect with the Ocean.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
I did not know that. Sounds like there is enough of them that could be used. One concern I would have is how many people would be leaving Halifax and Moncton that would be riding them. There is likely a better solution. Mind you, maybe this could be the start of something between Saint John and Moncton. It could run from Saint John and Halifax and connect with the Ocean.
For now it would just be an extension of the Ocean basically to connect Halifax to the rest of the network. They also would like to run to Campbellton the days the Ocean didnt run. But that would require two separate sets of equipment. SJ isnt on the radar at all as of yet.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Thanks for the post! I am interested though if you had any thoughts on the fate of The Ocean? I know little of it, but to an interested, yet ignorant, person like myself, it would appear likely doomed? As I understand, the equipment is not in great shape, so is going to need to be replaced or refurbished at some point - a large, unwanted cost.

[...]
I refer to the discussion of all the various possible scenarios which was already held on the Canadian Public Transit Board:

Quote:
On 2/14/2020 at 5:52 PM, ghYHZ said:
It's 110 km from Truro to Halifax but still only a small portion of the 1350 overall run where you would be looking into the loco from the Park.

Or replace the Park with a Skyline with flip-over seats like CP did on the original Atlantic Ltd when they didn't turn the train in Saint John.

On 2/14/2020 at 10:04 PM, Urban Sky said:
I’m not sure where you would procure these seats for a 65 year old car from, but can we agree that the general sentiment here in this discussion is that the problems caused by the looming unavailability of the Haltern loop track don’t appear to be as insurmountable as certain news reports make them appear...?

On 2/15/2020 at 10:05 AM, ghYHZ said:
Agreed.....not insurmountable at all.

And those flip-over reversible seats might not be too difficult to procure. You'd need 12 per Skyline Dome and METRA in Chicago is replacing that type ......

https://soul-amp.blogspot.com/2007/1...le-chairs.html

......with new fixed seating. And you might not have to look any further than those old AMT-EXO xCP Vickers Double-Decks (Gallery)  sitting in Point St Charles......they had similar seating. The seats CP used in the Atlantic Skyline came from old commuter coaches.

Quote:
There are 3 sitting in working condition at the maintenance centre in Montreal right now not doing anything. Plus there are close to a dozen more at both Toronto and Montreal that could be refurbished if need be.
VIA Rail's website lists 5 RDCs (3 RDC-1 and 2 RDC-2) in its fleet, whereas the CPTDB Wiki lists 6 RDCs (1 RDC-1, 3 RDC-2 and 2 RDC-4). If I remember correctly, there are 3 RDCs stationed in Sudbury for the White River service and there are either 2 or 3 recently refurbished RDCs at TMC. There might be more RDCs rotting around either at MMC or elsewhere, but I doubt that they would be worth the expense to make these almost 70 year old Budds presentable and ready for passenger service. There is an urgent need across North America for FRA-compliant self-propelled cars, but there are unfortunately very good reasons why "VIA Rail RDCs (used primarily on the Sudbury-White River route) are the only remaining RDCs in the world still providing regular service", even though this fact seems to be regarded with at least some pride at VIA...

Last edited by Urban_Sky; Apr 4, 2020 at 11:40 AM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 2:52 AM

Built between:
July 1956-May 1958

!!!!

Canada is not a poor country. We can, and should do better. Those vehicles were built 10 years before Apollo 11!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Built between:
July 1956-May 1958

!!!!

Canada is not a poor country. We can, and should do better. Those vehicles were built 10 years before Apollo 11!
Exactly, even though VIA has acquired unique capabilities in preserving and refreshing ancient cars for continued intercity passenger rail services, we should not forget that this is only the result of the federal government's reluctance to fund the acquisition of a new fleet (until the Budget 2018)...

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Sky View Post
I refer to the discussion of all the various possible scenarios which was already held on the Canadian Public Transit Board:

VIA Rail's website lists 5 RDCs (3 RDC-1 and 2 RDC-2) in its fleet, whereas the CPTDB Wiki lists 6 RDCs (1 RDC-1, 3 RDC-2 and 2 RDC-4). If I remember correctly, there are 3 RDCs stationed in Sudbury for the White River service and there are either 2 or 3 recently refurbished RDCs at TMC. There might be more RDCs rotting around either at MMC or elsewhere, but I doubt that they would be worth the expense to make these almost 70 year old Budds presentable and ready for passenger service. There is an urgent need across North America for FRA-compliant self-propelled cars, but there are unfortunately very good reasons why "VIA Rail RDCs (used primarily on the Sudbury-White River route) are the only remaining RDCs in the world still providing regular service", even though this fact seems to be regarded with at least some pride at VIA...
As far as i know there are only 2 in Sudbury. They cycle to TMC for heavy maintenance checks on the tail-end of the Canadian. The 3 operable ones are in Montreal at the MMC. There are close to a dozen or so stored on the west side of the TMC along with an old Blue sleeper and an LRC unit.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Built between:
July 1956-May 1958

!!!!

Agree 100%

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 2:18 PM

Quote:
As far as i know there are only 2 in Sudbury. They cycle to TMC for heavy maintenance checks on the tail-end of the Canadian. The 3 operable ones are in Montreal at the MMC. There are close to a dozen or so stored on the west side of the TMC along with an old Blue sleeper and an LRC unit.
I'm sure it's totally useless at this point but pretty cool that VIA still has at least one in the fleet. I remember taking a trip to Churchill in 1995 with an all blue-car consist and it felt like a bit of a museum piece even then... and that was 25 years ago.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Exactly, even though VIA has acquired unique capabilities in preserving and refreshing ancient cars for continued intercity passenger rail services, we should not forget that this is only the result of the federal government's reluctance to fund the acquisition of a new fleet (until the Budget 2018)...
This is one thing I really don't get with the government. Even though it won't solve every problem, or even much of the problem at all, buying new rolling stock (more than they are ordering, which is a start) is an easy win. It's a rounding error over a few years on their budget and would go a long way to encouraging public support.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Built between:
July 1956-May 1958

!!!!

And that is the RDCs. Have a look at the Galley business cars used on corridor service. They were built between 1947-49. Also, most of the equipment used on the Canadian was built between 1954-55.

Quote:
This is one thing I really don't get with the government. Even though it won't solve every problem, or even much of the problem at all, buying new rolling stock (more than they are ordering, which is a start) is an easy win. It's a rounding error over a few years on their budget and would go a long way to encouraging public support.
I agree. With the Canadian being primarily a tourist train, part of the romance is the age of the equipment, so there is an argument to keep the same equipment.

It is a different story for the Ocean though. With the Renaissance cars reaching the end of their useful life and not being worth refurbishing (especially since they are significantly more expensive to operate than other equipment), I would suggest new equipment should be purchased for it. The new equipment could be designed for push/pull service and provide a variety of classes of service. Sleepers are great for those who can afford them, but bunks (like the upper/lower berths on the Canadian) would be cheaper than a sleeper but more comfortable than coach.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
And that is the RDCs. Have a look at the Galley business cars used on corridor service. They were built between 1947-49. Also, most of the equipment used on the Canadian was built between 1954-55.

I agree. With the Canadian being primarily a tourist train, part of the romance is the age of the equipment, so there is an argument to keep the same equipment.

It is a different story for the Ocean though. With the Renaissance cars reaching the end of their useful life and not being worth refurbishing (especially since they are significantly more expensive to operate than other equipment), I would suggest new equipment should be purchased for it. The new equipment could be designed for push/pull service and provide a variety of classes of service. Sleepers are great for those who can afford them, but bunks (like the upper/lower berths on the Canadian) would be cheaper than a sleeper but more comfortable than coach.
I mostly agree. I'm not particularly sold on the value of keeping The Ocean, but if we could buy some sleeper cars that were compatible with modern VIA equipment so they could just be slotted in and out as needed, I think that would be OK. I wouldn't want us buying whole trains that could only be used for The Ocean though.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 4:45 PM

Quote:
I can't comment on what's sitting around at maintenance facilities beyond the view of the general public, but there are 3 RDCs in Sudbury (6105, 6219, 6250) of which you can usually see 2 on any departure...

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 8:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I mostly agree. I'm not particularly sold on the value of keeping The Ocean, but if we could buy some sleeper cars that were compatible with modern VIA equipment so they could just be slotted in and out as needed, I think that would be OK. I wouldn't want us buying whole trains that could only be used for The Ocean though.
Why? They did that for the Corridor.

The reality is, the entire fleet needs to be replaced. Most of it is older than most of us. While that is good for tourism, there is the challenge of keeping older equipment safe and in good running order. I wish the current Renaissance fleet could be used. Then we would have enough to add more service elsewhere.

Once the Corridor replacement fleet is filled, a new order of new trains should be done. Then the rest of the network can get newer equipment.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
As shown in post #1167, the Ocean had a Variable Operation Ratio of just under 50% and that is using Renaissance equipment, which is by far the most expensive equipment to use (as explained in post #539). More economical equipment would boost the Ocean's Variable Operation Ratio significantly.

The question is how much will it cost? If you look at the corridor fleet renewal program, it is costing $989 million to build the 32 trainsets, or about $31 million per trainset, which I assume to have 1 locomotive and 6 coaches. If we assume the locamotive portion of the trainset is $11 million ref (that is USD, but lets assume par), that means each coach costs about $3.3 million. Now sleepers will likely cost more than a coach. I don't know how much more, but I can't imagine it being more than 50% more, so lets say $4.5 million. If so, they could buy a 20 car train for about 90 million (they can use their existing F40PH-2 locomotives that are being refurbished). This is probably an over estimate though.

If you consider VIA is spending $22 million per year on Variable operating expenses using Renaissance equipment. With modern equipment, that would go down significantly. Similarly, with modern equipment, the revenue generated would likely go up significantly. As result, the Ocean would likely come close to paying its own variable expenses, similar to The Canadian.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm sure it's totally useless at this point but pretty cool that VIA still has at least one in the fleet. I remember taking a trip to Churchill in 1995 with an all blue-car consist and it felt like a bit of a museum piece even then... and that was 25 years ago.
I believe it is privately owned and just stored there.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
I can't comment on what's sitting around at maintenance facilities beyond the view of the general public, but there are 3 RDCs in Sudbury (6105, 6219, 6250) of which you can usually see 2 on any departure...
I just wasnt sure if they rotated them in and out of there on a regular basis for maintenance. I knew they ran in a set of two but didnt know if they stored another there incase of breakdowns. Im around the maintenance centres often ( daily at TMC ) so i have a pretty good idea whats around.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
If Halterm does in fact get its wish and the Ocean can no longer turn on the pier then VIA will have to adjust the service. I feel the most likely scenario is running the Ocean 2 trips per week as far as Moncton and either bussing or running a “bridge” train to Halifax after it arrives. By doing it this way they can run a single consist on the Ocean which as ive stated before would allow them to scrap the Ren sets and run 1 HEP consist.

Also, once the new corridor trainsets arrive it will free up corridor HEP equipment to be used on other services as well as the F40 locomotives. I could see a lot of this equipment being utilized on the transcon services.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 2:45 AM

Quote:
If Halterm does in fact get its wish and the Ocean can no longer turn on the pier then VIA will have to adjust the service. I feel the most likely scenario is running the Ocean 2 trips per week as far as Moncton and either bussing or running a “bridge” train to Halifax after it arrives. By doing it this way they can run a single consist on the Ocean which as ive stated before would allow them to scrap the Ren sets and run 1 HEP consist.
I would treat the half-sentence I highlighted in bold as a fact, but may I ask you on what information you base all the other speculation in your post? Let's assume that the Ocean has to back up the way it came into Halifax without turning any part of its consist until at least Truro, what insurmountable problems do you anticipate?

Quote:
Nobody uses that train for business for the reasons you mentioned. For leisure travellers the sleepers are really the only reason for taking that train long distance. The idea of leaving Montreal in the evening and arriving the next on the maritimes without spending money on a hotel is attractive to a lot of people. The fact the sleepers are sold out many trips during the summer proves that they are in high demand and useful. What other cost effective use of sleeper cars is there?

So again i would like you to give me an example of how you scrap it with regular trains? How does a service like that look in your mind? Im curious.
Quote:
What if the alternative is more expensive and inefficient to run? The problem with the idea floating around on this thread about splitting up the long distance trains into shorter segments is that it does nothing for OTP. One train isnt going to leave until the previous train arrives so that the connections can be made. This happens often with the Ocean. It almost always waits for train 64 to arrive into Montreal before departing so that all the passengers from SW Ontario can connect.

Theres a reason why the Ocean has existed relatively unchanged for nearly 100 years and thats because it works best the way it is currently run. By that i mean as a single continuous train from Montreal to Halifax. Splitting it up into segments will make it more inconvenient thus lowering ridership and increasing its costs to taxpayers. Same with the Canadian. If im going on a cross Canada train trip i dont want to change trains 3 times enroute and neither do the people that use it.
You seem to have a pretty good grasp of the nature of the ridership on the Ocean (and the Canadian); therefore, I am surprised that you believe that anyone would consider terminating the Ocean at Moncton and to shuttle passengers by RDC (or even bus) to Halifax...

That said, the following mention quote provides me finally with a welcome pretext to plug in what would have been "Part 3" in a post I drafted almost 2 months ago, but never completed, and which I will post in a separate post below:
Quote:
What other cost effective use of sleeper cars is there?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 2:47 AM

Night trains in the Corridor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
I read somewhere that the Canadian used to wait for the Montreal-Toronto night train when it was delayed.

On a related note, I wish VIA ran overnight services. Daytime train service is only really practical if the trip is under 3-4h or 400-500km. But overnight services are competitive for distances upwards of 12h or 800-1200km because it's travelling during times you can't or wouldn't want to be flying or driving anyhow. And with a lot of our rail service being painfully slow compared with driving (I'm looking at you, 50km/h Montreal-NYC), night service turns this from a bug to almost an advantage.

Their effect is multiplied by the connections it allows too; A nightly Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal would mean that someone, say, from Windsor could have a full weekend in Quebec City. Today, the same trip would allow you just enough time to get there before you need to turn right back.

It would be something quite different from the 'land-cruise' Canadian and Ocean of today. If you're just getting on, sleeping, and getting off, you only really need a bed and maybe someplace to get some basic pre-made meals. It would require investments in the equipment - UrbanSky has written in the past about their cost. But I think it would turn some long and useless routes into highly practical options for everyday people, increase the value of the connecting services on either end, and offer the possibility of introducing some attractive new transport products in areas which aren't served.
One of the many key problems with night trains is that they accommodate a passenger group which has very particular needs: They want to be able to board the train between 9 and 11pm and to leave it the next morning between 7 and 9am, with some passengers being more at the early side and some rather at the late side. Unfortunately, offering a 2 hour window is only possible at a station where the train originates or terminates and thus only works for one city-pair.

Have a look at the various timetable scenarios I’ve outlined below:

Note: start times for boarding (where applicable) are indicated in yellow, end times for deboarding (where applicable) are indicated in orange and timings which have been matched with the current schedule of existing VIA services are highlighted.

#1 shows the ideal Montreal-Toronto (and v.v.) schedule: Board after 9pm, depart at 11pm, arrive at 7am, leave by 9am. Note that the timings in Kingston fall into the middle of the night and the schedule is therefore highly unattractive for anyone else than overnight passengers.

#2a shows the ideal Montreal-Toronto schedule as above, but with a detour via Ottawa. Note how the train passes through Ottawa at highly unattractive times (1am westbound, 5am eastbound).

#2b shows the same Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto route, but with timings optimized for Ottawa-Toronto (and v.v.). Note how the departure time in Montreal is much too early (only 30 minutes later than Train #669 today) and the arrival time in Montreal much too late (only 27 minutes earlier than Train #60 today) to offer any benefit over the daytime connections offered today.

#3a shows the ideal Quebec-Toronto (and v.v.) schedule. Note that the timings in Montreal are at highly unattractive times (3am westbound, 5am eastbound) and that the route is so long that the train would only arrive at 08:30 at its destination.

#3b shows the same Quebec-Montreal-Toronto route, but with timings optimized for Montreal-Toronto (and v.v.). Note how the arrival and departure times in Quebec (12:30 and 17:30, respectively) are too much in the middle of the day to be attractive for overnight passengers.

#4a shows the ideal Montreal-London (and v.v.) schedule. Note that the timings in Toronto are at highly unattractive times (01:30 eastbound, 04:30 westbound).

#4b shows the same Montreal-Toronto-London route, but with timings optimized for Montreal-Toronto (and v.v.). Note how the arrival and departure times in Quebec (11:15 and 18:45, respectively) are too much in the middle of the day to be attractive for overnight passengers.

But how do these theoretical schedules compare to some schedules we’ve seen for night trains in the past?

#5a shows the Montreal-Toronto (and v.v.) night train together with the Montreal-Toronto-Windsor (and v.v.) through sleeper, which CN operated until April 1969. Shown are the timings from October 1968, where the boarding start time in Montreal (23:00) and the departure time (23:55) were both rather late. Unsurprisingly, arrival and departure time in Windsor are so far in the middle of the day, that you could comfortably fly arrive/departure in Windsor at the same time, but spend the night at home rather than in a bed on wheels.

#5b shows CP’s Montreal-Toronto (and v.v.) night train together with the Montreal-Toronto-Windsor-Detroit through sleeper, which CP operated until April 1964. Shown are the timings from October 1963, which has a boarding and departure time in Montreal which is one hour earlier, whereas the arrival time in Montreal is basically the same. The arrival/departure times in Windsor and Detroit are even worse than those of CN, meaning that the journey does cost the passenger half a day (on top of the whole night).

#6a shows the Montreal-Toronto (and v.v.) night train, which VIA inherited from CN and operated until the January 1990 cuts. Shown are the May 1988 timings, which are basically unchanged compared to 1968, but have a slightly earlier departure and boarding time in Montreal.

#6b shows the Ottawa-Toronto (and v.v.) night train, which VIA also inherited from CN and soon rerouted to run via Kingston east of Napanee and thus combined with the Montreal-Toronto night train west of Brockville until its cancellation in October 1988 (when it was replaced with a fourth day train). Shown are agan the May 1988 timings, which have a slightly later departure time and earlier arrival time in Ottawa, but both is compensated by extended occupation periods while the train is stationary in Ottawa.

#7 shows the Montreal-Toronto (and v.v.) night train which VIA operated under the name “Enterprise” between 2000 and 2005. Departure time (shown are the May 2005 timings) is the same as pre-1990 (#6a), but with a slightly later arrival time in Toronto or Montreal, as the train acted as early morning commuter train from Kingston to Toronto and from Brockville to Montreal, whereas I didn’t find any note about at what time passengers would have been accepted to access their cabins.

But what timings could we have if VIA was to resurrect night trains in the Corridor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
Just to take down the strawman, I'm definitely not advocating for a single daily night trains to replace any daytime service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
I didn't expect you were, but without dedicated tracks, this would be a likely outcome.
Unfortunately, Roger1818 is absolutely correct in stating that the only way to gain a slot for a night train is to forgo one slot currently taken by a day train, as there are no more slots available through bottle necks like Coteau, Durham Junction or into Toronto Union Station. The only way to avoid displacing day trains is to replace them and that means swallow trains #651 (like the “Enterprise” did), 650, 22 and 39. On a plus side, this automatically adds Ottawa onto the route.

#8a shows such a Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto (and v.v.) schedule in which the hypothetical night train would take exactly the same timings as trains 39, 651, 650 and 22 today. The result is, unfortunately, a very early departure in Montreal (18:50) and Toronto (19:35), whereas the departure and arrival times in Ottawa would be fairly early.

#8b shows therefore the same schedule, but with a departure time which is much more reasonable for night train passengers (but try to tell that intercity passengers which would rather head back from Montreal to Ottawa or from Toronto to Cobourg, Belleville or Kingston sooner than later after a long day in the big city). However, the later departure time in Ottawa means that this train can no longer act as a late-evening return from Ottawa to Kingston.

As you can see there certainly is no night train timetable which could fit all Corridor markets which might have enough demand potential to fit at least one sleeper, just like there is no less certainly no demand to operate two separate night train services. Therefore, a revival of night trains in the Corridor seems highly unlikely, regardless of whether HFR gets implemented or not...

Last edited by Urban_Sky; Apr 6, 2020 at 1:26 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2020, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Because the public doesn't care. When HFR finally becomes real, the public perception of rail will change and the demand for inter-city rail investment will go up. What's critical here is not how many cities or jurisdictions are covered. It's how many trips can be facilitated by rail as quickly as possible. I really want to see Calgary-Edmonton enter the discussion, despite the capital costs of new corridor. It's the other obvious corridor beyond Quebec-Windsor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada