HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 26, 2020, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post

Thanks for posting the old pics. It's striking to see a one-storey supermarket where Park Lane is now.
You're welcome!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2020, 8:26 PM

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 3:16 AM

Thanks. Love seeing those tram tracks. And nice neon on the CBC Radio building!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 3:11 PM

Glad you enjoyed. I find them interesting as well, but tend to overdo posting pics once I start finding them...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Glad you enjoyed. I find them interesting as well, but tend to overdo posting pics once I start finding them...
It's always neat to see the older pictures. I wonder, though, if it may be time for a dedicated 'Historic Halifax' sub-forum, with threads that could focus on specific areas/times. (IE, Historic Barrington Street, Historic Downtown Halifax, 1930s Halifax, 1950s Dartmouth). There are so many great pictures that get lost in the massive Historic Halifax thread and other development threads that trying to track down where you've seen something can be a pain.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
It's always neat to see the older pictures. I wonder, though, if it may be time for a dedicated 'Historic Halifax' sub-forum, with threads that could focus on specific areas/times. (IE, Historic Barrington Street, Historic Downtown Halifax, 1930s Halifax, 1950s Dartmouth). There are so many great pictures that get lost in the massive Historic Halifax thread and other development threads that trying to track down where you've seen something can be a pain.
Sounds like a good idea, but would be up to the mods to create. I would have no problem posting historical stuff in the appropriate sub-forum if it were set up like that. However, there will still be times when it seems best to post old pics in a particular development thread to illustrate some point, I think.

Another way would be to just create individual threads in an existing subforum, like Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues. There are already some there, but they are not organized in any particular fashion, just discussed as subjects come up.

I've never really looked at these as creating some sort of searchable archive, but only a means to discuss old buildings or streetscapes that might interest me from time to time. Sometimes a discussion ensues, sometimes it ends with my one post. It's fine either way as good discussion should flow somewhat organically, IMHO. I do find the search function on this forum to be pretty good, though.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 3:47 PM

Oh, yeah, wasn't suggesting that photos be limited to historic threads. They're definitely applicable here. They just get lost to time as threads grow stale... or 49+ pages long, or spread among several different project threads.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 4:03 PM

Quote:
I've never really looked at these as creating some sort of searchable archive, but only a means to discuss old buildings or streetscapes that might interest me from time to time. Sometimes a discussion ensues, sometimes it ends with my one post. It's fine either way as good discussion should flow somewhat organically, IMHO. I do find the search function on this forum to be pretty good, though.
Speaking of which, I have never been successful at understanding what happens to posts beyond a certain age here. I know they disappear, and I know they do not show up when you use the search function here. I believe there is an archive, but I don't know where it is or if it is separately searchable. Can anyone fill me in?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
Oh, yeah, wasn't suggesting that photos be limited to historic threads. They're definitely applicable here. They just get lost to time as threads grow stale... or 49+ pages long, or spread among several different project threads.
I agree with you. I've tried to find posts that I know I had made sometime in the past because they may be relevant to another conversation that's going on. I will admit to having scrolled through 20ish pages to find that one post... and then getting distracted reading something interesting in those pages...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Speaking of which, I have never been successful at understanding what happens to posts beyond a certain age here. I know they disappear, and I know they do not show up when you use the search function here. I believe there is an archive, but I don't know where it is or if it is separately searchable. Can anyone fill me in?
I tried doing a search just now and it will find 100 posts, maximum. Age doesn't seem to be a factor as the age of oldest post found was determined by whatever was #100 of the results found.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 7:58 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 10:44 PM

Not vague at all.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 4:11 PM

Southwest purchased that building not too long ago. No immediate plans.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 4:51 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I posted that as an aerial view of this development, not so much to point out the sale of the smaller building, although I guess that might be interesting too.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I posted that as an aerial view of this development, not so much to point out the sale of the smaller building, although I guess that might be interesting too.
I really like how the Doyle and the Library stand out in that picture. That whole block is beautiful.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 5:44 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Another view from a drone video showing Curve:

Source

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 5:57 PM

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Never feel that way. Love these.
Man I'd love to see more cobble around.
Offset how quiet modern cars are especially hybrids for pedestrians.... who actually bothered to listen also.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Another view from a drone video showing Curve:

Source
Great shot! And my bias comes out again. Man that blue crap on the back of the lord Nelson is awful.

And 5675 couldn't even pretend it was a finished product with those blank walls.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2020, 1:47 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth