HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 12:17 AM

^Wow that is dumb, especially considering how stunt racing charges have been up significantly during COVID.

Who cares if school is not in session? Is the plan to not use them in the summer, Christmas break and March Break? How does that make sense?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnixon View Post
^Wow that is dumb, especially considering how stunt racing charges have been up significantly during COVID.

Who cares if school is not in session? Is the plan to not use them in the summer, Christmas break and March Break? How does that make sense?
Autowa strikes again.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 9:31 PM

Quote:

I expect the delay is because of a lack of manpower resulting from COVID, and not because they don’t think it necessary because of COVID.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 1:35 AM

Online Consultation on the Reconstruction of Albert Street/Queen Street/Slater Street from Empress Avenue to Bay Street and Bronson Avenue from Queen Street to Laurier Avenue

https://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/publi...avenue#2231726

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Online Consultation on the Reconstruction of Albert Street/Queen Street/Slater Street from Empress Avenue to Bay Street and Bronson Avenue from Queen Street to Laurier Avenue

https://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/publi...avenue#2231726

I could knit-pick - but I think its looking great

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 10:41 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ottawa's photo radar will start July 13

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Jun 24, 2020 • Last Updated 1 hour ago • 1 minute read

Photo radar is rolling out in Ottawa starting July 13.

Council on Wednesday voted unanimously in favour of turning on the speed enforcement cameras after the pilot program was delayed because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Photo radar in a handful of community safety zones was supposed to start in March, but the pandemic forced students to stay home for the rest of the school year.

According to the city, police have noticed an increase in speeding cars and the number of cyclists and pedestrians during daytime hours. Police have boosted speed enforcement on arterial roads.

Coun. Tim Tierney, chair of council’s transportation committee, said there’s “a lot of race car drivers out there,” noting the number of complaints about speeding coming into his office.

Council has already approved the eight areas near schools that will get photo radar first. They are:
  • Innes Road (École secondaire catholique Béatrice-Desloges)
  • Bayshore Drive (St. Rose of Lima School)
  • Ogilvie Road (Gloucester High School)
  • Smyth Road (Vincent Massey Public School, Hillcrest High School and École secondaire catholique Franco-Cité)
  • Meadowlands Drive West (St. Gregory School)
  • Watters Road (St. Francis of Assisi School)
  • Longfields Drive (École élémentaire catholique Pierre-Elliott-Trudeau, St. Mother Teresa High School and Longfields-Davidson Heights Secondary School)
  • Katimavik Road (Holy Trinity Catholic High School)

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-8847216c434d/

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 6:52 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.insideottawavalley.com/n...arleton-place/

Carleton Place municipal council wants sidewalks along Highway 7. Are you guys sure that M.T.O. wants the freeway to use the current alignment?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
https://www.insideottawavalley.com/n...arleton-place/

Carleton Place municipal council wants sidewalks along Highway 7. Are you guys sure that M.T.O. wants the freeway to use the current alignment?
It is impossible to make Highway 7 through Carleton Place a freeway. There would need to be a new bypass. There is too much commercial development facing the current highway. And that is exactly why they want sidewalks, to serve pedestrians accessing all that commercial development.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
It is impossible to make Highway 7 through Carleton Place a freeway. There would need to be a new bypass. There is too much commercial development facing the current highway. And that is exactly why they want sidewalks, to serve pedestrians accessing all that commercial development.
Could look something like Highway 11 North of Barrie.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 4:14 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I mean, perfect! Now we can put the alignment that goes by Smith Falls Via Station back on the table!
When I get home, I will draw and show.

Last edited by Dengler Avenue; Jul 4, 2020 at 7:32 PM. Reason: Darn it I clicked "save" instead of "cancel" when I didn't mean to edit this.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 7:31 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
I mean, perfect! Now we can put the alignment that goes by Smith Falls Via Station back on the table!
It took a bit long, but here we go:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...xQ&usp=sharing

Yay for armchair engineering...

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Could look something like Highway 11 North of Barrie.
That section of highway isn't great, I doubt the MTO would make the mistake of building that style of highway again.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 12:52 AM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
From a post I did 7 years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Some odd thoughts on highways:

- Extend the four-laning west of Carleton Place south along the Highway 15 corridor towards Smiths Falls instead of the weird route north of Mississippi Lake, and re-dub this entire section Highway 415. This would equally benefit Perth and Smiths Falls.

- Reroute a new corridor for Highway 7, forming a 2 lane (possibly super-2) bypass using parts of Roger Stevens and Snake Island Road (bridge across Rideau River already exists). Improves access to Embrun, Russell, Metcalfe, North Gower etc. This route is too far south to encourage sprawl, but provides alternate trucking route from the Queensway.

A four-laned hwy 15 direct to Kingston would probably be more useful in the mid-term. Smiths Falls really could use a high bridge across the Rideau that bypasses the lift bridges in the summer.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 1:16 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Highway 7 (or Highway 443??) for Ottawa Bypass... Sure why not?
Well, as long as the land’s still available

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catenary View Post
That section of highway isn't great, I doubt the MTO would make the mistake of building that style of highway again.
No way it meets current design standards. I can’t see the MTO allowing another stretch where people have to turn out of businesses and houses directly onto a 90 kmph road. They’ll need a full bypass.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil235 View Post
No way it meets current design standards. I can’t see the MTO allowing another stretch where people have to turn out of businesses and houses directly onto a 90 kmph road. They’ll need a full bypass.
Yep. At the same time though, the MTO standards have a massive gap between "2 lane 90 km/h highway" and "400 series freeway" with nothing in between. Ontario could really use some super 2s.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 1:48 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Oh yea, by the way, does anyone know what the routing of Highway 417 is supposed to be like from Petawawa to Rolphton?
I asked in a highway group on FB, but someone from Pembroke told me that the stretch from the C.F.B. to Rolphton was only conceptual and that only(?) the library in Pembroke has a picture(?) of it. Obviously, even if libraries are reopened, making a trek to Eastern Ontario just for that isn't exactly the best use of my time.
I also read from a news article that the freeway is supposed to go west of Chalk River (so farther away from the nuclear lab) but I couldn't find it anymore (probably archived). Does this sound familiar to anyone??
Kitchissippi, do you happen to have that on your map? This way, I don't have to reinvent the wheel.
For context, this is what I'm working on: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...j0&usp=sharing
I'm simply examining route options for sections where M.T.O. either has nothing or hasn't come up with something concrete.
Thanks in advance, peeps.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catenary View Post
Yep. At the same time though, the MTO standards have a massive gap between "2 lane 90 km/h highway" and "400 series freeway" with nothing in between. Ontario could really use some super 2s.
Super 2's are notoriously dangerous, look at hwy 50

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 2:18 PM

This didn't make the news but made the traffic report this morning:

https://twitter.com/cbcotttraffic/st...37285946290182

Quote:
Southbound lanes of St. Laurent Blvd, from Coventry Rd to the Hwy 417 W/B off ramp, have been temporarily closed. The closure is due to damage to the overpass from Labelle St into St. Laurent Shopping Centre. Motorists should consider alternate routes.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 5:19 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Transit boss against temporarily reducing vehicle lanes in Ottawa

Joanne Laucius, Ottawa Citizen
Publishing date: Jul 14, 2020 • Last Updated 17 hours ago • 2 minute read

The city’s general manager of Transportation Services, John Manconi, has recommended against reallocating more space on roadways for pedestrians and cyclists on a temporary city-wide basis.

In a memo addressed to Mayor Jim Watson and city council, Manconi said there was a significant decrease in vehicle traffic after the state of emergency was announced on March 25, as well as an influx of pedestrian and foot traffic.

But city staff monitoring traffic patterns have noted that vehicle traffic increased starting in May as the economy began to reopen.

“This trend of increasing motorized vehicles on the road has continued, although it is still unclear how transportation needs will change as Ottawa residents return to work and continue to access businesses across the city,” said Manconi’s memo.

Meanwhile, major employers, such as the federal government, are also expected to announce plans for their work forces that would impact downtown mobility, said Manconi. Corridors that were quiet in March and April are now beginning to see congestion at certain times of day, especially in commercial areas of the city, he said.

“Reducing lanes in these areas on a temporary basis would increase existing congestion and affect the movement of traffic on these streets,” said the memo.

“This would also impact OC Transpo, which as part of the transit recovery plan, has returned to full summer service.”

The memo also noted that cost estimates to implement temporary city-wide changes are in the several millions of dollars for the remainder of 2020 — and there’s no funding for it.

City staff will continue to monitor and adapt to changing transportation patterns said Manconi, and will bring forward recommendations to the transportation committee and work with councillors to identify locations where allocating space to pedestrians and cyclists on the right-of-way would be feasible and effective.

Temporary traffic control measures are being implemented where the necessary criteria are met, including a petition signed by two-thirds of businesses, and where a funding source has been confirmed.

The city has earmarked $28 million for stand-alone active transportation projects for this term of council.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-829820d9ddbd/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation