HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 4:54 PM
Community Guy

Evergolds could work if it harkens back to the golden years of the CFL and we wear alllllll gollllld.

https://slm-assets.secondlife.com/as...jpg?1536224702

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 6:57 PM
Starring as himself

Elk-moose?

Closer to the original and there is the tiger-cat precedent.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Elk-moose?

Closer to the original and there is the tiger-cat precedent.
I guess Elk-Deer would be closer to that analogy?

How about the GreenGolds? It's not even close in spelling like the Roughrider/Rough Riders. Super easy to differentiate from other teams

Edit: GREENGOLDS, obviously

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 7:16 PM
BANNED

Was wondering if anyone was interested in a rewatch tournament?

Take random games from previous seasons. Have it set up in a 7 game playoff format with 8 teams.

Since a few of you might remember the winners and losers from each game, the winner is determined by the spread and not the win.

I.e. take the Argos-Eskimos game from 2017, if the winners are 10 points above the loser, they are declared the winner, if the spread is less than 10 points the loser is declared the winner.

A bunch of games are up on youtube so it wouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 9:57 PM

It seems like they provided people with one or two legitimate options and then the rest are filler. I can't believe for a second "Evergolds" was a top seven choice over something like Energy.

Edmonton Elks has to be the only choice (emphasis on Elks and not just Elk; if the Leafs can do it you can too). I do like Evergreens, Eagles, and surprisingly Elkhounds, but I can't see them being chosen. And from there it's just a massive dropoff to whatever else these names are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
And remember how weird REDBLACKS sounded when it was announced? We all got used to it though, and I'd even go so far as to say that it's a decent name.
Oh I'm still weirded out by it. It's a dumb name.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 10:03 PM
The New Republic

Of those choices, 'Elk' is the best. I suppose their 1897-1910 name 'Esquimaux' wasn't up for consideration? Is that just 'Eskimo' in French? Getting back to 'Elk' they were called the 'Elks' in 1922.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmonton_Football_Team

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 12:24 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
It seems like they provided people with one or two legitimate options and then the rest are filler. I can't believe for a second "Evergolds" was a top seven choice over something like Energy.

Edmonton Elks has to be the only choice (emphasis on Elks and not just Elk; if the Leafs can do it you can too). I do like Evergreens, Eagles, and surprisingly Elkhounds, but I can't see them being chosen. And from there it's just a massive dropoff to whatever else these names are.

Oh I'm still weirded out by it. It's a dumb name.
It's easy to trademark and get social media handles with a unique name. Elks is going to require negotiation with the Elks Club (Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks), which seems to own the elks web addresses. "Edmontonelks.com" is the Edmonton Elks Club.

Elkhound.com and Elkhounds.com seem to be available.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 4:37 AM

Elksfootball.ca is available!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 5:43 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

I thought “Energy” was a good fit but I guess it didn’t even make the top 7.
Given the choices I hope they go with ElkS.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 3:33 AM

So the "Exclusive" rights holder to the CFL decides that on one of the biggest days for their "flagship" entity to make a big splash decides to knock them off the pages with the slaughter of their radio stations.

I had misgivings back in 07 when TSN took over and it seems that all of my fears have come through.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 3:54 AM

Evergreen doesn't work in a city that is never green lol.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 7:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
wish they stuck with Eskimos I still find the name honoring people of the north and a tribute to their toughness and not racist but that's just me I guess I will be labelled racist just for thinking that.
I don't think its honoring people of the north. But I don't think it's any worst than Canucks. If it was directly an issue of honoring Inuit you'd just call them Edmonton Inuits or something similar.

My understanding is that there is no connection with inuits and it's just a dumb name along the lines of Canadians, Leafs, Canucks.

If I was them I"d just call it the Edmonton Eeelers, a mix of Steelers/Oilers with an E sound.

Have an issue as the thing a man do.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 7:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I actually really like this idea - but cautiously if that makes sense.

One concern is that it might make the league seem even more "small time" in the larger markets.

And then we end up with a CHL-style situation where the league is in tons of markets big and small across the country, is actually a national leader in bums in seats, but has little to no national visibility.

OTOH, under a hypothetical scenario (if they can pull it off) having 10,000 people at a CFL game in Vaughan, 8,000 people at a CFL game in Mississauga, 9,000 at a CFL game in Oshawa, and 10,000 people at a CFL game at BMO Field in Toronto, all on the same weekend, would arguably be better than having just 15,000 people from the entire GTA at a single Argos game at BMO.
I've been arguing for years that one team in the GTA is just gonna be invisible.

8 games a year in a place so busy doesn't make any sense.

Ironically I think baseballs exceptionally long season is a real benefit.

You can just casually set a date with friends for whenever and not give it a second thought.

Mississauga etc needs a team, not to mention London, KCW, etc.

CHL is obviously overkill, no city smaller than 200k should ever be considered for a team, and even then only if it is a regional hub.

I think 1 team for every 2 million people(in the region) makes sense.

EDIT: The most obvious thing to do would be create some sort of farm league/expansion hybrid.

Every team gets an affiliate, players are rotated between the farm team and the main team to cut down on roster costs. Use a ton of local/junior talent to fill out the rest of the teams at low cost.

Get rid of exhibition games altogether.

Place all the teams in Eastern Canada. With a St Lawrence division with Sherbrooke, QC. Moncton, Halifax, and put 5 teams in the GTA/London/KWC.

Set the farm league to start in Early spring maybe mid April.

Set it up so in the future the league could become it's own conference I.e. AFC-NFC equivalents

If the Big CFL fails you have a small scale landing pad, if the farm teams thrive you can bring the more successful teams into the fold.

Last edited by LakeLocker; Feb 10, 2021 at 8:12 AM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 8:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Elements! Elements! Elements!

Springfield Isotopes, Edmonton Elements. I am totally on board.
Elements would make a ton of sense in a city with such harsh weather.

Make it a earth wind rock and fire type thing.

Reference the snow, the oil, earth and wind or something of the sort.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 8:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
The finances of CFL teams will not work unless full capacity at stadiums is approved by all provincial governments. This was the case last year and nothing has changed last I checked. Teams do not derive sufficient revenues from sponsorships and the tv deal to compensate for crowds in the 5 - 10,000 range.

With that said, I expect to see a noticeable drop in crowds should the season commence with a 10-12 game schedule in late August/early September (best case scenario imo). Many past and potential ticket holders have experienced economic setbacks during the COVID crisis and as a result will have to cut back, or even outright eliminate, their discretionary spending.

While cheaper than the big-4 sports leagues an CFL outing is hardly a cheap experience. Easily one hundred dollars for a pair of OK tickets alone, not including parking and concessions. A good portion of the CFL live audience are working and middle class - a group that collectively experienced
negative economic outcomes during the pandemic.

If a 2021 season comes to pass, I think average crowds will decrease by 3,000 per game. All pro sports will experience this decline, even in the big-4.
I think the doom and gloom is unwarranted.

Unlike the NHL the TV contracts aren't the driving force for the league.

The government has been printing money like crazy. We're likely gonna see major inflationary forces as people flock to public forms of entertainment.

Obviously baseball, CHL etc will be more likely to be at full capacity soonest, but you'll still be able to capture a good bit of the overflow.

The CFL has a bright future piggybacking off other sports related streaming services.

I.e. even Amazon was streaming NFL games.

I think the CFL has enough of a novelty factor to be worth something on streaming services.

You have an existing product, you are in NA time zones, and the NFL is infinitely more expensive.

Just as purely off season filler I think it has a real chance.

The CFL is much like the MLS where its far from being the biggest kid on the block. However it absolutely has a unique niche.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
So the "Exclusive" rights holder to the CFL decides that on one of the biggest days for their "flagship" entity to make a big splash decides to knock them off the pages with the slaughter of their radio stations.

I had misgivings back in 07 when TSN took over and it seems that all of my fears have come through.
Meh. I take your point that Bell's announcement could have waited a day or two, but at the same time, when the league hasn't played in over a year it's not like CFL free agency would have been that of a big deal. And I say this as a bigger CFL fan than most.

There has been so much chaos in the league with a season called off, players coming and going, etc. that only the hardest of hardcore fans would take note that, for example, the Montreal Alouettes signed Chris Ackie and Almondo Sewell.

But that said, I was happy to hear that the Bombers signed good Winnipeg boy Mike Benson as a long snapper.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 3:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLocker View Post
Elements would make a ton of sense in a city with such harsh weather.

Make it a earth wind rock and fire type thing.

Reference the snow, the oil, earth and wind or something of the sort.
I like Edmonton Elements too. The harsh weather, the petrochemical angle...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Meh. I take your point that Bell's announcement could have waited a day or two, but at the same time, when the league hasn't played in over a year it's not like CFL free agency would have been that of a big deal. And I say this as a bigger CFL fan than most.

There has been so much chaos in the league with a season called off, players coming and going, etc. that only the hardest of hardcore fans would take note that, for example, the Montreal Alouettes signed Chris Ackie and Almondo Sewell.

But that said, I was happy to hear that the Bombers signed good Winnipeg boy Mike Benson as a long snapper.
I hear you.
In all honesty I've been extremely disappointed with the amount of care and feeding that TSN/Bell media has shown towards its "Flagship" partner. TSN has been mailing its CFL product in since they lost the NHL rights.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 5:34 PM

I've had the CFL on the mind lately. Maybe it's free agency and the lead up or all the restructuring of an contracts or what name Edmonton rebrands it self with, but man, I hope we get a season this year!! I wouldn't even care if the Riders were bad... (That's a lie, I can't help but care...)

Anyways I kinda re read the thread from the start and I do think that a CFL that can expand in Ontario and out east is the best way forward. I envision something like this.

West Division remains unchanged.
B.C., Calgary, Edmonton, Sask, Winnipeg

Central Division:
Hamilton, Toronto and three of Windsor, London, KWC, Mississauga

East Division:
Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, Halifax, Moncton

Teams within a division play each other twice and teams outside the division once equalling 18 games.

Obviously lots of hurdles to climb for this to work. Stadiums, owners, fans, etc. But if they can make some 15000 stadiums work and grow organically I think there is potential. That size of stadium would hopefully work well with CPL teams as well so maybe a new stadium in Halifax ends up with two tennants or London or Windsor pursue teams in both leagues.

How the league gets there is for someone more qualified than I to figure out, but I do think there is potential in the idea.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The S'toon Goon View Post

Obviously lots of hurdles to climb for this to work. Stadiums, owners, fans, etc. But if they can make some 15000 stadiums work and grow organically I think there is potential. That size of stadium would hopefully work well with CPL teams as well so maybe a new stadium in Halifax ends up with two tennants or London or Windsor pursue teams in both leagues.

How the league gets there is for someone more qualified than I to figure out, but I do think there is potential in the idea.
I've long had similar ideas. More teams = more games TV = more money = need less fans?

More cities = more fans = more interest?

Unfortunately it's a lot of moving parts, with stadia being the hardest, but there has to be a way to make a league of 12-15 teams with 10-20000 fans each viable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada