HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 5:47 PM
BANNED

Commission staunch business women by Charles Ray

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/5c/88/98/5...-mannequin.jpg

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Aug 7, 2018 at 9:38 PM. Reason: please use hyperlinks for unsourced images

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 5:57 PM

Yes, I will judge this guys "art". Just because you can hang it on a wall doesn't make it art. Just because you got a degree in art doesn't make you a good artist. I can hang up dog poop on a gallery wall, doesn't make it art.

Just reading the artists statement of pseudo-intellectual gobbledey-gook, gibberish, claptrap, makes me want to vomit.

"Virtual spaces are mathematically defined but physically problematic. Pre-existing objects are structurally problematized by imaginative alteration. Materials offer a resistance that guides choices. Meaning is deflected by altering form. The specific and the given are historical facts to contend with as each artwork emerges."

"Problematized"??? Please give me a break!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 7:28 PM
Ω

^In architecture school we called that "archibabble" - lol. The art world has "artbabble".

After looking up his portfolio after making that post I am personally not impressed... His art looks lazy. Not "lazy" like how people criticize color theory Rothko-style stuff but lazy as in it seems made to simply exist without thought. The folded aluminum stuff especially.
Art is subjective though. And everyone's a critic.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 8:23 PM

There is a small article in Crains talking about how the CEO of Discount Tire ($4B+ in revenue, based in Arizona) bought a condo in the Palmolive Building for $6.25M. They mention that it's the 16th sale this year in the area of a minimum of $6M but last year at this time there was only 1. Kind of interesting..

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 9:52 PM

Loooooooong time lurker here. Pre-Waterview Tower collapse brings nostalgia to my high school days when everything and anything is possible.

Finally decided to go ahead and join as I've been more active up in the Lakeview area, and involved in retail development as a career.

Anyhow, was up in Wrigleyville earlier and noticed the former parking garage at 3458 N. Clark is under construction. Rare, quite rare, that something slips through but never recall seeing news for the site across from the Wheelhouse Hotel parcel.

Always interested in a new/bar restaurant I can get to, figure it to be as much so curious if anyone knew about the future of that site. Pardon the long introduction, hopefully over the years of lurking I'll know how to adhere to the written (and unwritten) forum rules

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 11:06 PM
BANNED

https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2018...rmits-of-july/

Chicago’s top building permits of July
A University of Chicago dorm and ComEd’s new Avondale facility topped the list of priciest approved projects

By Alex Nitkin | Research by Laura Hanrahan
August 06, 2018 03:30PM

ComEd’s new planned facility in Avondale, rendering of the Woodlawn Residential Commons and Pullman Elementary School
The University of Chicago’s plan for a 1,300-bed dorm complex on the southern edge of its Hyde Park campus topped the list of construction permits issued by the city’s buildings department in July, with ComEd’s new Avondale complex coming in a distant second.

1. 1156 East 61st Street | $102.6 million
Plans for the University of Chicago’s Woodlawn Residential Commons include 1,309 total dorm beds split among four separate towers, the tallest of which would rise 16 stories. The towers will grow from the same single-story podium, where the university received a permit to build a kitchen and dining hall. The complex is part of the school’s wider effort to grow undergraduate housing near the southern part of its campus.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 6:40 PM

Uptown -- prior Aon office conversion

Demo work underway:

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideNate View Post
Loooooooong time lurker here. Pre-Waterview Tower collapse brings nostalgia to my high school days when everything and anything is possible.

Finally decided to go ahead and join as I've been more active up in the Lakeview area, and involved in retail development as a career.

Anyhow, was up in Wrigleyville earlier and noticed the former parking garage at 3458 N. Clark is under construction. Rare, quite rare, that something slips through but never recall seeing news for the site across from the Wheelhouse Hotel parcel.

Always interested in a new/bar restaurant I can get to, figure it to be as much so curious if anyone knew about the future of that site. Pardon the long introduction, hopefully over the years of lurking I'll know how to adhere to the written (and unwritten) forum rules

welcome

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 2:17 AM
The City

Quote:

Welcome to the forum, and here is the answer to your question about that property:

SELF CERT: SECOND STORY ADDITION TO ONE STORY BUILDING AND INTERIOR BUILD OUT OF TWO-STORY RESTAURANT, C-2 SMALL ASSEMBLY OCCUPANCY, TYPE I-C CONSTRUCTION.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 3:05 PM
BANNED

Where is the Chicago general discussion thread (which should really be called the public policy thread) even? That's why no one posts to it. MODS, if you request that it be tagged "Chicago" it would go a long way in moving valuable political discussion off of this page.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 3:17 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Where is the Chicago general discussion thread (which should really be called the public policy thread) even?.
link: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=208431

Quote:
MODS, if you request that it be tagged "Chicago" it would go a long way in moving valuable political discussion off of this page.
trust me, it's been tried, to no avail. something about how the archaic forum software is written.

if you can't click your mouse one extra time to navigate to the midwest sub-forum, then that's on you.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 3:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
link: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=208431

trust me, it's been tried, to no avail.

if you can't click your mouse one extra time to navigate to the midwest sub-forum, then that's on you.
But that doesn't make any sense, we manage to tag new buildings Chicago all the time. And the issue still remains, if a thread is buried and no one looks at it, no one is going to post on it. If the gen discussion thread had equal visibility then everyone would be happy.

If the software really is that janky, then we could also create a policy thread under general development.

Looks like the forum's backend is PHP, i sort of know that. I'd be happy to work on this problem, probably just involves writing a small query.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 3:27 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
But that doesn't make any sense, we manage to tag new buildings Chicago all the time.
i agree, it doesn't make any sense, but it's apparently the way the forum software code is written, at least that's what i've been told by the higher-ups. apparently, only specific building project threads in the development sub-forums can receive tags for whatever stupid reason.

Quote:
And the issue still remains, if a thread is buried and no one looks at it, no one is going to post on it. If the gen discussion thread had equal visibility then everyone would be happy.
well, that's why i'm now just deleting off-topic political stuff from the development threads, instead of moving it, to force people to go find the appropriate chicago general discussion thread in the midwest sub-forum.

it's not rocket science.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 3:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i agree, it doesn't make any sense, but it's apparently the way the forum software code is written, at least that's what i've been told by the higher-ups. apparently, only specific building project threads in the development sub-forums can receive tags for whatever stupid reason.

well, that's why i'm now just deleting off-topic political stuff from the development threads, instead of moving it, to force people to go find the appropriate chicago general discussion thread in the midwest sub-forum.

it's not rocket science.
Ok, my offer stands that I could fix this with a workaround query. I'm guessing the higher ups don't really understand how the code works.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 4:01 PM
tilted & shifted

Developer Buys Historic Hollander Moving Site, Plans Boutique Offices With Restaurant, Apartments

LOGAN SQUARE — The 106-year-old Hollander Storage & Moving building site on Milwaukee Avenue will soon see new life as a mixed-use development.

About a year after hitting the market, the five-story masonry building at 2418 N. Milwaukee Ave., plus the neighboring single-story annex and adjoining parking lot, now belong to GW Properties. The Chicago-based developer officially bought the properties this week, according to broker Jim Cummings of Newmark Knight Frank.

The plan is to restore the Hollander building to its former glory and then convert it into boutique offices with a restaurant on the ground floor, according to Mitch Goltz, principal of GW Properties.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2018/08...nt-apartments/

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 4:01 PM
BANNED

^cyoot

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 4:04 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The August zoning board agenda is out. One of the items is for a proposed 5 story (63 ft in height) building with 39 units for the corner of Western and Hutchinson (a few blocks south of Montrose). Also would have ground floor commercial/retail. Currently it is or was the Car Outlet car dealership which is mostly a parking lot. It's good to see these potentially vanish..
excellent! i missed this one while i was out of town.

it's so nice to see those god-awful used car dealerships along western getting replaced by actual urban development.

they're fast becoming an endangered species along that stretch, thank pizza god!

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 4:07 PM
Show me the blueprints

^Cool. I hope they repaint and keep the sign.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 4:55 PM
North Beach Style

I'm the neighborhood association president of that area (Hawthorne Neighbors). It's going to be another pizza joint, Happy Camper, the same folks that did this one:

http://www.happycamperchicago.com/

They brought a rendering to our past meeting, I don't have it digitally, but it's kind of an open air 2-story set up.

Quote:

Old Posted Aug 9, 2018, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallo View Post
I'm the neighborhood association president of that area (Hawthorne Neighbors). It's going to be another pizza joint, Happy Camper, the same folks that did this one:

http://www.happycamperchicago.com/

They brought a rendering to our past meeting, I don't have it digitally, but it's kind of an open air 2-story set up.
Awesome! I love Happy Camper. A welcome addition to a section of Clark Street that needs a boost.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development