HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 12:25 AM

Iona Island Wastewater Treatment Plant

Quote:
Flushing for the Next 100 Years – Metro Vancouver has High Hopes for New Iona “Wastewater” Plant

Iona Island Wastewater Treatment Plant Project
After almost a year of covering the urban growth in our city, Darren and I have grown a little used to upending our plans at the last minute to rush to an open house. This one pushed that limit to a new level, as I was almost home when I received Darren’s message about an event on Sea Island. I soon realized our night would be spent learning about a major piece of new infrastructure at a meeting starting in less than an hour.

Soon after, we arrived at the beautifully designed GoodLife Fitness Family Autism Hub just in time to snag a few Nanaimo Bars before starting the first of four planned community workshops. The information was eye opening, as we learned the Burnaby communities of Metrotown, Brentwood, and Gilmore share the same wastewater plant that services the lands west of Boundary Road, and most of Sea Island.

A presentation from space2place revealed that most of Iona Island was created with dredge from the Fraser River and, ironically, in the 1950s there were even plans for it to host a beachfront resort. However, the construction of the north jetty and a causeway to Sea Island, along with the industrial growth along the rivers edges, led the water quality quickly into a nosedive. Soon after a decision was made to build a wastewater plant here, which opened in 1963. Since then, its been upgrade 6 times, yet only provides primary treatment of our toilet trappings.
https://cityduo.wordpress.com/2019/0...tewater-plant/

Project Page:
http://www.metrovancouver.org/servic...s/default.aspx

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 8:47 AM

How are they going to operate it without the jetty?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2019, 7:09 PM

^Is it necessary to quote all the pictures from the previous post just to ask that question?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
How are they going to operate it without the jetty?
The North Jetty existed before the plant, so I'm assuming it doesn't play a role in plant operations.

As for the Southern Jetty, again I have to assume, that if the plant is brought up to a high enough standard, then the wasteline wouldn't be needed. I would speculate that even moving from primary to secondary screening might allow for this, but I have no knowledge or information to back that up.

It might even be possible for them to breach the jettys in spots to allow water to flow through, but again I have no real clue.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 7:41 PM

$2-billion upgrade planned for Iona sewage treatment plant near YVR Airport
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/iona...-plant-upgrade

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Online Community Meetings
DATES:
Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 12:00 to 2:00 pm or
Thursday, May 21, 2020, 6:30 to 8:30 pm

Please join us at one of these online community meetings for the Project Definition Phase of the Iona Island Wastewater Treatment Plant Project.

Learn about the design concepts for the new plant and give feedback on community and park integration, and habitat enhancement and resource recovery opportunities. Each meeting will have the same presentations, with time for questions and discussion.

REGISTER TO ATTEND A MEETING
http://www.metrovancouver.org/servic...s/default.aspx

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 7:23 PM

IIWTP - May 2020 Public Engagement

Quote:
A Breakthrough Plan To Kick-start Metro Vancouver’s Economy Waits Shovel Ready For Federal Funding

Iona Island Wastewater Treatment Plant Project
To say our lives have been hectic lately would be an understatement. Not only have we been dealing with Darren’s father’s estate, but we have also decided to move forward with our plans to get married this month too. Still, we have done our best to make time for our passion, and though this event was scheduled the same time as another for a new, beautiful West End proposal, we were able to attend both since they were held online.

The later has seen plenty of discussion, but this one has flown under the radar. That might be appropriate given its location, but given the recent toilet paper shortage, I thought the replacement of the Iona Island Wastewater Plant would have draw a bit more attention. After all, this project expects to create hundreds of new construction jobs over the coming decade, lead to dozens of permanent positions, and provide enough electricity to serve 50,000 new apartments.
https://cityduo.wordpress.com/2020/0...deral-funding/

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Lisa Dominato, City Councillor

It’s official! Metro Vancouver Board has endorsed this design concept. New Iona Wastewater Treatment plant will include tertiary level treatment, resource recovery, habitat enhancements & protection.
https://twitter.com/LisaDominato/sta...581980672?s=20

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 1:17 AM

As I understand it, tertiary filtration means "build a couple of swamps and let them absorb whatever the facilities missed?"

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
As I understand it, tertiary filtration means "build a couple of swamps and let them absorb whatever the facilities missed?"
It can but the preferred design for this project is a physical filtration system within the facility.

More importantly it implies there will be a secondary treatment stage before, the existing is only primary.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2020, 2:05 AM

Quote:
I'm not an expert on this, but the slides say the tertiary method will be through "dual use disk filtration."

Dual use appears to refer to the fact that the system will need to accommodate the combined sewer system Vancouver and Burnaby still have.

The actual filtration device would operate somewhat similar to this then
Video Link

Quote:
How it works

Waste water flows by gravity from the central drum through filtration segments. The filter drum is idle at the beginning of the filtration cycle – it does not rotate. Suspended solids get caught on the inner side of the segments covered by a filter cloth. As the cloth gradually becomes clogged with suspended solids, the water flow through the cloth decreases and water level inside the drum gradually increases. Water level probe activates the rotation of the filter discs and in the same time the backwash system is turned on.

High-pressure backwash rinses impurities off to the sludge manger. The water level inside the drum decreases, the flow is again at its peak with minimum water level. The filtration cycle repeats. Filtration proceeds continually without interruption.
https://www.disc-filter.com/#:~:text...0floor%20space.

Again, this is far from something I consider myself knowledgeable on, so I might be up a creek without a paddle.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 7:39 PM

From February:

$52M dewatering plant kicks off Iona multi-billion dollar plant replacement
https://canada.constructconnect.com/...nt-replacement

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Online information session about Raincoast Conservation Foundation's Fraser Estuary North Arm Jetty Breaches Project
Thursday May 27, 2021
6:30 PM PDT - 8:00 PM PDT

You're invited to join Dave Scott, Raincoast's Lower Fraser Salmon Program Research and Restoration Coordinator, for an online information session about the upcoming North Arm Jetty Breaches Project and the importance of improved connectivity in the Fraser River Estuary. The session will include an opportunity for participants to ask questions and provide input on Raincoast's project.

Shared goals

The North Arm Jetty Breaches Project is aligned with the ecological restoration goals of the Iona Island Wastewater Treatment Plant Projects. Metro Vancouver is supporting Raincoast's project in several ways, including co-hosting this information session and sharing modelling information and data.

About the North Arm Jetty Breaches Project

Raincoast Conservation Foundation is working with Ducks Unlimited Canada and the South Coast Conservation Land Management Program to restore Fraser River Estuary tidal marsh habitat and improve access to this critical habitat for the benefit of juvenile salmon. With funding from the Environmental Damages Fund and potential funding from the BC Salmon Restoration and Innovation Fund, they plan to create up to three breaches (openings) in the Fraser Estuary North Arm Jetty, starting in fall 2021.
http://www.metrovancouver.org/events...eaches-project

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 2:36 AM

Interesting. So they're hoping that more openings = larger delta = more habitat?

Old Posted May 15, 2021, 5:15 AM

In theory, it's Fraser River water coming from the North Arm that is being diverted [around Point Grey, I think] by the jetty, so I suppose that openings in the jetty would create a more natural spread-out dispersion of the river water (to the south).

Found this report - there are 2 jetties:

http://www.metrovancouver.org/boards...Jul-16_PPT.pdf

http://www.metrovancouver.org/boards...Jul-16_PPT.pdf

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 5:14 AM
Dahvie Fan

They want to make freshwater wetlands in the same spot that effluent tailings ponds have existed for decades??

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 6:25 AM
SkyTrain Nut

They certainly will not be starved for nutrients.

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 7:01 AM

More bluntly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
They want to make freshwater wetlands in the same spot that effluent tailings ponds have existed for decades??
That's exactly what wetlands are - nature's waste treatment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
In theory, it's Fraser River water coming from the North Arm that is being diverted [around Point Grey, I think] by the jetty, so I suppose that openings in the jetty would create a more natural spread-out dispersion of the river water (to the south).

Found this report - there are 2 jetties:
Thanks for the find. Looks like now's a real good time to be alive, if you're a heron.

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 7:03 PM
Dahvie Fan

Quote:
More bluntly:

That's exactly what wetlands are - nature's waste treatment.

Thanks for the find. Looks like now's a real good time to be alive, if you're a heron.
A sewage treatment plant tailings pond is basically a superfund sight. It’s going to be a massive undertaking to remediate the contaminated soil in the area that has elevated levels of god knows how many chemicals and carcinogens

Old Posted May 16, 2021, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libtard View Post
A sewage treatment plant tailings pond is basically a superfund sight. It’s going to be a massive undertaking to remediate the contaminated soil in the area that has elevated levels of god knows how many chemicals and carcinogens
And one of the best ways to remediate said heavy contamination is by adding an ecosystem full of things that see it as a food source. We're not adding toxic waste to a swamp, we're adding a swamp to toxic waste.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure