HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 1:36 AM

Lights Out for the Hollywood Theatre?

This would be a real loss for Vancouver. Not only is the Hollywood an art deco gem, but it helps anchor its section of West Broadway. Even more disturbing is that hot on the heels of the Van East closing, our other single screen movie theatres are in jeopardy as well:

http://www.vancouversun.com/Hollywoo...531/story.html

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 7:45 PM

That's pretty sad news, I love that theatre. I was also sad to find Van East closed months back. The place was in need of renovation and the building is obviously not a heritage building like the Hollywood, but it was a nice place to see a movie without going to a multi-plex. Maybe more theatres need to do what the Rio has done and make it more than just a movie theatre. Perhaps there's something to be learned from what they've done...?

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 4:58 PM

Its the last night for the Hollywood Theatre tonight. If you've never seen a movie there its your last chance. I'm glad to see it go - who needs an art deco movie theatre when you can have a four story condo cloaked in some indeterminate beige shade of brick cladding, with little box balconies. That's what this city really needs more of.

Old Posted May 29, 2011, 6:11 PM
BANNED

it's sad, but a condition of changing times I'm afraid. Look at the number of theatres that languished and fell into disrepair 60 or so years ago. the north of England was littered with them, many boarded up. Some limped on, others become nightclubs and snooker halls...others were sadly torn down.

I hope the building is saved and re-purposed

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment