HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Would you like to separate this thread for individual station projects?
Yes 19 31.15%
No 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIPS View Post
All the downtown stations in some form used to have small convenience stores in them if I recall. Can anyone tell if they closed because of lack of business or the leases were not renewed?
I think the consensus at the time was essentially that the convenience stores didn't perform well because they were all located within the fare paid zone.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 8:35 AM

A lot of them were also magazine and newspaper stands - the market for which has died.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
A lot of them were also magazine and newspaper stands - the market for which has died.
I've always assumed that "magazine stands" sell a lot more snack food than actual magazines...

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
I think the consensus at the time was essentially that the convenience stores didn't perform well because they were all located within the fare paid zone.
*Facepalm* to the planners who decided to put these shops within the fare-paid zone in the first place. Talk about shortsightedness.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
But that doesn't appear to hinder the King Ed Station store, and that one's got even less traffic.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 1:42 AM

They've done a fantastic job of the Nanaimo station upgrade. Looks sleek and the landscaping/raised seating actually looks inviting.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
But that doesn't appear to hinder the King Ed Station store, and that one's got even less traffic.
The INS Market in Yaletown lasted less than a year (not sure what's in there currently). I think they were newspaper/magazine stands in name only.. never been in one but I also assume it was more food, drinks and maybe lottery tickets. The province also banned the sale of tobacco on their property so that's a huge dent in their sales.

They were selling the franchises in Yaletown and King Ed for $100K each

Last edited by jollyburger; Jul 3, 2020 at 3:24 AM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 4:35 AM

Obviously, you want retail units outside the farepaid zone but they can work inside if they are in a highly visible and high traffic area. The Jugo Juice in broadway city hall stn seems to be doing fine.

Ultimately, the problem with our system is that vast majority of the stations have too small of a concourse area to even have retail space. And the few that is big enough aren't having their space utilized efficiently. For example, they could fit a few kiosk style units in Van City Centre Stn. And that area is perfect for retail as you have foot traffic coming from 4 directions: ground level, platform level, pacific centre, and london drugs

MTR does retail space inside stations pretty well and they should really look at them as an example.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 7:22 AM

Let's hope there's enough budget and planning for the Broadway Line, then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeredheads View Post
Ultimately, the problem with our system is that vast majority of the stations have too small of a concourse area to even have retail space. And the few that is big enough aren't having their space utilized efficiently. For example, they could fit a few kiosk style units in Van City Centre Stn. And that area is perfect for retail as you have foot traffic coming from 4 directions: ground level, platform level, pacific centre, and london drugs
So, another thing to be pissed at Derek Corrigan for? Or just TransLink?

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeredheads View Post
Obviously, you want retail units outside the farepaid zone but they can work inside if they are in a highly visible and high traffic area. The Jugo Juice in broadway city hall stn seems to be doing fine.
Sorry for intruding. How many Skytrain stations have retail spaces? And how much variety does the system have? From what I've seen, Vancouver does an excellent job in integrating retail in stations (and entire buildings in or around stations, for that matter).

Ottawa will be getting four retail spaces as part of Stage 1 Confederation. All of them will be occupied by local coffee chain Happy Goat. Three will be within fare-paid-zones, at our main bus-rail transfers (Tunney's, Hurdman and Blair), while one will be outside the fare-paid-zone (Rideau), though basically no one who is not taking the train will be passing by it (as it is deep underground, with no building connections at that level).

Our retail will be more like small kiosks, so they won't be taking a whole lot of space. Here's an example of what it might look like:

https://twitter.com/OC_Transpo/statu...31647311843330

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Our retail will be more like small kiosks, so they won't be taking a whole lot of space. Here's an example of what it might look like:

Idk who made that artistic impression, but it looks like it took less than an hour in photoshop.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
Idk who made that artistic impression, but it looks like it took less than an hour in photoshop.
They were all pretty terrible, but they get the point across. It gives a good idea of how these spaces will fit within the space.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 3:48 AM

The other problem with retail at stations is that our system is designed for running from or to a bus at the station.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Sorry for intruding. How many Skytrain stations have retail spaces? And how much variety does the system have? From what I've seen, Vancouver does an excellent job in integrating retail in stations (and entire buildings in or around stations, for that matter).

Ottawa will be getting four retail spaces as part of Stage 1 Confederation. All of them will be occupied by local coffee chain Happy Goat. Three will be within fare-paid-zones, at our main bus-rail transfers (Tunney's, Hurdman and Blair), while one will be outside the fare-paid-zone (Rideau), though basically no one who is not taking the train will be passing by it (as it is deep underground, with no building connections at that level).

I don't have real numbers but for the Expo line (the busiest) most stations have some sort of retail. At the individual station level it is not very diverse but over the whole line it actually is. The other lines have some retail as well but not as much (less than 50%?). There are also a couple of large diverse private retail complexes integrated with stations at New West station and Marine Gateway.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
I don't have real numbers but for the Expo line (the busiest) most stations have some sort of retail. At the individual station level it is not very diverse but over the whole line it actually is. The other lines have some retail as well but not as much (less than 50%?). There are also a couple of large diverse private retail complexes integrated with stations at New West station and Marine Gateway.
its a shame that they didn't build something connected with the Main Street station on the Expo Line. instead they completely ignored it and built around it... they had a good plan at one point to integrate everything. but for whatever reason it didn't come to fruition.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 6:40 PM

Granville escalator replacement is complete:

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 6:16 AM

I did something today I haven't done in years (?). I entered Granville Station from Seymour Street.

I wonder how long it will be for the panhandlers to discover this restored pedestrian traffic point. Before it closed it seemed that there was almost a permanent squalid encampment in front of those red railings.

July 17 '20, my pics

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
I did something today I haven't done in years (?). I entered Granville Station from Seymour Street.

I wonder how long it will be for the panhandlers to discover this restored pedestrian traffic point. Before it closed it seemed that there was almost a permanent squalid encampment in front of those red railings.

They've moved to the library

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
They've moved to the library
Nah, Central's always been a homeless camp. I think it's because of the chairs and the internet cafe.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 3:38 PM

Some have moved into the colonnade on Homer, which personally, I think is a better place than on private property at the 819 / 7-Eleven or at The Centre (although some are still at The Centre).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure