HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 3:36 AM

They ordered another LNG Salish class vessel:

Quote:
The new ferry is expected to enter service in 2022, and the total project estimated to cost $92.3 million.
https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/b...ship-1.4792463

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
They ordered another LNG Salish class vessel:

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/b...ship-1.4792463
Great news.

I notice that the larger LNG ships are actually dual LNG/Diesel. Any word on whether Salish class are the same? Do we know when they are running on LNG vs Diesel?

I'd be curious on the cost savings of each too.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 8:54 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Great news.

I notice that the larger LNG ships are actually dual LNG/Diesel. Any word on whether Salish class are the same? Do we know when they are running on LNG vs Diesel?

I'd be curious on the cost savings of each too.
The switch is also GHG emissions-driven, which in itself will result in cost-savings for BC Ferries as they avoid current and future emissions pricing.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
The switch is also GHG emissions-driven, which in itself will result in cost-savings for BC Ferries as they avoid current and future emissions pricing.
Of course, and I'd support the switch to LNG and Electric-drive even if there was a cost premium. I'm just curious on the financial details too.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 9:50 PM

There's also the low sulfur rules for bunker fuel (if that's what the old ferries use):

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-i...-idUSKCN1TB2CJ

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
There's also the low sulfur rules for bunker fuel (if that's what the old ferries use):

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-i...-idUSKCN1TB2CJ
Since 2007

Quote:
‘We don’t use any intermediate or heavy bunker fuels in our fleet. We have only ever used the cleanest light fuels available,’ explains Collins. ‘Today on the British Columbia coast we use only ultra low sulphur marine diesel, which is far below the most stringent IMO sulphur requirements.’

The ferry company’s diesel supplier is Parkland Fuel, which bought Chevron Canada’s downstream fuel business in British Columbia and Alberta in October 2017. As part of the deal, Parkland Fuel bought Chevron’s Burnaby refinery and was confirmed as the region’s exclusive distributor of Chevron-branded products.

‘We go out to tender with requests for proposals every four to five years to get the best price we can,’ Collins comments. ‘We also engage in hedging activities to help mitigate the price fluctuations.’
https://www.bunkerspot.com/features-...em/multi-saver

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 4:46 AM

BC Ferries' first hybrid-electric battery ships entering regular service
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/bc-f...-ships-service

One of BC Ferries' first Island Class hybrid-electric vessels. (BC Ferries)

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
BC Ferries' first hybrid-electric battery ships entering regular service
This is great, but I can't believe the project/procurement didn't include charging infrastructure right off the bat.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 12:16 AM

Quote:
This is great, but I can't believe the project/procurement didn't include charging infrastructure right off the bat.
Well, there's no guarantee that these ferries will actually work as intended, and investing millions in a lot of infrastructure for cross harbour ferries is a bit much for a pilot project. If everything goes well with these ferries, I'm sure you'll see that infrastructure rolled out.

On another note, this article is full of issues in basic research. Fort McNeill? Sointula Island? These are some interesting new place names.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
On another note, this article is full of issues in basic research. Fort McNeill? Sointula Island? These are some interesting new place names.
Hey, those are both right next to Port Malcolm...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Well, there's no guarantee that these ferries will actually work as intended, and investing millions in a lot of infrastructure for cross harbour ferries is a bit much for a pilot project. If everything goes well with these ferries, I'm sure you'll see that infrastructure rolled out.

What do you mean as intended? Like there is a problem with the electrical propulsion?

Seems to me we are shortchanging ourselves by not using these up to their full cleaner and cheaper capabilities.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 6:14 PM

Quote:
What do you mean as intended? Like there is a problem with the electrical propulsion?

Seems to me we are shortchanging ourselves by not using these up to their full cleaner and cheaper capabilities.
Yes, perhaps these ferries have mechanical or electrical issues, or it's shown they're too expensive to run, or any myriad of issues a new vessel can have. I'm not against these ferries and I hope they're successful, but I can see BC Ferries wanting to take things slowly with new technologies.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 6:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Yes, perhaps these ferries have mechanical or electrical issues, or it's shown they're too expensive to run, or any myriad of issues a new vessel can have. I'm not against these ferries and I hope they're successful, but I can see BC Ferries wanting to take things slowly with new technologies.
From what I can glean based on news reports over the past half-year or so, the issue is not with the ferries, but instead with the shore-based charging infrastructure. Some of the issues mentioned include getting sufficient electricity to the terminals (which may require new or upgraded BC Hydro infrastructure) and finding a way to safely operate high-capacity electrical charging gear in salt-water terminals.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
From what I can glean based on news reports over the past half-year or so, the issue is not with the ferries, but instead with the shore-based charging infrastructure. Some of the issues mentioned include getting sufficient electricity to the terminals (which may require new or upgraded BC Hydro infrastructure) and finding a way to safely operate high-capacity electrical charging gear in salt-water terminals.
Yes, that was my understanding as well. But we had years of this procurement project to ask BC Hydro to "figure it out". This also isn't unique around the world, so no need to re-invent any wheels.

With respect to the capability of the new ships themselves, that's on the manufacturer IMO. We shouldn't be beta testing anything with a "sorry" if it doesn't work.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
The Port of Vancouver seems to have figured out shore power and I'd be very surprised if Powell River didn't have the power infrastructure for a project like this.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
The Port of Vancouver seems to have figured out shore power and I'd be very surprised if Powell River didn't have the power infrastructure for a project like this.
Perhaps true for Powell River, but possibly not for Port McNeill. And there's a question of whether you'd need shore power at both ends or if the battery capacity and charging speed were both sufficient for single-ended charging.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 4:02 AM

These are the ones mentioned on the previous page of this thread.

Four additional BC Ferries hybrid electric-battery ships to enter service in 2022
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/bc-f...s-vessels-2022

BC Ferries’ new Island Class vessels under construction at Damen Shipyard in Romania. (BC Ferries)

BC Ferries’ third Island Class vessel launches at Damen Shipyard in Romania on October 28, 2020. (BC Ferries)

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 5:48 AM

Wow, didn’t realize they still launch some ships that way. I thought they were all floated out.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 6:10 AM

Sideways, stern-first, launching is pretty much the only way to get a new ship off a slipway. Flooding is for drydocks.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 10:28 PM

BC Ferries' new LNG-fuelled Salish Class vessel enters water

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/bc-f...-december-2020

December 2020 construction progress of BC Ferries' fourth Salish Class vessel in Poland. (BC Ferries)
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/bc-f...-december-2020

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure