HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 4:37 AM
Vancouver Moderator

That was my understanding as well

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 5:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interrobang View Post
I was at a virtual talk that Translink gave last week on the project.
The one by BCCR? I tuned in to that webinar too.

As I understand this project is being managed by Translink directly, as opposed to the Broadway extension which is managed by the Provincial government. I did not know that before.

Old Posted May 8, 2020, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolworm View Post
The one by BCCR? I tuned in to that webinar too.

As I understand this project is being managed by Translink directly, as opposed to the Broadway extension which is managed by the Provincial government. I did not know that before.
Yup, that's the one. That was news to me as well

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 6:02 AM

Quote:
Opinion: BC government's economic stimulus must include new infrastructure spending...

BC finance minister Carole James has stated that BC will not be pursuing any additional public transit, highway, or bridge projects with this economic stimulus...

Another project that is prime for stimulus funding is the second phase of the Expo Line SkyTrain extension along Fraser Highway...
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/bc-e...e-restart-plan

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Thanks for the find Metro-One.

It would be hilarious if the Expo line extension to Langley got the additional funding before the extension to UBC. But whatever, I would be happy with some form of Skytrain being funded.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 9:38 PM

Maybe, maybe not.

Quote:
Surrey Langley SkyTrain project stalls due to COVID-19 pandemic

(link)

Just like almost everything, the COVID-19 pandemic has affected planning for Surrey Langley SkyTrain project.

A report to the Mayors’ Council on Regional Transportation notes that there are “several outstanding issues that must be addressed for the SLS project to advance”.

The report was prepared by Geoff Cross, vice president TransLink for transportation planning and policy, and is included in the council’s agenda Thursday (May 28).

In his report, Cross noted that before the pandemic, the Surrey-Langley SkyTrain project was the “primary impetus” for an update to the regional transporation’s investment plan.

The updated plan was “targeted for approval in July 2020”.

“However, following the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic in March 2020 it was decided that delivering a Phase Two Investment Plan update in July was no longer feasible due to uncertainties in projecting future revenues,” according to Cross.

Cross noted that the business case for the project is already with senior levels of government, and “scope could readily scale with additional funding”.

“However, it is fiscally prudent to wait until the nature and magnitude of emergency relief and stimulus programs is more certain,” Cross wrote.
Just this one time, the NDP might want to reconsider its recovery policy.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 9:49 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
“However, it is fiscally prudent to wait until the nature and magnitude of emergency relief and stimulus programs is more certain,” Cross wrote.
I sort of agree with it, but c’mon, don’t troll us this time...

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 4:49 AM

Surrey agrees to pay $39 million in land, cash for transit switch to SkyTrain

Quote:
The Mayors’ Council has approved a deal requiring Surrey to pay $39 million in compensation to TransLink after the city cancelled a planned light-rail line in favour of a SkyTrain line to Langley.

The compensation will include $11.4 million worth of city-owned property needed for the SkyTrain extension project, $5.5 million worth of city land set aside for future roads, 300 park-and-ride spaces worth $12.8 million, and $9.3 million in cash from the city’s coffers.

The council released some details of the compensation agreement following a private meeting Friday.

Surrey could be on the hook for another $5.4 million but that depends on whether there is a decision to implement rapid transit along King George Boulevard by the end of 2021, and what kind of rapid transit is used.

The Surrey-Newton-Guildford light-rail project, which would have seen 27 kilometres of at-grade rail line built on three major corridors in Surrey, was suspended indefinitely in November 2018.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 1:33 PM

And Surrey makes its first bold move towards Skytrain .

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 1:55 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

It's just like how U.B.C. expressed intention to chip in for their extension too.
It means they really want it.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
It's just like how U.B.C. expressed intention to chip in for their extension too.
It means they really want it.
No I think this is just Surrey paying translink for the sunk costs of dead end LRT design work, which they promised they would do when they asking for the switch to Skytrain on Fraser Highway instead of LRT on King George - 104 avenue.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 4:04 PM

Yeah, just follow through...

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 4:06 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Ah I see. Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 10:54 PM

Some info my strata was mailed.

https://imgur.com/a/1FhN0Kj

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlove390 View Post
Some info my strata was mailed.

https://imgur.com/a/1FhN0Kj
i think TransLink would be on the hook for those costs. so they must be doing some work

Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 4:54 PM

Premier Horgan says announcement on Surrey-Langley SkyTrain expected soon

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/surr...september-2020

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlove390 View Post
Premier Horgan says announcement on Surrey-Langley SkyTrain expected soon

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/surr...september-2020
Looks like we could see both extensions of the SkyTrain open around the same time. I believe earlier articles about the expo line extension were mentioning a potential late 2025 completion?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 2:02 AM

Getting both extensions going would be the only good thing about COVID. I hope both and George Massey Tunnel all start construction this year.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Getting both extensions going would be the only good thing about COVID. I hope both and George Massey Tunnel all start construction this year.
Pattullo bridge too hopefully.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 5:24 AM

Quote:
SkyTrain project includes four-lane widening of Fraser Highway in Green Timbers
Kenneth Chan
Sep 14 2020, 8:38 pm

Fraser Highway through Green Timbers Urban Forest will be widened to accommodate both a larger roadway and the elevated guideway of SkyTrain’s future Expo Line extension towards Langley.

The City of Surrey states it has worked with TransLink on an optimized design to widen the arterial roadway from the existing two-lane width to a new four-lane standard between 140 Street and 148 Street.

Between 140 Street and 96 Avenue, the segment of SkyTrain’s elevated guideway — two main tracks, and a side track for train storage in the middle of the block — will run on a centre median and above the eastbound travel lanes.

For the segment between 96 Avenue and 148 Street, the elevated guideway with two main tracks will operate on a centre median.

The roadway widening and elevated guideway will require a width of 22.5 metres through Green Timbers (a length of roughly 1.5 kms), except at intersections where a slightly greater width may be required. The trees that will need to be removed are within the existing road allowance.
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/surr...ghway-widening

Eastbound view: Optimized SkyTrain design with four-lane Fraser Highway (mid block) between 140 Street and 96 Avenue through Green Timbers Urban Forest. (City of Surrey)

Eastbound view: Optimized SkyTrain design with four-lane Fraser Highway at the intersection with 96 Avenue in Green Timbers Urban Forest. (City of Surrey)

Eastbound view: Optimized SkyTrain design with four-lane Fraser Highway between 144 Street to 148 Street through Green Timbers Urban Forest. (City of Surrey)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure