HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
I don't recall seeing the soldier piles/lagging being removed when MTS Center was being built.

As the bases are cemented in I think the whole assembly is left in place, or at least cut back a few feet below finished grade and then filled and packed accordingly.
I was wondering if that's what happens. Seems odd to leave timber in place like that. But i guess since it won't be exposed to the air, it shouldn't rot like it would sitting at the surface.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2016, 10:06 PM

Further to this hotel thing, I didn't realize that Sutton Place and Sandman were both part of the same corporate family. I guess just averting Sandman Signature as the new TNS hotel was a small victory in and of itself...

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 5:39 PM

I saw the signage on the hoarding for the first time today... I like the logo and graphics they're using for TNS. I'm glad that Longboat picked that as the project's identity as opposed to SoPo Square... I don't think I could have ever gotten used to that.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 5:41 PM

Big press conference scheduled for tomorrow still on? Haven't heard anything.

Website would go live tomorrow I assume.
www.truenorthsquare.com

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Further to this hotel thing, I didn't realize that Sutton Place and Sandman were both part of the same corporate family. I guess just averting Sandman Signature as the new TNS hotel was a small victory in and of itself...
Ya, interesting. Winnipeg needs a truly 5 star boutique hotel downtown. It would do well, no question. Something like an Opus would do well. Even Saskatoon has a nice hotel, The James. Winnipeg doesn't have one.

I love Winnipeg and I feel many undervalue its potential like having really great amenities like Whole Foods, a 5 Star hotel and even high end retail like Holt Renfrew or Nordstrom. Peggers deserve better.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocket View Post
Ya, interesting. Winnipeg needs a truly 5 star boutique hotel downtown. It would do well, no question. Something like an Opus would do well. Even Saskatoon has a nice hotel, The James. Winnipeg doesn't have one.
Is the James really any different from nice local hotels like Mere, Inn at the Forks, the Fairmont and soon, Sutton Place? It doesn't appear that way.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 6:10 PM
BANNED

The Fort Garry could be absolutely stunning if it were renovated. It could become Winnipeg's Monaco Pittsburgh, a beautiful hotel combining chic elegance with historic charm.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 7:08 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
The Fort Garry could be absolutely stunning if it were renovated. It could become Winnipeg's Monaco Pittsburgh, a beautiful hotel combining chic elegance with historic charm.
Isn't it pretty close to that already?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
The owners of the Fort Garry deserve credit for saving the place, but it's pretty clear that the place is run on a shoestring. It looks great at first glance, but the worn out carpeting and furniture, non-renovated rooms, dings all over the walls and broken things here and there make it look a bit shabby. It isn't terrible, but anyone expecting a regal Plaza Hotel type experience will quickly notice those shortcomings.

That being said, at the room rates that Winnipeg generates I'm not sure that there's enough money in that hotel to justify a top-notch overhaul.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 7:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Far from it.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 7:26 PM
Aspiring.

The Fort Garry's lobby and the Palm Room (is it still called that?) are the highlights for me. And the elevators.
But in that way it's not too different from the Royal York in T.O. I stayed there a couple of years ago thinking that is was really going to be the fa-shizzy but beyond the lobby it was totally underwhelming. The cold water tap wouldn't shut off for crying out loud. And while I wasn't staying in a deluxe suite, it still wasn't cheap. I would never go back. The Omni King Edward is much more to my taste and expectation.
These grand old ladies of the golden age of rail travel are tricky mistresses.

But I guess we're veering off topic, sorry Cyro.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 7:35 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Far from it.
Dunno. I have stayed there several times and loved it. I am pretty easy to please I guess.

But the public areas (lobby, palm room, restaurant, large function rooms) show well, and it also boasts the premiere spa in the city. Even how it shows from Broadway is great.

It's not like it's some dive.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 8:25 PM
BANNED

A dive, no; but quite outdated despite the odd piece seemingly purchased from Homesense.

I am being picky, but I want to tear off that wallpaper behind the front desk. I happen to love wallpaper, but not 1980s remnants. Gotta love that 1980s phone on the nightstand too.

http://www.fortgarryhotel.com/winnipeg-hotel-photos

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:

But the public areas (lobby, palm room, restaurant, large function rooms) show well, and it also boasts the premiere spa in the city. Even how it shows from Broadway is great.
Haven't stayed in a suite myself but attended countless functions. Always first class and the public areas in my experience, were top notch.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 11:36 PM
BANNED

Hopefully this development will see the former Hull's building redeveloped before too long.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Hopefully this development will see the former Hull's building redeveloped before too long.
Right now it appears to be the PCL construction office so it won't be available until after the project is complete.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 12:40 AM
BANNED

I would like to think it would be prime based on the TNS cluster.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 1:34 AM

T N S NEWS ALERT! Well known Winnipeg law firm to be anchor tenant at True North Square. Thompson Dorfman Sweatman to be lead tenant in office tower, moving from Portage & Main.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I saw the signage on the hoarding for the first time today... I like the logo and graphics they're using for TNS. I'm glad that Longboat picked that as the project's identity as opposed to SoPo Square... I don't think I could have ever gotten used to that.
Following Toronto's formula again...

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment; True North Sports and Entertainment.

Maple Leaf Square; True North Square.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 3:40 AM
BANNED

It would be preferable if companies from outside the province were occupying space in TNS, as opposed to existing companies playing musical chairs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan