HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Speaking of, can someone give me a short answer for how an when Austin will be able to build tall pretty much anywhere?

Seems we are well positioned to do this currently in Domain, S. Waterfront, and East Austin?
Not sure I would say East Austin, TBH. There are very specific places where we can build tall(ish), but they are few and far between, compared to the vast amount of SFH action east of 35. But: I do think that, like the Borden Dairy project, that in spots we'll see industrial acreage go away in favor of PUDs with slightly less onerous height restrictions.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 3:09 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

The St. Elmo District should be a perfect candidate for much taller highrises. There is a lot of potential. We're in the early stages so will be interesting to see what else comes into the pipeline over the next 5 years.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 3:38 PM

All along Hwy 71 from IH 35 to Lamar/360 area would be a good area for more height. As far as anything tall, any further West or East of that you run into too many barriers. I could see mid rises (a couple of stories) in a lot more areas.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 4:21 PM
World Traveler

Beyond what's been mentioned, I think another good candidate is 183 and 45. There is increasing density in that area, albeit suburban in nature, but that could change if given the opportunity. I think of the Legacy area of Plano/Frisco as an example (DNT & 121). Honestly, the area around Mopac, 45, and 35 should/could also see a lot of increased density and height over the years (Austin/Round Rock).

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 5:28 PM

All good points. There's a lot of opportunity along our highways to go tall, and I'll bet that's where we start to flex on our zoning, since it'll alienate comparatively fewer voters.

Edit: @Drummer you and I think a lot alike -- I'm waiting for the burbs to start building up, too. So far they're all stubbornly midrises at most.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 5:54 PM

Parmer is also another great corridor ripe for crazy development. I am biased because I live there, but there are food deserts and the old Fry's sea of parking could be a major mixed-use project. We need a thread for those spots lol.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 6:18 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
All good points. There's a lot of opportunity along our highways to go tall, and I'll bet that's where we start to flex on our zoning, since it'll alienate comparatively fewer voters.

Edit: @Drummer you and I think a lot alike -- I'm waiting for the burbs to start building up, too. So far they're all stubbornly midrises at most.
Especially if they focus on nodes like major freeway intersections and other important thoroughfares. It makes regional sense and could benefit everyone in a variety of ways, especially if they may these areas truly mixed-use. It also works with TOD, if we ever get more efficient regional mass-transit (but of course that dead horse has been beaten enough so I'll leave it there).

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 6:20 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Parmer is also another great corridor ripe for crazy development. I am biased because I live there, but there are food deserts and the old Fry's sea of parking could be a major mixed-use project. We need a thread for those spots lol.
For sure. Old dead or nearly-dead shopping areas are prime spots for potential redevelopment. This is a trend I hope to see more often, and we have several positive examples over the past 10-15 years that hopefully will give more people a reason to do it.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2023, 6:36 PM

In a similar thought, if we somehow get rid of compatibility, what would be the most likely outcome from that?

What areas would there be to see a bump in density moving forward, and would neighborhoods still be able to maintain majority sfh or could it be the break we need to plus those areas with duplexes and such?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 1:07 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I think Ben White & 35 could handle some tall buildings. The south corners are the ones I'm looking at. NE has the IRS and NW has a cemetery and Walmart, so those are untouchable for the most part. Lots of spots south of Ben White that could be built on. I'm specifically looking at the area bounded by Ben White & Industrial and Terry-O & Santiago.

And it's not like anyone could complain about height. The tall flyover is already there.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 1:02 PM

What push would need to happen to allow these types of parking lot "lakes" to house a high-rise?

It would be amazing if CC had some sort of zoning change where if a developer has x amount of affordable housing / retail taking over an old suburban shopping center, they can build tall.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I think Ben White & 35 could handle some tall buildings. The south corners are the ones I'm looking at. NE has the IRS and NW has a cemetery and Walmart, so those are untouchable for the most part. Lots of spots south of Ben White that could be built on. I'm specifically looking at the area bounded by Ben White & Industrial and Terry-O & Santiago.

And it's not like anyone could complain about height. The tall flyover is already there.
Fun fact: The “Initech building” from ‘Office Space’ is located in the business park on the SEish corner.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 2:18 PM
World Traveler

^^ Two points:

1. I always thought it was somewhere on Burnet Rd. or nearby for some reason. Awesome bit of trivia.

2. Well, there goes any chance of redeveloping that plot now that we have a building of historic value.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2023, 8:59 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
Fun fact: The “Initech building” from ‘Office Space’ is located in the business park on the SEish corner.

Yep. Some stuff is even marked on the google map. The ditch for sure is marked.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 2:52 PM

City council considering leasing Salvation Army facility downtown for a year to bridge service gap. Looks like they will still pursue a sale during the lease period.

https://www.statesman.com/story/news...n/70296695007/

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 4:08 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
^^ Two points:

1. I always thought it was somewhere on Burnet Rd. or nearby for some reason. Awesome bit of trivia.

2. Well, there goes any chance of redeveloping that plot now that we have a building of historic value.
I had assumed that as well with the opening and famous traffic scene filmed on Braker in front of the IBM complex/future domain. Plus there are numerous business parks similar to that one off Ben White in the Braker/Burnet/Metric area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrHjWRm-eXA

(The scene begins with a wide shot of the LBJ freeway in Dallas)

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 7:09 PM

Hilarious scene to start a movie. I was working at IBM during the filming of that scene and watched some of it from Bldg 045. I didn't know they were working on Office Space at the time.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 2:01 AM

Apparently the smashing of the copy machine scene happened at what is now The Domain. Also, is Mike Judge from Austin? King of the Hill is also obviously set in some Austin suburb yet they live on Rainey St.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 2:01 AM

Double post

Last edited by IluvATX; Jun 9, 2023 at 2:02 AM. Reason: Double post

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 1:37 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
Apparently the smashing of the copy machine scene happened at what is now The Domain. Also, is Mike Judge from Austin? King of the Hill is also obviously set in some Austin suburb yet they live on Rainey St.
I always assumed King of the Hill was based in a fictional DFW suburb.

Edit: Just found this:

Quote:
Set in the fictional town of Arlen, which sure sounds like an amalgam of North Texas communities Arlington and Garland, show creator Mike Judge confirmed in 2009 that the setting was inspired by the Dallas suburb Richardson, where he once lived.
https://www.wfaa.com/article/enterta...0once%20lived.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin