HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

King's Wharf Lot I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 8, 2009, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
Fantastic shots, Halifaxgus! Especially the ones of the CCG ship on fire.
Thanks! I got lucky - Metro News bought one of my fire pictures.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2009, 11:21 PM

Don't know if it's anything, but I did see a few excavators on site yesterday working.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 10:23 PM

Nothing new to report for this development. Here's a picture I snapped today;

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 12:01 PM

The 30 storey tower was suppose to start sales this month.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
The 30 storey tower was suppose to start sales this month.
I thought they were still required to get that approved?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
I thought they were still required to get that approved?
That's true. I'll email them to see whats going on.

Here's what was said in their Christmas Newsletter.

Looking forward to '09

In the coming year, look for the following key milestones in the King's Wharf development.

Architectural detailing - final architectural and site plan details to be finalized for Phase 1 of the project.

Community Council approvals - we look forward to working with the Community Council to review the Phase 1 plans.

Phase 1 to market - by March we are hoping to have the first 30 storey condominium building ready for marketing to potential residents.

site improvements - expect activity at the site to continue with nevessary clean up and infrastructure improvements.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 3:32 PM

^ I thought the 30 storey tower was supposed to be office was it not?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
^ I thought the 30 storey tower was supposed to be office was it not?
Negative, condo's

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 12:07 AM
we built this city

I wonder why they haven't torn down the buildings yet.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 1:39 AM

I emailed them asking about the 30 storey condo. They said that it has yet to go before Harbour East community council, but are hoping it should happen soon. They didn't have a date however, but told me they would inform me when the date is set.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 2:23 AM

‘Seeing is believing’ print this article
King’s Wharf developer says project moving slower than expected, but will happen

Halifax News Net

By Joanie Veitch – The Weekly News
Until the big construction trucks and backhoes drive onto the old Dartmouth Marine Slips site, speculation about the $300-million King’s Wharf development will likely carry on.
“We know people have been wondering. There’s no question with the way the economy is right now it’s more challenging, but it is going ahead; there is no question about that,” said Sherry Spicer, vice-president of operations with developer Fares Real Estate.
The development process has been slower than anyone at Fares Real Estate anticipated when the project was first announced in 2005, Spicer added. “HRM has really been quite supportive, but because of where it is and the uniqueness of the buildings, it’s taken much longer than we expected.”
Downtown Dartmouth Business Commission executive director Tim Olive says people are anxiously awaiting action on the site.
“It’s that old saying ‘seeing is believing,’” said Olive. “We know it’s going to happen but until we see it, well … lets just say we’re looking forward to seeing the heavy construction equipment there.”
The city’s development process has two stages. Stage 1, which involved a preliminary site design of the 12-hectare plan, was passed by council last summer. Stage 2, which according to the HRM website involves the delineation of roads, lots, parks and other physical design features of the development, is the next step.
Because the King’s Wharf project is so large, Spicer said Fares Real Estate will be divvying it up into separate phases, each to go before Harbour East Community Council in its turn.
“We’re hoping the first of these will be going before (community) council by the end of April or early May.”
Phase 1 involves a 30-storey condominium tower and significant “in-filling” in the harbour.
Olive said the addition of as many as 2,500 new residents in the tower will act as a major catalyst for Dartmouth’s economy.
“It’s not just going to be good for us in downtown Dartmouth, it will provide a big boost to the whole area. This project will put in excess of $500 million into HRM. That’s huge.”
New architectural and site plan drawings for the project were to be unveiled at an open house, What’s Happening on the Dartmouth Waterfront, hosted by the Waterfront Development Corporation Ltd., on Thursday, March 26, at Alderney Landing.
joanie.veitch@gmail.com

I didn't have time to make it to the open house. Did anyone get there to see these new plans?
Also I have noticed a boom out in the water surrounding part of the tip of the site that I don't believe was there before.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 6:48 PM
we built this city

Will the tower be the new tallest? Fenwick is what, 28 stories?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Will the tower be the new tallest? Fenwick is what, 28 stories?
Actually Fenwick is 33 stories (98m).

So if it turns out to be in the triple digits then it will be the tallest in Halifax (and Atlantic Canada for the matter).

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 11:10 PM
we built this city

Well, lets hope so. Nothing has been officially approved yet, aside from infrastructure.

I just want them to tear down the buildings on the site in the short term.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2009, 5:08 PM

This development was brought up in a Halifax Magazine article this month.

Accoridng to the WDCL (not associated with the project) work is slated to begin this Spring sometime.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 10:23 PM

This would be so awesome. It would be funny if Dartmouth had the tallest building in the maritimes. What with Halifax being right across the harbour and all..

Old Posted Apr 7, 2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City_of_Lakes View Post
This would be so awesome. It would be funny if Dartmouth had the tallest building in the maritimes. What with Halifax being right across the harbour and all..
I think it's kind of sad reflection on the development situation in Halifax, myself. Anyone trying to do anything big or bold (for the region, anyway) need not waste time trying to develop in downtown Halifax.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 1:07 PM

I think work has finally started! I've seen the odd truck moving in and out of the site. The large pile of fill at the end of the site seems to have gotten bigger. There is a small excavator on site. And there is a large hole in the top of one of the old warehouses!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 7:17 PM

I was speaking with Sherry Spencer again today and got a bit of new news. They have indeed started the infilling. As the site was full of people today. But because of the banks and the credit crunch they have decided to alter the order in which the buildings will be constructed. She said in todays market they would need to pre sell 70% of the 30 storey tower before they could start construction. So instead phase 1 has been changed to the four 10 storey buildings on the back of the site facing the canal. They are going to start marketing very soon and the plan is to have shovels in the ground in the fall. The four buildings will be a mixture of uses. The first is a luxury apartment building. The next is an office and condo mixture as is the third and the fourth will be entirely office. They will all have at grade retail space as well.

Sounds like great news to me! This thing is finally gonna happen! I'm interested in seeing the final designs for these four buildings. I'm thinking we should see something within a month or two.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2009, 7:24 PM

^That is good news

Probably a smart idea to develop the smaller buildings first. Even if they don't sell all of the units they can construct some first without worrying about the leftover space.

Even four 10 storey buildings would do wonders for Downtown Dartmouth.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth