HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 18, 2014, 11:35 PM
Chicago 21st Century

Is it stretched at all? Or was the previous rendering just squished? Compare the surrounding buildings. Which is more accurate?

I don't like it stretched because it loses its robustness and ascending affect. It seems they're trying to reduce the lost space from the inclines as much as possible, and it's bordering on defeating the purpose of the oscillating design. It's a trade-off, but it looks pretty good. If it's robust, it will look American.

They better go with more silver/white to contrast with the trump.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 2:14 AM
BANNED

I am going to make it official and support this project and this thread on this building. This is now BNK approved. Feel free to further contribute to this thread posthaste but with an albeit with a guarded mindset and proper respect for all fourmers and their opinions.

You may now keep it open for the time being depending how it is further developed and discussed in the proper ssp manor and customs.

This has enough legs now to get my full support.

You may now continue to progress with your comments with decorum and sensitivity of course.

/s

Last edited by bnk; Dec 19, 2014 at 2:28 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 2:30 AM

Stunning!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 6:44 AM

So is this using a conventional structural system? The renders of the restaurant overlooking the river feature some wacky angled columns, but I assume they're just for that glass bustle, and that the rest of the tower's angled massing is achieved merely by variably cantilevered floor slabs (which Gang and Magellan know backwards and forwards from across the park).

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 1:46 PM
BANNED

This was put out in July by Curbed showing the effect on the skyline.

There are 7 renders in there.

http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...ur-skyline.php

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 3:10 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ bnk, Rayn already posted his skyline massing model images in this thread back in july.

of course, now that the orientation of the building has been flipped, i'm sure we wouldn't mind if he redid them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan81 View Post

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 3:17 PM
Windy City Dan

With this building utilizing such a large plot, Gems II and site O seemingly ready to launch, there's really not much left to develop in LSE besides all those eastern most prime spots. I for one, and incredibly interested what shapes up. I know it will be years in the making, but those east plots of land will be the best in all of LSE, maybe even the entire city, with forever unobstructed views of the lake. I can't imagine Magellan not swinging for the fences given how well LSE is doing. Does anyone know what those plots are zoned for?

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 4:05 PM
Chicago Kid

http://www.reddit.com/r/chicago/comm...nda_vista_the/ can you please go here and smack sense into idiots posting here

its always same nimby "this isn't chicago" ppl spamming im so sick of it

if admins dont approve delete but seriously this is necessary

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 4:59 PM
you know where I'll be

I'm generally liking what I'm seeing here. As others have mentioned, I too hope for something more silvery and less blue in the glass.

And, what impresses me the most by far with these new renderings is this interior imagery - these public/lobby spaces look absolutely incredible......I think they really have the potential to be some of the best in the city.............fingers crossed that the project budget is truly as large as some of the figures that have been tossed around (I maintain my skepticism on some of the largest figures for sure) and the Magellan/Loewenberg VE apparatus doesn't also kick-in in the end for this project......

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Dec 19, 2014 at 5:15 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 7:09 PM

[QUOTE=the urban politician;6847620]I'm particularly excited because presumably this won't need much financing if Wanda is going to put up nearly a $ billion to building this thing. They can probably get rolling as soon as permits are pulled.

Per Crain's article:

"In a prospectus for the IPO, Wanda said it would invest no more than about $225 million in the Lakeshore East project, which will be called Wanda Vista."

So only about 25% equity. Darn.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 8:04 PM

The view of this while driving on northbound LSD is going to be incredible! I foresee many near miss crashes on my part because of this.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 8:13 PM
you know where I'll be

[QUOTE=RC Cola 23;6850597]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I'm particularly excited because presumably this won't need much financing if Wanda is going to put up nearly a $ billion to building this thing. They can probably get rolling as soon as permits are pulled.

Per Crain's article:

"In a prospectus for the IPO, Wanda said it would invest no more than about $225 million in the Lakeshore East project, which will be called Wanda Vista."

So only about 25% equity. Darn.

This is what I mean though - none of this financing stuff is clear yet. I doubt this thing costs a penny over $700 million in the end, quite possibly closer to $600 million.

I'm now thinking that this likely will go through Plan Commission, Zoning Committee, Council approval.............even though it might technically be possible to shift some things around in the existing LSE PD, I just think that Reilly won't let anything this large be built without begin able to exert his prerogative over it (having stated that, I'm not predicting though that major changes will be forced on the developers from the proposal that is depicted in these renderings, given the very high-profile nature of the project including the international investment, and Rahm's related involvement - I think he'll bite Reilly's head off and mail it to his wife or similar if Reilly tries to play any pandergames with this one).......

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 4:00 AM

Overall I like the silver sleekness. And the stacking reversal. It should step back from the lake, it'll sit better in the skyline that way. But I still don't care for the disrespect for the street wall on the east edge. What kind of an architect intentionally leaves a blank wall uncovered when it's such an easy fix? Oh well, at least the west side is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Nice, but it just screams out Dr. Evil lair, complete with overlooking missile control room. Where's the monorail?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 4:13 AM

Funny you should say monorail, this view reminds of the Contemporary hotel at Disney World where the monorail goes through.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 6:05 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post

Nice, but it just screams out Dr. Evil lair, complete with overlooking missile control room. Where's the monorail?
This tower is not complete without a water tank containing sharks with frickin laser beams.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 7:26 AM

Quote:
What? The ballroom is the best part of the design! Love it!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 7:28 AM

I want to see sections or plans as I'm wondering which point the height measurement being taken? From Wacker Drive or down from Field Blvd?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 12:51 PM

[QUOTE=SamInTheLoop;6850719]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Cola 23 View Post

This is what I mean though - none of this financing stuff is clear yet. I doubt this thing costs a penny over $700 million in the end, quite possibly closer to $600 million.

I'm now thinking that this likely will go through Plan Commission, Zoning Committee, Council approval.............even though it might technically be possible to shift some things around in the existing LSE PD, I just think that Reilly won't let anything this large be built without begin able to exert his prerogative over it (having stated that, I'm not predicting though that major changes will be forced on the developers from the proposal that is depicted in these renderings, given the very high-profile nature of the project including the international investment, and Rahm's related involvement - I think he'll bite Reilly's head off and mail it to his wife or similar if Reilly tries to play any pandergames with this one).......
I agree, I just don't see how this will cost 900, possibly a similar building in nyc maybe, but the land cost is cheap, the Legacy and Aqua tower were both only around 300 million, i would say this building would cost no more than 500million, ALso the condo market is just coming back, perhaps itll be at its prime when this building finishes, but seeing how the Legacy is still trying to sell its condos makes me feel that the condo market may not come back as strong this boom as before. My point bringing up a not so stellar condo market is that I doubt this building would cost 900 million when the avg condo may only command at most 1million dollars

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 3:19 PM

^It's about the finishes and the intricacies of design. Remember that Trump cost about $850M. WV will be bridging over streets and have foundation work done on 2 parcels of land on either side of a roadway. I can see the reason for this project being more costly.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2014, 3:38 PM

Quote:
... I still don't care for the disrespect for the street wall on the east edge. What kind of an architect intentionally leaves a blank wall uncovered when it's such an easy fix?
Finally, someone else sees a few of the most basic flaws in the design...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture