HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
As someone who worked in the offices of TFNP for a while – I don't buy this at all. Paul Jordan and the whole TFNP team are much smarter than to convert that to offices – might just be the line they used to get Muddy's out. I could possibly seeing offices going on the second floor corner of the Market, but even then I know they want the existing areas of The Forks to the central public hub, and offices/services located in Railside.

If the people who have that "opinion" (it's actually just a lie) don't go anymore, I'm OK with that.
Well, that's the reason being given by Wow, which apparently came from the Forks. I guess they figure they can make some money by renting to professional firms. Don't forget the Forks all of a sudden has a lot of restaurant space to fill in the main building.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 1:19 AM

I would be shocked if it became an office. Last I heard was unless someone immediately stepped in wanting Sydney’s, it was going to be ripped up and converted to more retail and/or community space. Lots ideas were thrown around like some sort of makerspace or a place for small vendors to set up, since they got rid of the window bay vendors facing The Common.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 5:14 PM

The Forks festival stage now carries the name of the rail line that's been a part of the area since the early 1900s.

As of Friday, the stage is now known as CN Stage and Field, thanks to a new partnership between the historic rail line and popular tourist spot.

"With over 130 years of railway history at The Forks, and almost 40 trains travelling through here every day, it's exciting to welcome CN as a partner to continue to make history at the site," The Forks CEO Paul Jordan said.

Winnipeg is home to a central CN hub in the company's transcontinental rail network.

Wpg Free Press

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 12:06 AM

CN paid $750k for naming rights

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 12:07 AM

FreePress has article "Residential development at The Forks contravenes railway safety guidelines"

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 12:19 AM
There is always a way

Oh boy here we go. I guess there are some parking lot advocates that are going crazy about the loss of spaces.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 2:28 AM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Oh boy here we go. I guess there are some parking lot advocates that are going crazy about the loss of spaces.
Oh, you mean the loss of spaces that aren't used since no one goes there anyways?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
FreePress has article "Residential development at The Forks contravenes railway safety guidelines"
They're just 'guidelines'. And Railside does meet them. The buildings at the Forks will be setback far enough. It'll be up to the developers to include mitigative measures in their buildings for vibration and noise, if they so choose.

Last edited by bomberjet; Sep 8, 2018 at 2:53 PM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2018, 9:52 PM

Yeah, the FP gives a forum to a raving dumbass and throws in a sensationalist headline.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Pathway Development at The Forks Honouring Indigenous Past
September 14, 2018 12:24 PM

WINNIPEG — A popular pathway at The Forks has been named to honour the city’s Indigenous heritage.

The South Point pathway is now known as Niizhoziibean, meaning two rivers in Ojibway, and is located near where the Red and Assiniboine rivers meet.

“Niizhoziibean not only embodies the spirit of the traditional past of The Forks but enhances our understanding of what this place means – a collaborative space where people have been coming together to trade, grow, and make life for millennia,” said Niigaan Sinclair, associate professor Dept. of Native Studies at the University of Manitoba.

The name was uncovered by elders Clarence and Barbara Nepinak during a ceremony on Friday.

The Forks, Ottawa and The Winnipeg Foundation is undertaking $1.2 million in improvements to the pathway that will include a 30-foot sculptural piece to be installed at the pedestrian entrance to the site from Queen Elizabeth Way.

Artists K.C. Adams, Jamie Isaac, and Val Vint were chosen through a call for submissions to create pieces on the site.

The path will also be linked to the promenade and pathway being developed on the St. Boniface side of the river, creating a full 2.5-kilometre loop between Esplanade Riel and the Norwood Bridge.

Further plans for the Niizhoziibean​ site redevelopment include:

Preserving the existing forest in South Point, across the historic rail bridge from the main Forks site.
Improving the pathway for universal accessibility.
Relocating trees for a reconfigured pathway.
Including a drum park ceremonial space.
Improving lighting.
Restoring native plants.
Installing interpretive elements to recognize Indigenous history.
Establishing a boardwalk within the forest canopy.

The federal government and The Winnipeg Foundation are each contributing $500,000, while The Forks Renewal Corporation is donating $200,000.

Future fundraising efforts will allow for an outdoor bush gallery and boardwalk within the forest canopy.

https://www.chrisd.ca/2018/09/14/nii.../#.W5wnUM5Kipo

A rendering of the sculpture that will be part of the redevelopment along the Niizhoziibean pathway

The pathway through South Point Park at The Forks has been renamed Niizhoziibean, which means two rivers in Ojibway.

The Niizhoziibean path will be part of a 2.5-kilometre loop along the riverbanks at The Forks.

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; Sep 29, 2018 at 11:27 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 10:54 PM

^^Great news! That entrance to the forks always seemed a little obscure. You can see here https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.88374...7i13312!8i6656 that the path entrance is sort of hidden behind a gravel driveway. Definitely could use a sprucing up.

Also happy to hear about this 2.5 km connected loop. One thing that drives me crazy is pathways that seem to fizzle out and lead to no where. It's nice to be able to just walk and not think too much about where your next turn will be (especially in a tourist area like the forks). Also nice to have a loop that shows off the city from two different sides of the river

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 1:44 AM

The sculpture looks like a giant turd - is that because it’s close to th river?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 6:23 PM

That's awesome. I've been curious what the road/sidewalk design is going to look like. They started reconstruction almost 2 weeks ago, the sidewalk and bike lane there are closed... really hope they get rid of the massive unnecessary turn/slip lanes that are only ever used by the odd Forks service truck... no need for it.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2018, 11:37 PM

downlow chicken pop up at muddy waters. two days in September. hot chicken!
I don't like the fact that it is a Vancouver company though, thought that wasn't allowed at the Forks. Doug Stephens jr..

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 6:32 AM

Any chance that Muddy Waters space would be ripe for a brewery? The last RFP just fizzled out. After talking to a few brewers, there was interest, but the model wouldn't work.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris22 View Post
^^Great news! That entrance to the forks always seemed a little obscure. You can see here https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.88374...7i13312!8i6656 that the path entrance is sort of hidden behind a gravel driveway. Definitely could use a sprucing up.

Also happy to hear about this 2.5 km connected loop. One thing that drives me crazy is pathways that seem to fizzle out and lead to no where. It's nice to be able to just walk and not think too much about where your next turn will be (especially in a tourist area like the forks). Also nice to have a loop that shows off the city from two different sides of the river
Does this loop include the Tache Promenade? If so this will be a great way to show off the city.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 9:53 PM

Yes it does. That is the final piece of the loop. It basically already there if you just use the sidewalk. But I think this project adds a wider pathway between the sidewalk and river.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 3:37 AM

I can confirm that there is no office of any kind taking over Muddy's – they laughed when I asked. TFNP has made internal rules that all main floor space has to be publicly accessible. They aren't 100% sure what they're doing with it yet, but it will either be restaurant space still, or (likely) converted into rentable public space, skate change, programming space, etc. They said any office/services will be directed to development at Railside, which just got a new website as well.

Also as I mentioned in the Exchange thread, Sk8 Skates is moving out in November (to Main Street), which opens up another huge space in the Market. There's no concrete plan for all these vacancies yet but a lot of ideas. They're currently tearing down drywall and restoring flooring and such. In talks with a lot of people about what to do, possibly some sort of mix of programming, retail, community, etc. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
The sculpture looks like a giant turd - is that because it’s close to th river?
It could be a giant turd but then again it could be ice cream. I guess it's all in how you look at it.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I can confirm that there is no office of any kind taking over Muddy's – they laughed when I asked. TFNP has made internal rules that all main floor space has to be publicly accessible. They aren't 100% sure what they're doing with it yet, but it will either be restaurant space still, or (likely) converted into rentable public space, skate change, programming space, etc. They said any office/services will be directed to development at Railside, which just got a new website as well.

Also as I mentioned in the Exchange thread, Sk8 Skates is moving out in November (to Main Street), which opens up another huge space in the Market. There's no concrete plan for all these vacancies yet but a lot of ideas. They're currently tearing down drywall and restoring flooring and such. In talks with a lot of people about what to do, possibly some sort of mix of programming, retail, community, etc. Will be interesting to see what happens.
Maybe something to do with Railside? A dry goods store of some kind?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan