HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
The Edmonton skyline looks perfectly fine...

What are you talking about? Some of the most beautiful skyscraper skylines in the world are landmarked by anchor skyscrapers. Chicago, Hong Kong, just to name those 2 off the top of my head. Yes, they have incredible built density in both cases, but Edmonton is not too shabby if uncomparable to those 2...
I think it works for some cities and doesn't work for others. Oklahoma City is one that just looks awkward due to its largest tower being so much larger than the rest. Also its location.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 1:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
I think it works for some cities and doesn't work for others. Oklahoma City is one that just looks awkward due to its largest tower being so much larger than the rest. Also its location.
Moncton right now is dominated by the brutalist phallus of Assumption Place. I don't necessarily want anything taller than this, but a half dozen or so buildings in the 12-20 storey range to blunt the overbearing effect of Assumption Place on the Moncton skyline would be most welcome. Happily Moncton is now going to see three 15 storey buildings and a 12 storey building in the next five years or so, maybe with more to come.

It's a start...……..

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 2:52 PM

Every city is different and each city is in a different stage of their development. Moncton is still early in its development stage and projects like this are a great addition to the city. Not everything will be perfect, there will be designs that some will hate, others will love, that’s part of life, we won’t all agree on everything.

I for one am very happy with this, are there things that could be changed? Sure, but that’s life, not every developer will bring similar designs or styles and each project including this one will add to the city and benefit the downtown significantly.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 3:32 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
The Edmonton skyline looks perfectly fine...
Eh.

Quote:
What are you talking about? Some of the most beautiful skyscraper skylines in the world are landmarked by anchor skyscrapers. Chicago, Hong Kong, just to name those 2 off the top of my head.
There's a difference between having tall, recognizable scrapers and having one scraper that's noticeable taller than every other. Dubai has both of these problems and I don't think I ever see it on many people's 'Best Skyline' lists. Niagara is a fun example in Canada if you want bad skyline shots.

The Oklahoma City skyline is a good example of the point i'm trying to get across. Too tall compared to everything else, generally off to the side, and distracts from everything else. At least it's visually nice.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 8:59 PM

I don't know of any other city in Canada that has a worse parking lot problem than Moncton. Edmonton used to be very bad with parking lots but a number of parking lots have disappeared in the last 10 years. Moncton would be better off with 3 short towers instead of one tall tower because those parking lots need to go. I would prefer it if those 3 towers were not the same height though. Stantec Tower is decently positioned within Edmonton's skyline that makes the taller towers work with the skyline. Ottawa's tallest starting construction soon is very poorly positioned in relation to the skyline.

Old Posted May 29, 2021, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Eh.

There's a difference between having tall, recognizable scrapers and having one scraper that's noticeable taller than every other. Dubai has both of these problems and I don't think I ever see it on many people's 'Best Skyline' lists. Niagara is a fun example in Canada if you want bad skyline shots.

The Oklahoma City skyline is a good example of the point i'm trying to get across. Too tall compared to everything else, generally off to the side, and distracts from everything else. At least it's visually nice.
I understand completely your point with your OKC example, but Edmonton doesn't look that unbalanced. However your point doesn't mean that a skyline is completely lopsided because of one taller building, it just makes it interesting IMHO. Albany NY is one strange skyline, but distinctive and interesting nonetheless. I have a problem with downtown Moncton parking & vacant lots, Moncton has a very distinctive skyline, but I would pass on the cartoon-ish Château Moncton, so inapropriate and out of place. Cheers!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 3:32 PM

The lumber seems to keep piling up on this site. I'm not sure if I missed it, but have they received their building permit yet?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 3:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
The lumber seems to keep piling up on this site. I'm not sure if I missed it, but have they received their building permit yet?
They have approval from PAC, but I don't believe they have their rubber stamp from city council yet. The building permit will follow that.

I remain convinced we will see the tower crane here first, before St. Bernard Square, which is slated to begin construction in September, and even then, they will have to excavate three levels of underground parking before installing the crane there.......

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 4:03 PM

I just checked. The next council meeting is June 21. |So the first opportunity for council to approve this project would be that night.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 12:45 AM

They approved the redevelopment grants for Lafford tonight. I think that’s a good sign that they will be able to start before summers done.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 1:43 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Finally, a full colour rendering:

Also, I saw that Mayor Dawn Arnold referred to this development as "49 Foundry Street" rather than 20 Record Street in her city council meeting summary this evening. Since this development really fronts on Foundry rather than Record, I wonder if this will be the actual address for this project.

At some point, I imagine this development will get a more proper name (like St. Bernard Square).

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jul 3, 2021 at 7:44 PM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Finally, a full colour rendering:

Extremely exciting! I noticed when looking closer the buildings will have a different colour scheme for each. I see Brown, green and a navy blue colour

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 10:56 AM

Not surprisingly there is excavators now on site.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
They approved the redevelopment grants for Lafford tonight. I think that’s a good sign that they will be able to start before summers done.
Besides the development grants, I assume that they also obtained the building permit?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 1:09 PM

With a 6-7 year buildout there's a pretty good chance that the design of the second and third phases will change.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2021, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
With a 6-7 year buildout there's a pretty good chance that the design of the second and third phases will change.
Potentially there could be an added height component by that time as well. As I’ve mentioned before if they move the transmission lines in that time period that would give them access to the rest of the property. Even if the 2nd and 3rd towers had a slightly different design it would break things up a bit. I’m incredibly excited for this project!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 1:22 AM

They broke ground today. They were moving dirt around when I was on my way home. Someone could change the name of the thread to include Under Construction

Old Posted Jun 24, 2021, 1:34 AM

I'd still like to see that electrical sub station moved out of the way. You have to wonder if Lafford & NB Power have ever had any talks about that land.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 1:12 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
They broke ground today. They were moving dirt around when I was on my way home. Someone could change the name of the thread to include Under Construction
Incredibly, they seem to be making preparations to install the tower crane already!

The base of the tower crane has been moved next to an excavation pit that may have forms at the bottom. We might actually see the tower crane erected by sometime in July.

Lafford certainly had all his ducks in a row before seeking approval from PAC. The speed this project is proceeding with is certainly breathtaking.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Chicago's skyline may be anchored by the Sears Tower (or whatever it's called now) but in terms of height it's not dramatically different than some of its other towers.
Can't reply to your comment, I'm just in awe of the windy city's skyline. Top 5 in the world for sure. The density, the styles, just awesome. Can't wait to return. I wish I was able to see more of the JHC in this shot, but it's ok.

Returning to our topic, this triple tower project in Moncton is certainly the largest project of its kind in downtown Moncton's history.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces