HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted Dec 14, 2017, 6:00 PM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
I've said this before: I'm VERY nervous about the OMB having reduced powers and cities having more.
Hamilton needs the OMB so builders can build housing that we need. Council is led around the nose by small groups of NIMBYs who only want sprawling suburbs to be built here.
totally agreed- there's a good chance development in Ontario will flatline without the OMB.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 12:44 AM

Ontario Municipal Board supports agreement that reduces Queenston Road's building height

3/12/2018 | by Kevin Werner

A proposed 19-storey residential development on Queenston Road in Stoney Creek has been cut down in a compromise settlement between the developer and the City of Hamilton.

New Horizon Development Group agreed to reduce the height on the controversial development from 19-storeys to 14-storeys, while still retaining 219 units, the same number of units as before. In addition, 20 per cent of the units will be designated as affordable for the next 10 years.

“It’s a compromise,” said Stoney Creek Coun. Doug Conley. “(The developer) would have gotten 19-storeys (at the Ontario Municipal hearing). I didn’t want to take that chance.”

About 75 per cent of the residential units will be one bedroom, an increase from the previous proposal. There will be about 265 parking spaces above ground and underground. The office building located on the property, which houses ReMax Escarpment Realty Inc., has just over 30 parking spaces.

Conley said there will be no balconies on half the side of the development to prevent people from looking into nearby houses.

“There are more positives (to the compromise) than negatives,” he said.

Opponents to the development had urged the Ontario Municipal Board chair, Sharyn Vincent, to if not dismiss the proposal, and then limit the building to nine storeys.

But Conley said the board would not have agreed to that request.

“These will be apartment units, not condos,” said the councillor. “We need apartment buildings.”

The Ontario Municipal Board had set aside 10 days for a hearing but a mediation meeting was held at the end of January, and a settlement was made by the city and developer at the end of February.

Vincent said the revised proposal “is consistent with provincial policy.

“The neighbourhood is undergoing significant infrastructure improvements. It encourages transit support.”

Sarah Knoll, a senior planner for GSP Group, told the hearing held at the Stoney Creek Municipal Centre March 12, the neighbourhood is undergoing change in anticipation of the construction of the light-rail transit service from McMaster University to Eastgate Square and the new Confederation GO station at Centennial Parkway and the QEW.

But Paul Glenney, who has lived since 1978 on Blanmora Drive which backs onto the proposed development, said a 14-storey building “dramatically alters the landscape” of the entire neighbourbood.

He also was concerned the only access to the development by residents will be into Battlefield Plaza, causing traffic problems.

Conley didn’t believe the building will disrupt the neighbourhood despite what some residents think will happen.

“In a few years residents won’t know it is even there,” he said.

Hamilton politicians in February 2017 turned down the development proposal, even though planning staff had supported it.

The building will be located on 0.38 hectares of the total 1.2 hectare property, currently occupied by a two-storey office building that hosts ReMax Escarpment Reality. The proposed development abuts Stoney Creek Little League Ball Park.

Knoll said the developer will be preserving the natural heritage designation of most of the land. She said the idea is to change the land designation from general commercial and open space to residential zoning.

There will be a 30-metre buffer to Battlefield Creek, while also protecting the designated open spaces.

Old Posted May 13, 2021, 11:55 AM

A $46 million building permit was issued here in April.

I last drove by about a week ago and didn’t see any signs of construction - but it must be imminent if they are getting their permits issued. Good to see it moving forward, especially with the LRT now running to Eastgate again. This will be easy walking distance from the terminal station.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 4:43 PM

edit: wrong thread

Last edited by johnnyhamont; Jun 28, 2021 at 6:55 PM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 5:33 PM

That's this project, a bit further down Highway 8:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=230899

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 5:40 PM

A rendering for this project from 2016, when it was proposed at 19 storeys. I don't believe it has changed a ton other than had 5 storeys lopped off since.

Also, despite a permit being issued in April, no activity has occurred on site as of Saturday.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 1:03 AM

Jason Thorne tweeted a photo of the groundbreaking for this today with the Mayor in attendance.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 1:08 PM

Is this the first time New Horizon has done purpose-built rental?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 1:18 PM

I believe so.

See tweet from Jason Thorne Below:

https://twitter.com/JasonThorne_RPP/...949722116?s=20

Quote:
Get used to scenes like this Hamilton! A 500 metre walk from the future “Eastgate” LRT station … a ground-breaking today for
@LiveNewHorizon
’s new 219-unit rental tower on a former brownfield site w/ 20% below-market affordable units.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 3:07 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Get used to scenes like this Hamilton!
Hopefully we won't have to get used to five-and-a-half years between proposals and shovels-in-ground.

Though projects in neighbourhoods like this will continue to get a rough ride from area residents, even if they're on a major arterial street.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 1:46 PM

I can report that an excavator was finally on site here last week when I drove by. Took them a while.

[Stoney Creek] 860 Queenston Road | ?m | 14 fl | Proposed >>>> [Stoney Creek] 860 Queenston Road | ?m | 14 fl | Under Construction

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 7:50 PM
Ham-burgher

6 years from the proposal to the dig. Six.

Yeah, this one was more controversial than many others, but I commend the developer for their patience.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 7:54 PM

To be fair the last year or so is on their end entirely.. The city issued the first permit here almost a year ago (April 2021). There has been nothing in their way in terms of the City since then, as far as I can tell..

Regardless, it's good to see. Stoney Creek's apartment market seems quite healthy and we seem to be seeing 1-2 large apartment building starts each year in the area - right as The Jackson and Casa Di Torre finish up, this one and Muse are starting.

This one is a rental too, which is particularly unique for a suburban location like this. Really shows how rental buildings are making a come back.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 7:56 PM
Ham-burgher

What's the "norm" between permit issue and construction? And did the pandemic affect the process for many builders?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
What's the "norm" between permit issue and construction? And did the pandemic affect the process for many builders?
typically permits are issued and construction starts almost immediately, though it varies. Some builders even start without permits (Vrancor does this almost every time and Knightsbridge did it for the McMaster residence downtown).

It depends on financing and contractor availability though, as this is a rental they may have struggled to line up financing for a bit which delayed it getting a true construction start.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 11:32 PM

Expect rents to be at around $2,000+/month for just a 1bdrm 600+ sqft unit, and probably $2300+ for a 2bdrm. - not including utilities.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Expect rents to be at around $2,000+/month for just a 1bdrm 600+ sqft unit, and probably $2300+ for a 2bdrm. - not including utilities.
The thing about rentals is they decrease in price over time. All the affordable rentals in Hamilton were premium market rate rentals at time of completion. The big reason we don't have enough rental supply and therefore a contributor to the housing crisis is because we didn't built rental for 20 years.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 7:41 PM

No pictures unfortunately, however when I drove past here today their were 2 shoring rigs on site. I'll be in the city tomorrow morning flying the drone around so if I get a chance I'll take a look from above.

Last edited by urban_planner; Apr 29, 2022 at 8:27 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_planner View Post
No pictures unfortunately, however when I drove past here today their were 2 shoring rigs on site. I'll be in the city tomorrow morning flying the drone around so if I get a chance I'll take a look from above.
Since you'll be sorta in the neighbourhood-ish, any chance you could do a quick drone fly-by on The Jackson on King St? Would love to get a better view of the back.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Since you'll be sorta in the neighbourhood-ish, any chance you could do a quick drone fly-by on The Jackson on King St? Would love to get a better view of the back.
If i remember I will.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs