HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
I’m not too confident in that idea. The advertising of the property was clearly geared towards someone willing to take up the project. But let’s say hypothetically whoever did buy it plans to turn it into parking, because the property is in a heritage conservation area they’d have to go through the Heritage Development Board and then PAC and then common council. I can’t imagine any of these committees approving a parking lot there.
They absolutely cannot use a Heritage corner lot for parking. IIRC the city spent a lot of effort a few years ago reducing impromptu private lots and consolidating city owned lots.

Plus they must have paid $80K minimum, which would be awful steep to park 6-8 cars.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 4:19 PM

I watched today's growth committee meeting and while the majority of the presentation was on policy, Mr. Wilbur spoke.

The Wentworth opening is delayed by 2 months. Now January 2022.

Grocery store chains are NOT interested in opening uptown.

No information was provided on the status of 99 King other than the fact he continues to look for a strong tenant.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 4:21 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Grocery store chains are NOT interested in opening uptown.
I'd like to hear this from someone who isn't the developer of a project seeking retail tenants.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I'd like to hear this from someone who isn't the developer of a project seeking retail tenants.
I'll add this to provide more context. Question is asked at 9:05.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXmKTVRx7Bk

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 5:38 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Quote:
I'll add this to provide more context. Question is asked at 9:05.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXmKTVRx7Bk
Wilbur goes on to suggest that what the big national chains he's dealing with might be more amenable to is "a facility that sells groceries", which would not include things like a deli or produce department. According to Wilbur this may actually work out as such a retailer would be complimentary to, rather than competing with, what is being offered by the City Market. All this with the caveat that nothing has been formally secured yet.

By "facility that sells groceries" I can only assume he's referring to a larger format pharmacy type store with an expanded grocery section. Are there any other retail models out there that fit the bill?

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 5:44 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
By "facility that sells groceries" I can only assume he's referring to a larger format pharmacy type store with an expanded grocery section. Are there any other retail models out there that fit the bill?
Sounds like a Shoppers or Rexall. The very nature of a grocery store is that it sells food items with limited shelf life.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2021, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Sounds like a Shoppers or Rexall. The very nature of a grocery store is that it sells food items with limited shelf life.
Yeah he's describing something barely different than what Giant Tiger has Uptown already IMO, which hardly fills the same void. Between FreshVille, GT, the Market, etc. we need more fresh food and more things like bakeries, and longer hours for everything.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
Wilbur goes on to suggest that what the big national chains he's dealing with might be more amenable to is "a facility that sells groceries", which would not include things like a deli or produce department. According to Wilbur this may actually work out as such a retailer would be complimentary to, rather than competing with, what is being offered by the City Market.
I would argue that a smaller food-focused grocery store wouldn't take away from the prosperity of the city market. It might actually draw more people if they knew they could shop at the City Market for more fresh and local items AND get a broader shopping experience at an adjacent specialty supermarket.

To that end, I wonder if he has approached Sobeys about opening the first Farm Boy out east. It would be perfect for downtown Saint John. Lots of organic and specialty items, a small enough deli/fresh food/meat counter to not over compete with the market, and it would be a great addition to downtown. It is the one thing I am going to miss when we move from Toronto next month!

Sobeys bought them a year ago so I suspect we will see them soon out east!

www.farmboy.ca

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 6:24 PM

Quote:
The vacant lot at the corner of Charlotte and Queen Square South with the townhouse drawings has sold. I wonder if the new owners plan to proceed with the project.
Realtor Bob McVicar has confirmed the new owner will proceed with the townhouses.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Realtor Bob McVicar has confirmed the new owner will proceed with the townhouses.
Lot ended up selling for $85K, well short of the $110K asking price. I wonder if this will help motivate the seller of the 5 lots/derelict properties between 34 Harding and 287 Princess to come down. They're asking an insane $500K+ last time I heard.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Lot ended up selling for $85K, well short of the $110K asking price. I wonder if this will help motivate the seller of the 5 lots/derelict properties between 34 Harding and 287 Princess to come down. They're asking an insane $500K+ last time I heard.
I went down there today and noticed a smaller lot adjacent to the package is for sale with a separate realtor company. I don't think the buildings in the package have much architectural value so I wouldn't be sad to see them go. Between the two properties that would be a decently sized lot.

With Mike Cavanaugh's building at LCL coming online maybe he'll be looking for another project?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2021, 8:49 PM

A beautiful brick building just down the road from the Wentworth is being refurbished. With all the street reconstruction going on and these kinds of developments, this area is shaping up to be really nice.

photo upload

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 2:22 AM

Quote:
A beautiful brick building just down the road from the Wentworth is being refurbished. With all the street reconstruction going on and these kinds of developments, this area is shaping up to be really nice.
Apparently this is a labour of love so it should turn out nice. Owners intend to occupy one unit. Garage may be built at back of lot facing Pitt which I think they deserve. Princess should look good- maybe this will spur development of some more basement units. Lots of potential. 5-6 I can recall thinking could work from the outside.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2021, 2:00 PM

Another micro project is kicking off on Broad St. Old rectory beside the former St John the Baptist (soon to be a climbing gym) is becoming 5 apartments, notably NOT luxury. Nice to see this building get new life.

https://huddle.today/residential-pro...in-saint-john/

There's a crapton of 2-4 unit projects on the go right now too. I'd reckon at least 50 vacant units have been brought back online or created by small independent developers (not Historica, SJNPH, Kavanaugh, etc) this past couple of years, and that's a success story that really doesn't get told very often. I mean, just look at 2016 Google Streetview and you can see at least one big restoration on any block since then.

There's 4-6 units at 49 Canterbury underway, the Pitt and Princess 8 unit above, and three projects totaling 6 units on Carmarthen between Duke and Mecklenberg. A handful of duplexes and triplexes on King E as well.

Last edited by adamuptownsj; Oct 21, 2021 at 2:10 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2021, 8:32 PM

Big chunk on Prince William 80-88 has SOLD! Office space in these buildings will be converted to resident units.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 9:08 PM

Anyone know what this is or will be by new small craft marina?

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 30, 2021, 11:39 PM

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 12:25 AM

Demolition has begun for Market Square / Loyalist Plaza makeover

[IMG] [/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
Hey, I'm all for a working port, but wouldn't the derelict pier next to American metal be a better spot for this? No offense, but I don't want to look out the window of my condo to see hundreds of seagulls pilfering the rotten fish out of lobster traps.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2021, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewIreland View Post
Hey, I'm all for a working port, but wouldn't the derelict pier next to American metal be a better spot for this? No offense, but I don't want to look out the window of my condo to see hundreds of seagulls pilfering the rotten fish out of lobster traps.
The indigenous fishermen already use that area for unloading their lobster - can’t see them moving to a west side wharf. I’m pretty sure it’s going to be an area for pleasure craft so may actually look nice.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces