HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 2:45 PM

[Burlington] Brant and Ghent | 14fl/25fl & 25fl & 8fl

Development proposal by Molinaro Group at the long vacant corners of Brant and Ghent.

Architect: Graziani and Corazza

Phase 1: 794m² retail space (2604ft²)
Phase 2: 492m² retail space (1614ft²)
Phase 3: 0 retail space

Can I just say, I love how City of Burlington posts all documents online like this: https://www.burlington.ca/en/service..._and_Ghent.asp

Looking north up Brant St (the vacant space to left would be where the existing apartment building is)

Same view from higher up, just architectural rendering:

Looking south on Brant St:

Looking west just north of Ghent at the 8floor fronting Brant:

Looking east on Ghent at the back of the 8floor building:

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Last edited by TheRitsman; Aug 23, 2021 at 3:27 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 2:48 PM

Hamilton has supposedly been “working on” posting its project documents online but never seems to get around to actually doing it..

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 2:58 PM

510 1BRs
303 2BRs
68 3BRs
881 TOTAL units

932 residential parking spaces
140 visitor spaces
1072 TOTAL parking spaces

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
510 1BRs
303 2BRs
68 3BRs
881 TOTAL units

932 residential parking spaces
140 visitor spaces
1072 TOTAL parking spaces
The parking is crazy. At my old condo at the Go Station on Fairview many people didn't even use the parking spaces. Again recalling that below grade structured parking costs between $80,000 - $100,000 per stall that's insane.

To give you an idea, the cost to build parking at this total 3 phase development will be between $85,760,000 and $107,200,000

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 5:42 PM
Ham-burgher

But this is Burlington. Gotta have those spaces! Otherwise what will the people who are critical of new developments -- especially tall buildings -- complain about?

This is the last part of Brant that's "walkable." Yet while there's plenty within a fairly short distance (No Frills and retail plaza less than 700m to the south, the downtown and lakeshore are within 1.5km, Burlington GO station about 1 km in the other direction) I don't know how many people who live around this intersection use their feet as much as their wheels.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 5:51 PM
Ham-burgher

And good on the City of Burlington for sharing. And for making this info relatively easy to find.

That's how it should be.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2021, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
But this is Burlington. Gotta have those spaces! Otherwise what will the people who are critical of new developments -- especially tall buildings -- complain about?

This is the last part of Brant that's "walkable." Yet while there's plenty within a fairly short distance (No Frills and retail plaza less than 700m to the south, the downtown and lakeshore are within 1.5km, Burlington GO station about 1 km in the other direction) I don't know how many people who live around this intersection use their feet as much as their wheels.
It's Burlington - even downtown automotive modal shares are huge. The area is very walkable though for sure, so it's not zero. Just not downtown Toronto levels.

Intensification here will be much better than intensification on Appleby near the 407 in terms of modal shares, but they won't be downtown levels either.

This is proposing about 1.1 spaces per unit. I could see it realistically being closer to 0.7 or 0.8 spaces per unit.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs