HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I don't think the local perception of the Wanderers is that they are crappy because their stadium is not fancy enough.
A lot lower scale of a project to try to piece together a more permanent solution there. I wouldn't say they have enough of a history yet to say it's a success either.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Covid-19 has decimated CFL's already weak business model that is why they are discussing a merger with the xfl and the rock today to probably try and get a cut of us expansion fees for some much needed revenue and maybe a us tv deal with fox. Much easier to add 8 to 12 us teams in 1 year
The CFL should just join forces with the NFL and commit to being a defacto developmental league. Keep some sort of quota requiring X amount of Canadian players to develop in their system while signing undrafted college guys from NCAA that might need a year or two of developing but not quite there to make the practice roster of an NFL club.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigonish View Post
The CFL should just join forces with the NFL and commit to being a defacto developmental league. Keep some sort of quota requiring X amount of Canadian players to develop in their system while signing undrafted college guys from NCAA that might need a year or two of developing but not quite there to make the practice roster of an NFL club.
That would kill the league. Name one developmental league in North America that people actually care about (MLS doesn't count ).

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 3:41 AM

I am amazed by the amount of media coverage today and intrigue that potential xfl/cfl merger talk has generated today by fans in my age group in their 30's who look down at the CFL usually and are talking about this today I don't think I have seen the CFL get headlines this big in a very very long time.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 3:33 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
No thanks. Seems like a lose-lose proposition.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I think the other important uses are more along the lines of the local pro soccer team, large concerts, and the universities including events like the Uteck Bowl. If they had gone the bare bones temporary seating route, gradually upgraded, and went for around 20,000 seats I think they could have had a site on public land and the costs would have been reasonable. If they had used the site to host some concerts and other things there would have been widespread support for the use of the site.
In its short history, IG Field in Winnipeg has hosted a pretty wide range of events besides CFL football and the Grey Cup. There are the other home teams that share it (the U of M Bisons and Valour FC of the CPL), there have been one-off special events like being a host site for the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup and the 2016 NHL Heritage Classic, a NFL exhibition game and concerts. There aren't many touring stadium shows that pass through these parts but they have been able to do some with various big name acts like Taylor Swift, Beyonce and Jay-Z, Paul McCartney, AC/DC, etc. Regina has had a similar experience with Mosaic Stadium.

You wouldn't necessarily build a stadium just for those one-off special events, but it is nice to have a venue to accommodate them. It's certainly part of the overall formula.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
That would kill the league. Name one developmental league in North America that people actually care about (MLS doesn't count ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Fair enough, I guess my proposition was more of a stab in the dark

If the CFL was serious about an XFL merger, would it be more in line like NL/AL (MLB) situation, which seems to be mentioned earlier, where the league remains quasi-autonomous? Maybe the CFL will have to remove Canadian rules and adopt American ones to survive.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 4:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
In its short history, IG Field in Winnipeg has hosted a pretty wide range of events besides CFL football and the Grey Cup. There are the other home teams that share it (the U of M Bisons and Valour FC of the CPL), there have been one-off special events like being a host site for the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup and the 2016 NHL Heritage Classic, a NFL exhibition game and concerts. There aren't many touring stadium shows that pass through these parts but they have been able to do some with various big name acts like Taylor Swift, Beyonce and Jay-Z, Paul McCartney, AC/DC, etc. Regina has had a similar experience with Mosaic Stadium.

You wouldn't necessarily build a stadium just for those one-off special events, but it is nice to have a venue to accommodate them. It's certainly part of the overall formula.
I was thinking that many of the original CFL stadiums (and some current ones) were built for international events like the Pan-Am, Commonwealth or British Empire games. Vancouver, Hamilton, Winnipeg and Edmonton at the very least have had CFL teams playing in these types of stadiums. It may be true of some others too.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2021, 8:27 PM

I really don't know what's the hold up with the CFL and Halifax but I am not a sports business person. You've got an investor group and an owner with some money, $20 million in funding from the city and a league just desperate to get to 10 teams "coast to coast". Who really cares if the stadium is a bit bare bones? Who is putting up that roadblock? If it's the league, shame on them and Ambrosie for not seeing the forest for the trees.

The CFL may not be major league, but it's not some small time thing like junior hockey or feeder league baseball. If you put a team there and play in the bare minimum viable space without any of the gold plating, you're still going to get the Stampeders, the Riders, the Argonauts etc. with their star QBs to show up to Halifax and play. The Gold Cup will be there. Huge stretch, but think of it like plopping an NBA team in a crappy stadium in Montreal. LeBron James is still going to come and play. That's enough of a draw in and of itself.

The CFL would have 10 teams tomorrow if they could just announce a cheap-ish stadium going. I wish someone pressed Ambrosie and the Halifax ownership group hard on why the hell they can't do that for a little more than what the Wanderers paid. As long as it seats enough people and won't collapse, just freaking build it with what you can cobble together and stop waiting for the government to give handouts so you can make it look a bit nicer.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 1:30 AM

Quebec Nordiques as a franchise being brought back...I would love to see it

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 2:29 AM

why not a CFL team in QC as well

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 2:48 AM

I wish the Maritimes got an NHL team.

Old Posted May 18, 2021, 9:52 AM

If not Quebec for an NHL team, then I could do wit a 2nd team in Toronto y'all

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
why not a CFL team in QC as well
I don’t know.

With the amount of success and huge following the Laval Rouge et Or football team has had in its 25 year history, I don’t know if Quebec City would fully get behind a new CFL team, the same way it has embraced the Rouge et Or.

A successful university team with homegrown French speaking players is hard to beat. A new CFL team will be full of American and English Canadian players. Can’t see it working in a market like Quebec City.

The PEPS stadium of the Rouge et Or can seat almost 13,000, and is expandable
to 18,000. Just goes to show the community support that team has in Quebec City. In all of the U sports football league, that’s the largest capacity for a team that doesn’t play out of a CFL stadium.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; May 19, 2021 at 5:42 AM.

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
CFL-XFL merger I honestly would love this

Old Posted May 19, 2021, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
How do you figure

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 9:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

The Arizona Coyotes are getting booted from their arena in Glendale, leaving them "homeless" in 2022.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 10:52 PM

^Bettman’s worst nightmare is happening.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The Arizona Coyotes are getting booted from their arena in Glendale, leaving them "homeless" in 2022.
A plot by the city of Glendale to extract better terms?

It's not like they're rolling around in potential tenants for Gila River Arena (the Suns play in downtown Phoenix) and it's not as if it's something like Barclays Center (it feels wrong to spell it that way) where they can make more money selling out big events/concerts.

The NHL has bent over backwards to keep the team in the Phoenix area before, so I expect more of the same.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2021, 11:01 PM

Somehow by hook or crook coyotes will stay in Arizona despite common sense that dog never dies

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada