HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Jun 13, 2009, 11:57 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Thank you for the compliments everyone! Very much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by treras93
That awesome Boise! Pierpont is excellent, and the plaza is awesome too
is it residential or just offices with balconies?

not sure that in-ground pool would work there though
Thank you! It's mostly a residential building...the main tower part is condos and the base is a 9-story 5-star hotel, but there are some offices located on the first and second floors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post
!!!OMG!!! dude, you have improved to no end! I could never think of something like that one capital square that is so awesome! I dont much like the shaft and size of the Pierpoint tower but the plaza/podium/crown are all amazing.

We have that at sundance square here in Fort Worth
Hahaha, no way! I was basing it off of Alive After Five, which we have here in Boise every week. That's awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule
Is this the downtown part of Pierpoint?
Indeed! Though it will change as I modify the layout of the city to a more realistic grid.

Thanks again everyone!

Anthony

Old Posted Jun 14, 2009, 2:14 PM

Everything is looking very good! I actually like the "random" layout and the skyline it produces. I think it looks very realistic. You should consider keeping it.

This is already one of the best cities in here.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 2:04 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Wow! Amazing! I really love this tower. Lookis familiar but I can't really remember from where. Anyways, the layout is actually pretty good. Like Vellu said, the randomness makes it have more of a realistic-city feeling to it.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 10:02 AM

Holy crumbles, that tower is incredible!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 12:18 PM
Closed account

Are those handmade windows?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 7:07 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Wow! Thank you so much for the compliments guys! Really helps keep me going!

Quote:
Lookis familiar but I can't really remember from where.
Usually, though not always, when I design a tower, I'll do it with a particular building in mind. I'll pull up some buildings, and I'll take its basic idea, but put a lot of my own changes on it. The Pierpont Tower was very loosely based off of the old 1990's Boise Tower design that was never built.

Quote:
Are those handmade windows?
Si.

Here are some projects under construction:

New Idaho State Capitol Building (I really love our existing Capitol Building, but because Pierpont isn't Boise, I decided to build from scratch an all-new Capitol Building. Hey, it'd be a unique challenge for me.). Haha, this is just after 6 hours of solid work...I'm thinking I'll probably spend more time on this building than any single building in Pierpont. I estimate it'll take me 20-30 more hours to complete.

Ooh, and an Art Deco in the works (Plus, when I complete it, I'll give a much more detailed history on the city of Pierpont, and why and how I hope to make it the would-be most architecturally unique city west of the Mississippi).

Enjoy!

Anthony

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 9:00 PM
Closed account

I LOVe the capitsl building!And the art deco one looks great too!Keep up this work!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 10:22 PM

Yur computer is gonna go splodey, but let's hope not. You need to colorized your textures on that deco. And make it more deco-ish, it just looks generic old-school.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 11:23 PM
Closed account

Austin is right.Even though the building looks really good it needs to be well more art decoish.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 6:04 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Oh, no worries on the art deco, I have a numerous list of planned things that weren't completed when I exported it to Kerky. I agree it doesn't look entirely art-deco in that shot, but the final product will definately be art deco-esque, even if I have to redesign the building entirely.

I got no shots for today, but progress on the Capitol Building has come along very nicely. I have completed the dome and am about 50% complete with the building itself. I have a feeling that when complete, this will be the best model I've ever designed on Sketchup, both in its massive amount of detail and its complete originality (while similar in architectural styles to many gov't buildings, it's not based off of any existing capitol building).

And I've been writing a short history on what makes Pierpont unique. Much of the information on architecture movements came from wikipedia, and my actual knowledge of architecture is extremely limited, so be kind to my history:

One of the things that makes Pierpont, Idaho stand out from any other american city was the impact of the City Beautiful Movement. In the Pierpont Universe, the city was the location of the 1924 World’s Fair, which was the third largest fair in Expo’s history. While World’s Fair have historically seldom made money for its investors, this one was unique in that it was entirely funded by Phillip Broussard, a dying oil-tycoon who was, at the time, the richest man in the world.

Phillip Broussard spent much of his childhood in Pierpont, and retired there. He wanted to give back to the community, and figured the best way would be to use his funds to bring people to Pierpont for a new World’s fair. He also wanted to make a lasting architectural mark on the city, so to give Pierpont a beautiful and unique identity for the citizens.

Broussard, who had traveled the world and became a great fan of the classical and neo-classical styles of Europe and Washington, D.C.; decided that he’d try and revive the dying City Beautiful movement by getting the world’s greatest architects to gather for the Fair.

Phillip Broussard and the 1924 World’s Fair changed the architecture of Pierpont more than any single two nouns, because many of the great architects opted to stay and retire in Pierpont and further its unique identity. While the City Beautiful movement didn’t catch on as Broussard had hoped in other western cities, Pierpont fostered and encourage it, and beautiful buildings came about.

City landmarks (Year completed / Landmark)

1925: A Large Symphony hall was built, which catapulted Pierpont into becoming one of the biggest cities for symphonic music in the United States
1928: A new art museum is built.
1932: A new State Capitol Building is built.
1933: A memorial for Phillip Broussard is built.
1934: A new courthouse is built.
1935: A new downtown train station is built.
1998: A science/discovery center built as a result of the large tech boom of the late 80’s and 90’s.
2000: A new convention center is built
2005: A new central public library is built

Today, Pierpont's economy is highly diversified. City leaders saw the technological boom and communications revolution of the past two decades as opportunities, and offered greater tax breaks and incentives for companies to relocate their headquarters and offices to Pierpont. As a result, technology development has become the leading sector for jobs and job growth. Companies like HP, Microsoft, Micron, Dell, Sony, IBM, and Apple have headquarters or large regional offices in Pierpont. This is also fueled by the Vale Institute of Technology, a world-class private research university located along the river near downtown Pierpont.

The University of Pierpont, a leading arts school, as well as the Pierpont Symphony Orchestra helped spur the city into becoming a leader in the arts, particularly music. The Pierpont Symphony Orchestra is well known for playing music that makes it way on film, and as such, film composers like John Williams, Alan Silvestri, James Newton Howard, Edward Shearmur, Howard Shore and John Debney are frequent visitors to the city.

(Landmarks and facts may change as the city is built)

Anthony

Last edited by BoiseAirport; Jun 21, 2009 at 6:21 AM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 11:51 AM
Closed account

Wow I love the story you did!And the history!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 2:11 PM
<:

verry detailed buildings! and i love the style. great work

Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 8:17 PM

Brousard, That name sounds familiar, Maybe im thinking of Phillipe Bouche (sp?), he plays for the stars. This city has provided to be very intersting, its like a next generation Palm Dunes.

Honestly, my only complaint is that its to perfect

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 3:22 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Hey all, here's a somewhat crude map of the layout so far...over the past few days, I've been mapping out the actual road layouts and such on sketchup so that when I can get a new computer, I'll have a ready location, because it's going to be a lot more than just a simple road grid... lots of curves and rivers to make it interesting.

What do you all think of the locations for everything? To me, the only thing I'm really iffy on is the location of the Pierpont Convention Center, which I've mapped two possible locations for it, and I'm hoping for some input...what do you guys think?

Oh, and seeing as I pulled an Anthony and forgot to name two pink blocks, the unnamed blocks are two different plazas similar in concept to the Diamond, but with low-midrises instead of highrises.

Thanks

Anthony

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 4:22 AM
Dare Mighty Things

I did a ton of photoshoping on a topography map I found of Boise, and transformed (or I suppose terraformed) the area into the Pierpont/Boxerville Metropolitan Area. The red lines are highways.

Anthony

Old Posted Jul 3, 2009, 12:04 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
Hey all, here's a somewhat crude map of the layout so far...over the past few days, I've been mapping out the actual road layouts and such on sketchup so that when I can get a new computer, I'll have a ready location, because it's going to be a lot more than just a simple road grid... lots of curves and rivers to make it interesting.

What do you all think of the locations for everything? To me, the only thing I'm really iffy on is the location of the Pierpont Convention Center, which I've mapped two possible locations for it, and I'm hoping for some input...what do you guys think?

Oh, and seeing as I pulled an Anthony and forgot to name two pink blocks, the unnamed blocks are two different plazas similar in concept to the Diamond, but with low-midrises instead of highrises.

Thanks

Anthony
I would do the Lot A.It's by the river so that took my vote.Also did you finish the downtown area?The map looks bigger than I was imaging.Anyway great photoshoppong!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 8:31 AM
Desert Dweller

Nice layout!!! And what's fairly large hill? I'm guessing in that area, its a fairly large hill?

Old Posted Jul 7, 2009, 5:59 PM

Nice grid plan and interesting location between the two rivers. Lot A is definately better for the convention center. It will be more visible there - although the lot demands a building of landmark quality.

Have you named the streets running across the rivers or are they just numbered?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 1:27 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Minor Updates!!

Unfortunately, the art deco hasn't progressed at all, but I intend to work on it during the latter part of the night. The good news is that the Capitol Building has made some progression as I have completed the dome, which was probably the hardest part, but now I've run into a brick wall in designing the rest of the building...sigh.

But I did start work on the convention center, and with the help of your input, I've decided to make it Lot A along the river. I've finished the parking garages and have started work on the full building itself. Let me tell ya, if I can model this the way I can see it in my head, it'll be one of my crowning achievements as a 3D modeler, not that that's saying a whole lot.

Anywho, Convention Center Progress pictures:

Capitol Building Dome w/ part of the building under construction (the bird looks cheesy now, but hopefully in Kerkythea it'll look better when I put a bronze texture on it).

Hope you like!

Anthony

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 1:33 AM

that domed capitol building looks fantastic! its so nice and detailed. is it going to be in the middle of a square? It seems like it would fit perfectly with a few trees around it too... nice work

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup