HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 3:50 PM

Hitting the road in and around Coaticook, QC

This is the small city where I work this summer. Coaticook was founded in 1826. Pop: 9285. The city and the surroundings villages are known for their production of milk and dairy products. Sometimes, Coaticook is refered as the "city of milk". There is even a festival of milk there in the summer. The "Coaticook" ice-cream brand, famous in Quebec, originates from this city. The city is also known for its canyon (la gorge de Coaticook) and its pedestrian bridge.

Coaticook is here.

The other places showcased in this thread are highlited. Martinville and Huntingville are not on the map. Many pictures were taken on the road between those places.

Drought

Coaticook river

Countryside ahead

Long bridge

Purple flowers and cliff

Dry river

Montréal, USA

Coaticook housing

Allée des Marchands

Downtown Coaticook II

Downtown Coaticook I

Truck

View

Beware of cows

Yellow field

Another farm

Yellow

Hitting the road again

Farm and mount Orford

Silos

Tractor

Country house

Kaeslin

Martinville house

Enjoying the view

Dam in Martinville

Martinville

Martinville dam

Grande ligne road

Bird and cloud

Abandonned house II

Abandonned house I

Blue sky

Coaticook/Barford

Martinville church

River

Grande ligne

Mont Hereford

Winding road

Silos

Truck

Grit

Church and view

Coaticook VI

Tombstone

Cemetary

Angel

Coaticook church

Coaticook IV

Uplands

Uplands

Huntingville dam

Woods

Electric line

Cookshire fire truck

Countryside

Sainte-Edwidge church

Accomodation Karine

Historic buildings

Coaticook III

Bridge and canyon

Long bridge

High bridge

Canyon

River

Coaticook I

Bridge from above

Farm on the road

Sainte-Hermenégilde church

Little girl playing

Lonely barn

Scenery

Lilac and view

Dixville accomodation

Dixville house

Dixville church

Lake Wallace (VT on the other side)

Cloudy sky II

Cloudy sky I

Last edited by le calmar; Oct 28, 2010 at 10:13 PM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 3:10 AM

Nice pictures. The Quebec countryside near the border looks amazing.

At least on a map, the parts of Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine might as well be on the edge of the world, since it looks like it's far from American cities, and far from big Canadian cities like Montreal and smaller cities like Sherbrooke. Does this part of Quebec feel like the edge of a frontier with the wild and sparsely-populated American lands on the other side of the border?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 8:27 AM
ledru rollin

Beautiful photos of an idyllic place. Much like we see while traveling between NYC and Montréal.

Thanks le calmar!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 1:21 PM

Coaticook is a nice little city and there are some nice villages nearby, but I wouldn't call this place "idyllic". It's probably the least interesting area of the southern Eastern Townships. I wanted to show it anyways because I spend the summer in the region, but some more interesting threads showing other areas such as the Lake Memphremagog, Haut-Saint-François and Mount Megantic will probably follow this summer. Things are starting to be more interesting when you enter the Appalachian foothills (shown on the map) with nice towns such as East Hereford or St-Venant-de-Paquette, but unfortunately I couldn't take pics of this area. The further you go East, the less populated the area is. 50 km east of Coaticook you enter the wilderness and the population is very sparse all the way to Lac-Mégantic, a small remote city close to Maine border. This area is so isolated that the people living in NW Maine go there for shopping, since it's the only city around. Apparently Stephen King go there sometimes! It is a very beautiful area though, since the White Mountains extend all the way up there. It is little-known but you can find gold in the rivers there. There used to be gold mines too, some are open to the visitors. I know the area well since I have familiy in Chartierville, a little town by the NH border.

So, yes, this place is very remote, Coaticook not that much, but once you cross the border you end up in a no-man's land... But things are a little different on this side of the border I think. Yes, everyone is aware that it is a no-man's land, but if I speak for myself I know that the populated areas of the USA lies ahead, it's only a 3 hours drive to Boston from the border, and the ocean is ahead too. (important for someone living in a continental part of Quebec) So I don't feel so much remote and I just enjoy the ride and the nice landscape until I reach civilization down there. That's strange but I do feel isolated on the canadian side, but once I cross the border I don't feel this way anymore, even though the northern VT, NH or ME are even more isolated.

Last edited by le calmar; Jun 23, 2010 at 3:31 PM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 5:36 PM

Beautiful shots. I love rural, farmland places like this. My ex is from Massachusetts and has an aunt by marriage from the southern part Quebec, near the US border, and he used to go with her up there as a child to visit her family. He likes nature so he always enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2010, 7:18 PM

Great stuff. This is one of my favorite parts of Canada. Crossing from from NH to QC is probably the most striking transition on the US-Canadian border.

I really like how the Eastern Townships are relatively flat and agricultural, yet still have mountains.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2010, 1:57 AM

I drove through this area several years ago. Your pictures are really nice, and they bring back some memories. The transition from wealthy farmland with big tractors and nice farmhouses to basically nothing on the other side of the border was very striking.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2010, 11:09 PM
3rd Coast King

very good pics. what kind of camera and lenses were you using here?

My Book

Old Posted Jul 1, 2010, 12:24 AM

I'm glad you liked the pics. The camera is a Canon EOS 50D and the only lense I used is a 18-200 mm.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos