HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 5:21 AM
Meh

Yeah, I wasn't sure about it. I had a feeling it wasn't Cosmopolitan. 1200 Post Oak is 359 feet tall, so The Titan looks like it's around 450 or so with the spire. Should be nice, spires are pretty rare in Houston.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavis4559 View Post
The city is considering plans to bring a second convention center hotel to downtown, in an effort to take Houston one step closer to becoming a top convention destination.http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...n/5473167.html
For a long time, I've heard that downtown has too many hotel rooms. It's a good sign that the city-sponsored hotel is filling up at might. Maybe the city fathers are getting some nice revenues off it...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 2:59 PM
Endless Moments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeelee View Post
nice
Yup very nice...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 3:52 PM
H-town Baller

I had no idea that the Titan would/could be that tall with the Spire. It makes sense now that I think about it but I'd never really considered it until Kevin pointed it out.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 4:09 PM
Baryonic Lord

There was an insert in one of the magazines they have at the Central Market regarding the titan. It was in color I think and had some views. I threw it away by mistake. On the other hand Avrim Baykal is cute though. Next time I'm there I will check to see if they still have it.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 4:16 PM

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 4:58 PM
FYHA

Only 20 more floors to go!

I'm interested in seeing how those penthouse level outdoor pools are built on The Titan. I'm curious about the engineering issues, even though it does look like there's a larger seperation between the regular floors and the penthouse levels.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 6:00 PM

That's One Park Place, right? Anyone know what the move-in rental rate PSF might be?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 7:36 PM
Baryonic Lord

I don't think they are for rent...

amirite?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 7:55 PM

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 8:11 PM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeelee View Post
I don't think they are for rent...

amirite?
It's an apartment building.

I'm not certain if they've figured out the Cost PSF at the moment, but they've said in the past that most of the costs should be figured and the first demo model should be complete by summer.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattleigh View Post
It's an apartment building.

I'm not certain if they've figured out the Cost PSF at the moment, but they've said in the past that most of the costs should be figured and the first demo model should be complete by summer.
Cool. Thanks! Here's the website for anyone who wants a better idea of what the finished product will look like:

http://www.oneparkplacehouston.com/

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 10:30 PM
Baryonic Lord

Ah ok... Rent huh? Strange...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 9:30 PM

Maybe because of the tightening credit market it is luxury rental.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 9:54 PM
Baryonic Lord

Hrm...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 10:43 PM

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 12:51 AM
Baryonic Lord

nice pics...

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 9:50 PM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
Maybe because of the tightening credit market it is luxury rental.
It's been pitched as a rental project over the entirety of it's existence during the past few years. Since the demand is currently on the side of rental DT rather than ownership (Ex: occupancy rate at Houston House around 90%+ at the moment), this should provide some relief to that area's mid/upper level apartment market.

Also, it looks like they've been adding 2-3 floors per month here so it should be a while before it's topped out. Any bets as to when?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 9:51 PM
FYHA

A Medical Mall

Since the article isn't available online to the public, I scanned in the piece from today's business journal.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 9:56 PM
FYHA

Good News about HP!

Jan. 22, 2008, 5:28PM
Developer's gravity-defying design begins to take shape
Retail, office complex slated for October finish

By BETTY L. MARTIN
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Almost a year after the Valentine's Day 2007 ground-breaking on The Houston Pavilions, an entertainment, retail and office complex in downtown Houston, the heavy construction has begun over San Jacinto and Fannin to create its gravity-defying design within seven city blocks.

Ninety-foot-long trusses of 15 to 18 tons recently were carried through the air and put in place by crane. They will become the foundation for part of the mixed-use, $170 million center expected for completion in October.

The center — 360,000 square feet of retail, 200,000 square feet of offices and a parking garage with 1,600 spaces headquartered at 1001 Fannin St. — is already about 65 percent leased, said William Denton, co-developer of the development team with partner Geoff Jones.

Signed up so far to fill the retail space are the House of Blues, Lucky Strike Lanes, Forever 21, Books-A-Million and seven restaurants, including Lawry's, the Prime Rib, McCormick & Schmick's and the Red Cat Jazz Café.

"We have three city blocks under construction now ... (for) a retail building that has a common pedestrian mall running through it. To connect those three city blocks, we have connecting blocks and bridges over the streets," said Denton, who recently moved to the River Oaks area.

The structural trusses and two connecting blocks will support the retail building that is hung from them, as well as support the walkway sky bridges over San Jacinto and Fannin, he said.

The trusses with pedestrian walkways over the major downtown streets will be "a signature of the project, an architecturally designed roof uplighted at night and seen as you drive toward town from either direction, a stunning feature," said Denton, 56.

The Houston Pavilions is similar to a project Denton and Jones developed in downtown Denver, where Denton said he developed the "pavilions concept" in which the retail building projects out to bisect project space.

Architect on the Houston project is Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum; general contractor is Harvey Builders.

The Houston site is particularly fortunate given its neighbors, including Metro's light rail line, a planned central park and the 37-story, 346-unit residential high rise under construction, One Park Place.

Denton first became familiar with Houston when he developed Deer Park and Willowbrook malls in the early 1980s. After seeing Houston's oil-bust decade at close range, Denton left unimpressed. When he returned a quarter of a century later to consider it as a spot for the new project, he found a different, more impressive and more vibrant city.

"A close family friend convinced me at the time to come back to downtown. I was reluctant to come, but when I got here I was pleasantly surprised," Denton said.

That was when Minute Maid Park was still under construction and the Toyota Center was still a dream, "and now we are putting a major component into Houston, the fourth largest city in the country," he said.

The city of Houston and Harris County have provided, in total, $16 million to The Houston Pavilions for infrastructure improvements in the form of cash and future tax abatements.

Denton said he was so impressed with the changes Houston has made over the quarter century he decided live here.

betty.martin@chron.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations