HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 9:31 PM
Community Guy

The arts tower - Edmonton

I love the idea that on their parking lot fronting 97st the Winspear group would develop a mixed use tower.

Basically my tower would have a large 2 storey podium with classroom/rehersal space along with a large 2nd floor banquet hall and outdoor patio.

There would be 1-2 small retail components likely for a coffee shop/sandwhich shop or wine bar.

The tower would be approximately 20 storeys with smaller artist flats in the first 10 floors and market housing on the top 10 with the top 3 having large penthouse units.

There would be a port cochere on the north side of the development for both theartre and condo use.

The tower is a mixture of curtainwall and cement cast walls with a curved glass exoskeleton with steel bracing on both the north and south sides.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 10:16 PM

Not very good

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 10:30 PM
Community Guy

^appreciate the feedback. Reasons why you dont like it?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 10:36 PM

Sorry i was so blunt before

i think the only part that completely takes away from the rest of the model is the windows jutting out randomly. cuz as i observe it more carefully i actually like the basic design. for me the widows just ruin it. otherwise i like it

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 10:40 PM
Community Guy

^haha thanks!

Those are random balconies jetting out for this is beside our arts district and i personally feel the tower needs to convey a sense of creativity and playfulness, not far from what arts give back to us kinda thing.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 10:58 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Idk, I like it. The idea of it. The popping out windows seem like a nice feature to me. I like that there are lots of curves on the building to make it seem less boring. I think it would look great if you painted all the windows a really light blue or white but you painted the windows popping out with a random pattern of red, yellow, blue, and green.

The two curved sidewalls would just need windows colored lightblue or white as well but make those walls concrete colored.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 11:04 PM
World Machine

It isn't doing much for me. If I were walking down the street and happen to run into it, I'd question what exactly it is? Why it's there? Don't take this the wrong way, but I think it looks sloppy.

It's just not my taste in architecture. What I might think looks bad may look amazing to another. I, for the most part, admire your designs, but this is one that I simply don't care for.

Again, no offense intended. When I'm asked to give my true opinion, I'm always fearful that It'll come off to harsh.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 11:11 PM
Community Guy

^we all have our subjective sides:>

WRT the "questioning of it" while you walk down the street...i personally think architecture should make you think, ponder, admire, inspire, and question.

cheers

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 3:14 AM
Registered Lurker

I honestly love it! I know it's different, but something about it is attractive. The main tower with the random protruding balconies makes me think of a computer chip. For that, I think of the building as something very modern. It would probably have a lot of high tech incorporated within it.

I would like to see you finish this model, because while the others may not like it, I really really like it. It's futuristic and artistic.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 3:51 PM

I really like this one Cold...the "jutting out windows" that you said are balconies, I would like to see a little more detail on the model to show its balconies (especially since the top three floors look like they'd have 12+' tall railings if it's balconies - or, would these be more like sunroom like most condos in Van uses?)...kinda hard to tell. I wonder too, if it could be "jutting out" a little less randomly? Would you see these balconies using different shades of glass compared to the actual set-back windows?

I really like the concept - just be nice to see with some sample textures/colours. I really like the looks of the podium as well, especially the half-circle entrance.

In the last (bottom) picture, would those windows actually have doors as well? Street-level retail?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 11:44 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

I would still like this tower being panted in random colors since it's called the Arts Tower and it would fit the design.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 2:25 AM
Registered Lurker

I think a good color scheme would be a gradient of black through blue to white going up the balconies. and black glass throughout.

Old Posted May 11, 2008, 12:52 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

I think it's not too shabby although for the Winspear I always thought of a more European podium base with a long, thin tower ala The Westin annex would work for that site.. Sort of a curvy wraparound structure to fill out the street scape and bring it alive. I took a walk up and back down 97th today and it's a real dead zone architecturally and culturally. On the west side it's the daunting scale of the 80's megablocks and on the east side are small, friendly looking buildings that unfortunately haven't been maintained...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup