HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 8, 2021, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestAustinite View Post
What I want to know is what boneheads at the city signed a 40 year lease for operating the South Terminal when they surely knew they would be expanding the airport and mow down the South Terminal buildings in the not-so-distant future.
I guess you have not been following the airport for that long. At the time, the previous research suggested the new terminal would be built at the south end of the airport property. The "South" terminal is actually square in the middle. It wasn't until a few years ago when the new master plan was finished that the long term plan shifted to a centralized expansion that would expand to the central part of the port near where the current "south" terminal is.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 1:42 AM

New route announcement from Southwest. Tulsa has turned into a competitive market from Austin. https://www.fox23.com/news/southwest...HLZIO4PWB6GTQ/

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 8:13 PM

Council Member Fuentes is trying to pass an item to open a process that would edit the master plan.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Council Member Fuentes is trying to pass an item to open a process that would edit the master plan.
Yay more potential delays to a master plan that is desperately needed now. We need gates badly.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonh2479 View Post
Yay more potential delays to a master plan that is desperately needed now. We need gates badly.
Yea, some neighbors don't like that a fuel barn is planned literally adjacent to the west runway. Next thing they're going to ask to get rid of the runway.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2021, 8:51 PM

Smile

Quote:
Yea, some neighbors don't like that a fuel barn is planned literally adjacent to the west runway. Next thing they're going to ask to get rid of the runway.
I saw that as well, the airport needs the fuel storage so I’m sure the plan for the fuel barn will go ahead once the complainants get their 15 seconds of fame. It does get frustrating though having delay after delay, just part of the process I guess. I would imagine the West terminal infill will be able to proceed with little to no issue at least.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 4:04 AM

NIMBYs suck, universally and without exception.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 2:55 PM
World Traveler

The Statesman has a photo showing where the proposed tanks are to be located - note: across 183 from McCall Ln. If they were on the same side of 183 and just across McCall Ln from their homes, this would be a different story. The fact that they're going to be on existing airport property and everything has gone through the various approval processes (including environmental, etc.), I don't see the issue here. The window for public comments for the airport was fairly long and thorough, in my opinion...

Edit: forgot to add the article: https://www.statesman.com/story/news...in/6027042001/

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 6:41 PM

good for them I hope they get their money

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
good for them I hope they get their money

What money? It's on airport property between a runway and a highway. Seems like a reasonable place.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 7:33 PM

It's on airport property, has FAA approval, and was first planned four years ago. They have no case.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
It's on airport property, has FAA approval, and was first planned four years ago. They have no case.
then this should be over in very short order!

i hate it when poor minorities bitch about living less than 500' away from 3 million gallons of jet fuel! ugh! did they not read the master plan?! are they not aware of faa and environmental approval?! like hello!! if they don't like then go live somewhere else! NIMBYS!!!1!!

lmao at the absolute state of this forum sometimes

Old Posted Dec 10, 2021, 9:03 PM

Quote:

i hate it when poor minorities bitch about living less than 500' away from 3 million gallons of jet fuel! ugh! did they not read the master plan?! are they not aware of faa and environmental approval?! like hello!! if they don't like then go live somewhere else! NIMBYS!!!1!!

I used to live at the Royal Palms Trailer Park at 183 and 71 back in the 80s. I'm going to go out on a limb and say many of those nimbys today were there at that time also. We endured the AFB and the f4 sorties at 2 in the morning. No one could or did complain because it was cheap to live there at the time. I give 'em a pass because they were there before ABIA and they feel like their longtime homesteads are being what they feel is threatened. If you haven't been out there, it doesn't scream luxury. They are just trying to get by modestly. If I still lived out there, I might be standing with them albeit for a losing cause.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 2:03 AM

Quote:

Forget the master plan. It’s moving next to an airfield that’s been there almost 80 years and being surprised that those airplanes are going to need fuel.

And no, no one lives “less than 500’ away”. That’s a complete lie.

Last edited by Novacek; Dec 11, 2021 at 2:22 AM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Forget the master plan. It’s moving next to an airfield that’s been there almost 80 years and being surprised that those airplanes are going to need fuel.

Yep, the fuel is an essential part of the airport’s future and placed in a reasonable area on the field. Their complaint will do nothing, jet fuel is some of if not the safest fuel to be around that I am aware of.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 3:47 PM
Frontal Lobe Technician

It's theater, and it's ridiculous.

However, it will not stop or even delay the project so whatevs.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2021, 1:53 PM
Old West Austin

Quote:
I guess you have not been following the airport for that long. At the time, the previous research suggested the new terminal would be built at the south end of the airport property. The "South" terminal is actually square in the middle. It wasn't until a few years ago when the new master plan was finished that the long term plan shifted to a centralized expansion that would expand to the central part of the port near where the current "south" terminal is.
Makes sense now. Thanks for explaining.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post

the quote below is from the statesman article. they also state that amanda carillo, the woman featured in the article, lives 700' away.

"The airport, managed by the city of Austin, said residents were notified of the project in 2017 and 2018 through mailings, community meetings and signs placed in the area. Most recently, on April 2, a notice of the site plan for the tank farm by the city's Development Services Department was sent to property owners and residents with Austin utility account addresses within 500 feet of the development."

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 5:54 PM

Quote:
What money? It's on airport property between a runway and a highway. Seems like a reasonable place.
Those residents will whine loud enough in the media to the CoA so the CC will buy them out like the Onion Creek neighborhood.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
Those residents will whine loud enough in the media to the CoA so the CC will buy them out like the Onion Creek neighborhood.
We probably should if they want to be bought out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin