HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Cunard in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
Mark your ballot accordingly.
In Ottawa he'd be near the bottom of the Nova Scotia pecking order with Regan at the top followed by Bryson then Eyking & Cuzner.
I wonder what his views are re climate change and the impact on coastal Nova Scotia. I would advise him to visit BIO and Dal.

Funny thing, I didn't mind him when he was working on HRMxD even though I think he pandered a bit too much to the heritage/anti-height interests, but in the time since I have lowered my opinion of him for a few reasons. First, his cultivation of an image that he was some kind of savior/planning guru when in reality there is not really any such thing; second, his constant changing of jobs, suggesting that he is either overly ambitious or not quite what he seems; and finally, the decision to try and be a politician, which significantly lowers my opinion of him. Honestly, is there a profession that has a worse image these days?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 2:22 AM

Quote:
In Ottawa he'd be near the bottom of the Nova Scotia pecking order with Regan at the top followed by Bryson then Eyking & Cuzner.
I wonder what his views are re climate change and the impact on coastal Nova Scotia. I would advise him to visit BIO and Dal.
From his other progressive views on just about everything urban, I would think he absolutely believes in Climate Change and would support efforts to battle it.

FWIW, I like Megan AND Andy, both are great. Sad they're fighting over the same federal riding, as they could be a good team to battle for urban Halifax infrastructure funds in Ottawa.

But otherwise, I do think he'd be more valuable to the City at WDCL, pushing forward their many waterfront projects.

In contrast to Megan and Andy, I think most of our Provincial Politicians are a bunch of buffoons. Retrograde, dumb, uncreative, Anti-Halifax, clueless, ban everything new, ban everything different, throw good money at bad, politics-as-usual BS, etc.

Last edited by counterfactual; Jul 14, 2015 at 2:52 AM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 2:32 AM

Quote:
He was head of the planning department at Dal a couple years ago and coastal planning/climate change mitigation is definitely a hot topic there. He's also a high-up at the WDCL so I'm pretty confident he knows what's up regarding climate change and coastal issues.

BIO should really make themselves better known. I've never been there myself, but from what I've heard there's quite a bit of interesting stuff there that the public can access.

I'd be happy to see him or Leslie win (she's an exceptionally good MP) but I agree that he'd probably get more done in Halifax than in Ottawa at this point. Whereas Leslie I could actually see as a successor to Mulcair and a very prominent MP in the relatively near future. I tend to agree with both of them on most issues though.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
He was head of the planning department at Dal a couple years ago and coastal planning/climate change mitigation is definitely a hot topic there. He's also a high-up at the WDCL so I'm pretty confident he knows what's up regarding climate change and coastal issues.

BIO should really make themselves better known. I've never been there myself, but from what I've heard there's quite a bit of interesting stuff there that the public can access.

I'd be happy to see him or Leslie win (she's an exceptionally good MP) but I agree that he'd probably get more done in Halifax than in Ottawa at this point. Whereas Leslie I could actually see as a successor to Mulcair and a very prominent MP in the relatively near future. I tend to agree with both of them on most issues though.
If he is up to speed on climate change he should be telling council and WDC why waterfront development is a bad idea across HRM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 4:13 AM

It's not necessarily a bad idea, it just has to be done right.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 12:29 PM

I suppose in the worst-case scenario, Halifax is somewhat better off than many coastal cities--we're not like Boston, which is built on massive amounts of landfill, or like New Orleans, which is basically in a swamp between the ocean and a tidal estuary, or or like New York, which is low-lying and exposed to the open ocean.

We could, theoretically, build a Dutch-style dike-and-dam system from Eastern Passage to Herring Cove, and protect the city.

Of course, ideally, we simply prevent extreme sea-level rise.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Of course, ideally, we simply prevent extreme sea-level rise.

Yeah, because WE can do that. Right.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 1:38 PM

I won't be around to see any of this and I don't have grandchildren ( as yet ) but it is a good read : http://www.theguardian.com/environme...climate-change

As my gran used to say " I'm glad I'm on my way out ", usually uttered after some news she regarded as shocking and is somewhat surprising considering she was a smoker and had lived through the depression and two world wars.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 3:19 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
It's not necessarily a bad idea, it just has to be done right.
I seem to remember reading that the Cunard block proposal will be built to handle decades of sea level rise.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I seem to remember reading that the Cunard block proposal will be built to handle decades of sea level rise.
That's not a very long time. Building over by the Nova Scotia Hospital makes more sense.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Design must take into account a) sea level rise, b) storm surge c) high tide, all of which combined to hammer NY and NJ in October 2012.
Juan in 2003 made quite a mess of the Dartmouth waterfront : http://www.ec.gc.ca/ouragans-hurrica...n&n=7F6A2F44-1

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Design must take into account a) sea level rise, b) storm surge c) high tide, all of which combined to hammer NY and NJ in October 2012.
Juan in 2003 made quite a mess of the Dartmouth waterfront : http://www.ec.gc.ca/ouragans-hurrica...n&n=7F6A2F44-1
I guess we should all beat the rush and evacuate now.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
From his other progressive views on just about everything urban, I would think he absolutely believes in Climate Change and would support efforts to battle it.

FWIW, I like Megan AND Andy, both are great. Sad they're fighting over the same federal riding, as they could be a good team to battle for urban Halifax infrastructure funds in Ottawa.

But otherwise, I do think he'd be more valuable to the City at WDCL, pushing forward their many waterfront projects.

In contrast to Megan and Andy, I think most of our Provincial Politicians are a bunch of buffoons. Retrograde, dumb, uncreative, Anti-Halifax, clueless, ban everything new, ban everything different, throw good money at bad, politics-as-usual BS, etc.

Y'see, when I read him posting crap like THIS I lose all respect for him. He hasn't got a dog in this fight, so why post partisan BS?

@AndyFillmoreHFX #DartmouthSouth: failed @NSNDP experiment added $2b to NS debt, creating budget crisis @NSLiberal is working to fix. Vote @Dartmouth_Tim!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Y'see, when I read him posting crap like THIS I lose all respect for him. He hasn't got a dog in this fight, so why post partisan BS?

@AndyFillmoreHFX #DartmouthSouth: failed @NSNDP experiment added $2b to NS debt, creating budget crisis @NSLiberal is working to fix. Vote @Dartmouth_Tim!
Well, the NS NDP *were* a total disaster.

I think the Provincial Liberals are also idiots, but at least they're not giving away the farm and attacking education as much as the NDP. And they're probably less Anti-Halifax than the NS NDP, which is ironic given that the NS NDP were always mostly Halifax-based party.

But overall, still idiots. Just slightly less so.

And Andy has to tow the line either way. It's politics. I get it.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post

It;s the usual partisan nonsense. I'm friends with card-carrying liberals and card-carrying NDP members, and I lean more left, but I still can't get into a political conversation with any of them. It's always "everything our guys do is good, everything the other guys do is the worst".

From all sides. Absolutely no one can bring themselves to acknowledge when, perhaps, another party or individual politician may have a good idea which is worth collaborating on. It's tremendously off-putting to anyone (and intellectually simple-minded) to anyone who isn't dogmatically party-aligned (i.e., most people).

Anyway, I'll defend the NDP, though their time in office certainly wasn't perfect. The very right-wing Fraser Institute even ranked Dexter as one of the most fiscally responsible premiers in Canada. The reaction to their mistakes was beyond over-the-top, and I'm not sure what Fillmore means when saying the NDP added $2 billion to the debt, given that they oversaw the addition of $800 million to the debt, as well as the one of the biggest budget surpluses in the province's history.

Beats the McNeil government's obsession with slashing spending regardless of the consequences, to the point that they're making idiotic cuts (like gutting film-tax credit) that will, probably, end up having negative financial implications for the province and government revenues in just a few years. But boy, they're desperate to post a balanced budget.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
It;s the usual partisan nonsense. I'm friends with card-carrying liberals and card-carrying NDP members, and I lean more left, but I still can't get into a political conversation with any of them. It's always "everything our guys do is good, everything the other guys do is the worst".

From all sides. Absolutely no one can bring themselves to acknowledge when, perhaps, another party or individual politician may have a good idea which is worth collaborating on. It's tremendously off-putting to anyone (and intellectually simple-minded) to anyone who isn't dogmatically party-aligned (i.e., most people).

Anyway, I'll defend the NDP, though their time in office certainly wasn't perfect. The very right-wing Fraser Institute even ranked Dexter as one of the most fiscally responsible premiers in Canada. The reaction to their mistakes was beyond over-the-top, and I'm not sure what Fillmore means when saying the NDP added $2 billion to the debt, given that they oversaw the addition of $800 million to the debt, as well as the one of the biggest budget surpluses in the province's history.

Beats the McNeil government's obsession with slashing spending regardless of the consequences, to the point that they're making idiotic cuts (like gutting film-tax credit) that will, probably, end up having negative financial implications for the province and government revenues in just a few years. But boy, they're desperate to post a balanced budget.
McNeil has made stupid decisions, but I thought the NDP's education policies were the absolute worst. Somehow they managed to be both neo-liberal AND faux populist. They closed elementary schools all over the province, and also gutted higher education funding by about 3% a year, year over year, from the beginning of time in office, until they were turfed.

Meanwhile, they put a tuition freeze for several years (while cutting education funding!) which really killed our universities, which are among the few NS institutions that punch above their weight nationally and internationally.

NDP were straight up anti-education. And while they were closing schools and gutting higher education, they were ramping up healthcare spending like there's no tomorrow. Health care is already half of our budget; and rather than tackling our (obviously out of control health spending), Dexter just piled it on, while nickle and diming other parts of the budget. Gut universities/schools. Move government departments out of Halifax (inefficient, costly, and stupid).

NDP were just another pro-Boomer, anti-youth party. Same as the NS Liberals, just they attack other young sectors (media/entertainment).

This is why they're all idiots, but at least Liberals have actually increased education funding, one of the few things governments do for young people in this province.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 4:15 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Agree, Andy has been huge in helping build our city.

With any luck, he'll probably lose to Leslie and he can go back to making Halifax better.
I think he could/would contribute more to Halifax as an MP.

Leslie is focused on issues that are more relevant to Albertans than Haligonians. If anything, our natural environment has improved given municipal and provincial changes over the past 30 years that have led to a significantly cleaner harbour, appropriate waste diversion, and more green building. On the other hand, the obstructionist ilk have contributed to urban sprawl with their anti density campaigns (the biggest irony discussed on this board).

We need a fresh MP who can draw the connection between Halifax and Ottawa.

With regards to this development... Climate change is certainly real and poses a major threat to coastal areas. That being said, I'm not sure what the modelling looks like for Halifax... pre-existing developments will likely be impacted in a major way. From what I've read, we've passed the point of no return on the sea level rising. Maybe a Dutch barrier solution is the only way.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 12:54 PM
armchairitect

Quote:

NDP were just another pro-Boomer, anti-youth party. Same as the NS Liberals, just they attack other young sectors (media/entertainment).
Because young people don't vote, the block is easy to discount when making decisions. Its better to appeal to the boomers who will re-elect you, then the young who wont show up at the polls.

the lesson here is that young adults need to show up to the polls. there individual vote may not count for much, but as a block, they are letting there parents interests prevail over their own.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 1:29 PM

http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/mag...ax_harbour.asp

clicking on the map of Halifax shows the projected sea level rise and strom surge.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2015, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
Because young people don't vote, the block is easy to discount when making decisions. Its better to appeal to the boomers who will re-elect you, then the young who wont show up at the polls.

the lesson here is that young adults need to show up to the polls. there individual vote may not count for much, but as a block, they are letting there parents interests prevail over their own.
You're absolutely right, the politics is easy to explain.

Except that it's massively irresponsible with the demographic ticking time-bomb this province is facing, with an aging population and young people leaving by the thousand every year.

The Nova Scotia Political Class is basically driving this province off a cliff, slowly. It's painful because we can all see it happen, but are helpless to stop it. I thought the Ivany Report would actually change things. It really hasn't.

Things will eventually change, they have to. But it will likely be at the 11th hour, and lead to more upheaval than if politicians were more responsible and acted now for the good of the province's future, rather than political expediency.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth