HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 9:47 PM
Ex Houstonian

^^^
Add more text, where? I added pretty much all of the words that were on the buildings. If its just a stucco facade im not going to add a texture to it because if every single building has a texture than I am afraid that the map will be too large and take too long to load whenever you move it around.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 11:27 PM

Aw, good point. By text I mean the 311 on the brick one and the adress/phone number one the law firm one.

the brick one has alot of other little things, like the lining around the windows, the tile on the entry and the different style at the top half. Im just trying to make it as authintic as possible.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 1:31 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin55 View Post
Aw, good point. By text I mean the 311 on the brick one and the adress/phone number one the law firm one.

the brick one has alot of other little things, like the lining around the windows, the tile on the entry and the different style at the top half. Im just trying to make it as authintic as possible.
Thanks dude, yeah I didnt even notice it was missing those things. I had put them on there but I did stuff to the faces and they dissapeared but I readded them. Thanks for pointing that out.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2008, 7:05 PM
Ex Houstonian

A new update of Russellville.

I just finished a bunch of stuff and got started on one of the churches downtown. I had to go and get the blueprints for it considering that it is too large for me to accurately measure. Getting the blueprints was a pain in the butt though.

A few buildings I recently finished the fronts to. The emporium is the oldest jewelry store in Arkansas and was built around 1888 or so.

Just started rendering the new church building

Very slowly downtown is coming together. Probably still have about a years worth of work ahead of me to get it completely finished

Old Posted Dec 12, 2008, 2:40 AM

Wow, that looks really good.
Transportation. http://trinity-bay.myminicity.com/tra

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 11:04 PM
Ex Houstonian

Finally, an update again. So far I have logged well over 300 hours on this project in the past 5 months. Its taking forever to complete. It will probably be another year before I am done, maybe even longer. Anyways, here is some new pictures.

Last edited by photoLith; Dec 21, 2013 at 11:28 PM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 11:08 PM

a lot of detail and hours going into this. Good job

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 3:52 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that as time goes on you'll be able to add even more details to your model. I really like that you're making a small town.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 8:05 PM
Ex Houstonian

Russellville is starting to look more complete, at least the facades are. The real pain is going to be doing the back of the buildings and the roofs. Getting them accurate is very hard to do. I also have to account for elevation changes and stuff and had to do a bunch of the model over again, uhg. Anyways, here are some new updates and what not.

C and D Drug Store, the oldest drug store in Arkansas, built 1877. It was one of the only buildings downtown to survive the fire of 1906.

Any suggestions anyone? They would be greatly appreciated.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 5:38 PM

I really love these detailed buildings! This is a 3d model I'd really like to walk in. My only suggestion is that keep modeling this, please!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 2:16 AM
Ex Houstonian

Some new stuff

Building on the right was from about 7 months ago, it was my first building I had made for this model. Since then, I have improved much. The building on the left is the building redone.

The River Valley Beauty College

Another building I have done over again.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 6:22 AM
Desert Dweller

Afreakinmazing.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 6:30 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Wow! Awesome improvement! Everything is starting to looks more complete and realistic. Well done!

Can't wait to see more. I'd love to live in a small town like Russellville and bring every old building back to life with condo's, new stores, etc.. etc...

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 7:03 AM
Ex Houstonian

Im pretty sure youde hate living here, the downtown might have nice buildings but it breaks my heart. 3 of them are for sure going to come crashing down within the next 5 years due to the same owners neglect. There is one woman who owns 6 buildings downtown and each one she owns is utterly falling apart. One will most likely fall out into the street quite soon. The entire front facade of one of her buildings is falling out into the street and the only thing preventing it from happening is one cable. I cant stand it why somebody who would own these beautiful buildings would just not care and let them rot. But thats the problem in the rural south, nobody cares really about the history of a place like they do in the north, west, and east. Breaks my heart to see these buildings I care so much about fall to pieces due to uncultured people.

Last edited by photoLith; Dec 21, 2013 at 11:29 PM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2009, 6:12 PM

Wonderfully detailed! Keep going, I want to see this finished!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 12:24 AM
Closed account

sooo are you going to finish this?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 6:00 PM
Ex Houstonian

Yeah, eventually. It will take me about another year or so to do so. I just finished two more facades yesterday and am now starting on the backsides and roofs of some of the buildings. I still have about 20 more facades to finish though and then the backsides will take about 6 months to complete. Dont forget that I am making this to be the most accurate model of Russellville for the historic society that they will possibly ever have. I am having problems with it though since the file size now is huge and it takes forever to load the textures. I will have to find a way to make the entire model a smaller file size or something. Luckily I am making each building individually though so even if the full model is huge, at least I will have smaller file sizes for each individual block or building.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 6:14 PM

insane attention to detail....ten out of ten

Old Posted Mar 9, 2009, 12:04 PM
Closed account

when are you going to do a new post on this. It is a great little town and it nice

Old Posted Mar 13, 2009, 1:20 AM
Ex Houstonian

An update, its been a while, been working hard on this though and school!

The Shinn Building, the oldest commercial left in Russellville, built in 1875.

Second side of C and D drugstore. Oldest continuous drugstore location in the state. The building was built in 1877 and was the only building on that block that survived the fire of 1906.

To make this model 100% accurate I had to include elevation change also. Its a pain in the butt to get accurate but Im pulling it off. The only thing that sucks is that the model is getting really freakin huge now and my computer almost blows up whenever I open the full thing. Sucks.

Started modeling the county courthouse. A beautiful art deco building built in 32. This one is going to take a good month or more to render.

A picture I obviously didnt take from the late 70s I believe of the courthouse. Still looks the same today luckily. The rest of downtown didnt fare as well though.

This photo comes from the late 40s or so. Its at the peak of downtown Russellville and the buildings I have outlined in red have subsequently been destroyed and the ones in blue will most likely fall down soon. The ones outlined in green have been restored or about to be restored. Its really a shame what has been lost.

The rest of downtown, most of the west side was destroyed. Everything, replaced by parking lots and 2 crappy 80s buildings.

Last edited by photoLith; Mar 13, 2009 at 1:47 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup