HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 9:39 PM
Urbane observer

When did I ever defend the design of those flats on Wells St.? I tried to persuade the developer to use a more traditional parti but he never responded.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
When did I ever defend the design of those flats on Wells St.? I tried to persuade the developer to use a more traditional parti but he never responded.
Receipts:

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 10:15 PM

Question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
You're really going in on this design for someone who recently defended this:

You got something against street level activation?
Answer:

Quote:
The upside-down dividers/columns that get wider as they go up seem especially disrepectful to a work of honest structure like Willis.

And wouldn't a traditional 42-inch masonry-clad wall, strengthened within, be a much better way to shield against vehicles than installing a bollard in the public way every 30 inches around the entire block? Once the baseboard heating and conduit raceways and trash cans and cup storage cubbys go in those retail spaces, there's not going to be any point in having the plate glass pretend to meet the sidewalk.
Honestly? You are complaining about being "disrespectful of an honest structure like Willis" and then suggesting that a 42 in masonry wall should be used? Nothing cries "structural expression" like 42" happy utility brick bases! No wonder he likes the fortress on Wells and not the new Willis base.

Perhaps this is more what Mr. D is thinking?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 10:55 PM
Chicago picture-taker

1001 West Chicago

Let's lighten the mood with some photos of pretty colors!

1001 West Chicago Goes Green http://wp.me/p7uLxw-28A

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
The upside-down dividers/columns that get wider as they go up seem especially disrepectful to a work of honest structure like Willis.

And wouldn't a traditional 42-inch masonry-clad wall, strengthened within, be a much better way to shield against vehicles than installing a bollard in the public way every 30 inches around the entire block? Once the baseboard heating and conduit raceways and trash cans and cup storage cubbys go in those retail spaces, there's not going to be any point in having the plate glass pretend to meet the sidewalk.
Bollards along sidewalks are the future of city streets, whether people like them or not. Not a valid criticism of the architectural design

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 4:23 AM
All-American City Boy

I like the new base will add some height right at the sidewalk and will have a black metal that goes with the Sears tower better than the pink stone that surrounds the base right now. But that rendering looks like a mix of all kinds of different designs slapped together. Would have been better with something more uniform and elegant.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 5:41 AM

Langham Hotel was named the #1 Luxury Hotel in the US by US News for 2017.

http://travel.usnews.com/Hotels/USA/

1. Langham
14. The Penninsula
18. Four Seasons
20. Waldorf Astoria
26. Trump International
136. Park Hyatt
138. Ritz-Carlton
219. The Thompson

etc

Last edited by marothisu; Feb 3, 2017 at 5:52 AM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Then I'm glad they further refined the initial design:
I felt similarly when I saw it. SOM's original addition to the Sears Tower, the barrel ceilinged entry pavilion, was much more harmonious. But I'm ok with this if it activates this otherwise very sterile area.

But what software is used to combine jagged-edged images (or to trim them into having jagged edges) ?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 12:27 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
Also, I find it interesting that he talks about disrespect of the Sears tower's design, and then calls it "Willis Tower". What kind of Chicagoan are you? (I kid I kid.... only sorta)
Considering Sears abandoned the tower and abandoned Chicago, I have no qualms about calling it Willis Tower. No need to give free advertising to a company that ultimately ran away from the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
I felt similarly when I saw it. SOM's original addition to the Sears Tower, the barrel ceilinged entry pavilion, was much more harmonious. But I'm ok with this if it activates this otherwise very sterile area.

But what software is used to combine jagged-edged images (or to trim them into having jagged edges) ?
Photoshop and Gimp can both do that.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 2:32 PM

Another FYI, the next phase of that "Wicker Park Connection" project is underway. Revcon is on site drilling away. Division and Ashland is sure becoming quite the little node. The church facadectomy on Ashland is also moving full steam ahead.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 2:43 PM
Chicago picture-taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Another FYI, the next phase of that "Wicker Park Connection" project is underway. Revcon is on site drilling away. Division and Ashland is sure becoming quite the little node. The church facadectomy on Ashland is also moving full steam ahead.
Thanks for the heads-up. Activated the ol' triple zoom to see a caisson rig, lower left.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Considering Sears abandoned the tower and abandoned Chicago, I have no qualms about calling it Willis Tower. No need to give free advertising to a company that ultimately ran away from the city.

Photoshop and Gimp can both do that.
Just because the current owners decided to prostitute the name of the greatest skyscraper in north america for money does not mean i need to call it that. Just like i would never call the Hancock anything else either.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 4:40 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Just because the current owners decided to prostitute the name of the greatest skyscraper in north america for money does not mean i need to call it that. Just like i would never call the Hancock anything else either.
Exactly where I'm coming from, but I guess it's old fashioned to put some respek on a building's name.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 4:43 PM
Urbane observer

^Is there a list somewhere of objects whose names cannot be changed, even by their owners? Do you usually enter Sears Tower through the Market Street entrance, or walk over from the Ravenswood Line?

It seems like an odd attitude to take on a forum that otherwise exhibits an Asperger's-level obsession over changes to marketing names—or a six-inch change in height figure—for new buildings.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 4:47 PM
you know where I'll be

H2O Site Redevelopment

Someone posted recently renderings of the redesign of this Buck/Lend Lease West Loop proposal, architecture by GREC (for some reason, can't find that original post now).....I think it looks fantastic.....would be very happy if this is what's approved and built.....

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 5:02 PM
Chicago picture-taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Someone posted recently renderings of the redesign of this Buck/Lend Lease West Loop proposal, architecture by GREC (for some reason, can't find that original post now).....I think it looks fantastic.....would be very happy if this is what's approved and built.....
DNAInfo has a couple renderings https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...t-john-buck-co

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 6:04 PM

Quote:
^Is there a list somewhere of objects whose names cannot be changed, even by their owners? Do you usually enter Sears Tower through the Market Street entrance, or walk over from the Ravenswood Line?

It seems like an odd attitude to take on a forum that otherwise exhibits an Asperger's-level obsession over changes to marketing names—or a six-inch change in height figure—for new buildings.
Wrigley Field.....and.....um....that's all i can think of.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 6:17 PM

Per Wikipedia, Willis Group Holdings obtained the naming rights to the tower in 2009, and the naming rights are valid for 15 years. So in 2024 it's possible the tower's name will change again. If no one buys the naming rights, perhaps the tower's owners will decide to call it the Sears Tower.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 6:37 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
This discussion should be moved to the highrise thread as this will be the 15 story phase of the project:

https://www.google.com/amp/chicago.c...r-construction

Last edited by The Lurker; Feb 3, 2017 at 6:40 PM. Reason: Bad image link

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 6:51 PM
Chicago picture-taker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
This discussion should be moved to the highrise thread as this will be the 15 story phase of the project:

https://www.google.com/amp/chicago.c...r-construction
We keep mentioning "phase" but this is a new development, not a phase of Centrum Wicker Park next door. Same developer and architect (Centrum/Hirsch) but separate projects. Sorry to be that guy; I'll take the rest of the day off.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development