HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxMtl666 View Post
"Other cities across North America have found that you can achieve a higher density with buildings 4-6 stories in height, than can be achieved in 10-12 storey towers, which need to be separated far enough from one another so that residents are not looking into their neighbours’ windows."

They certainly talk about Moncton....
I would love for them to give some examples of cities that do this on purpose. Unless a city is completely backwards and non-progressive even then with the oppurtunity of a taller office they would take it. I could see them knocking it for its architectural integrity but give me a break on the height.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seely32 View Post
I would love for them to give some examples of cities that do this on purpose. Unless a city is completely backwards and non-progressive even then with the oppurtunity of a taller office they would take it. I could see them knocking it for its architectural integrity but give me a break on the height.
Frankly, it is surprising coming from SJ, the city already have some decent towers. Morever SJ does have not some space downtown as Moncton... I just don`t get it.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 2:03 PM

I can't say I'm surprised. Every time there is word of a new development Uptown, everyone gets all excited that it might mean a great new building or tower, and then the details get released and it is some crappy piece of generic cost-cutting architecture. Let us never forget that this is Saint John, and we'll always choose the cheapest, least-offensive option.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
I can't say I'm surprised. Every time there is word of a new development Uptown, everyone gets all excited that it might mean a great new building or tower, and then the details get released and it is some crappy piece of generic cost-cutting architecture. Let us never forget that this is Saint John, and we'll always choose the cheapest, least-offensive option.
Beige ought to be out official city colour.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 10:03 PM

:: Saint John ::

Taken by Frenchgirl

http://www.flickr.com/photos/french-girl/page2/

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 10:09 PM
Ronald Jack

UNBSJ and Urban Development

UNBSJ students on this S.J. Development Thread...
I recall that a couple of Forum members have mentioned
that they are students. Are any of you attending UNBSJ?
I ask because I have been discussing SJ Urban Renewal in
my history Blog - most recently the contribution of
UNBSJ Sociology Prof. Ellen Drewery. If you wish to read
why she is important to the story in the 60s-70s, go to http://thelostvalley.blogspot.com/ )
I did send several queries to UNBSJ, including two to
the Library. No one from that campus bothered to answer
and I have given up believing that they will.
I am hoping that a UNBSJ student might give me a name
for someone likely to answer an inquiry. I wasn't
hoping for much. Just a span-date for her period of
service and if the library has archived any of her professional writing.
Ideas?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 12:28 AM

I can't recall if this was mentioned somewhere earlier.....

Microtel Inns & Suites to Develop Seven New Hotels in Canada

Microtel Inns & Suites, the award-winning chain of all new-construction economy/limited service hotels, today announced the execution of franchise agreements to develop seven new Microtel Inn & Suites hotels in Canada: two in Ontario including London and Woodstock; and five in Atlantic Canada including Saint John and Moncton, New Brunswick, and Halifax, Dartmouth and Sydney, Nova Scotia.

The two Microtel hotels in Ontario are scheduled to break ground in March 2008 and open next fall. The Atlantic Canada properties are all anticipated to break ground in 2008......

more at
http://www.microtelinn.com/pressroom/release.asp?id=342

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa View Post
I can't recall if this was mentioned somewhere earlier.....

Microtel Inns & Suites to Develop Seven New Hotels in Canada

Microtel Inns & Suites, the award-winning chain of all new-construction economy/limited service hotels, today announced the execution of franchise agreements to develop seven new Microtel Inn & Suites hotels in Canada: two in Ontario including London and Woodstock; and five in Atlantic Canada including Saint John and Moncton, New Brunswick, and Halifax, Dartmouth and Sydney, Nova Scotia.

The two Microtel hotels in Ontario are scheduled to break ground in March 2008 and open next fall. The Atlantic Canada properties are all anticipated to break ground in 2008......

more at
http://www.microtelinn.com/pressroom/release.asp?id=342
Good to hear,
Man, Saint John & Moncton are opening a crazy amount of hotels lately

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
Good to hear,
Man, Saint John & Moncton are opening a crazy amount of hotels lately
Oh yeah . This year in SJ I think there are Hampton Inn, Motel 6, Best Western and another one I forgot the name as well. In Moncton there are Hampton Inn, Marriott, Motel 6, Holiday Inn, St James as well as Super 8.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 4:56 AM
Believer in the future

The Heritage Development Officer further commented that the argument with respect to
increasing densification by building high-rise towers does not work. Other cities across
North America have found that you can achieve a higher density with buildings 4-6
stories in height, than can be achieved in 10-12 storey towers, which need to be separated
far enough from one another so that residents are not looking into their neighbours’
windows.

Ahh, yes. The good 'ol Heritage Development Board. I have never understood why Saint John is so incredibly terrified of high rise buildings downtown. It's a wonder how the Fortis tower was even approved and actually built in 1976.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxMtl666 View Post
Oh yeah . This year in SJ I think there are Hampton Inn, Motel 6, Best Western and another one I forgot the name as well. In Moncton there are Hampton Inn, Marriott, Motel 6, Holiday Inn, St James as well as Super 8.
Amsterdam Inn in Quispamsis?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bound View Post
Amsterdam Inn in Quispamsis?
You`re right! If I remember from my last trip to SJ I think we could see it along highway 2.

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Nov 29, 2007 at 5:15 AM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 5:24 AM
Unregistered Loser

It's actually visible from Hwy 1.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 9:13 AM

Where is Motel 6 going, is that the one on the west side...

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTOKO View Post
Where is Motel 6 going, is that the one on the west side...
yup....

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 6:18 PM
Sarcstic Caper in Exile

Hotels are always good news, assuming they're successful. Microtel's a suburban design for sure, the only place I could see it ending up near uptown is either on Chelsey Dr near Bentley Crossing, or somewhere on the Westside. I'd mostly expect this in the retail district though. Hopefully they'll announce the exact locations soon.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 8:08 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
It's actually visible from Hwy 1.
You really can't see anything in Saint John from Highway 2.
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 1:59 PM

[twin Tower Condo Project Planned For Waterfront]
Nov30/07 4:38am

Construction On A Twin Tower Condo Project In The Uptown Is Expected To Begin By August Of Next Year.
John Rocca Of The Rocca Group Tells Chsj News The Project Will Be Constructed In The Prince William - Water Streets Area.
Rocca Says His Company Is Finalizing Details On The Number Of Units -- He Expects To Release Those Details Sometime In March -- The Project Is Currently Scheduled To Be Completed By November Of 2009.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 2:03 PM

Projects will displace poor, developer says

Khalid Malik
Telegraph-Journal
Published Friday November 30th, 2007
Appeared on page C3

SAINT JOHN - A well-known Saint John developer painted a vision of the uptown area 10 to 15 years from now that made many people in his audience feel uneasy.

John Rocca, president of the Rocca Group, said future developments in the southern peninsula will make housing expensive in the area and poor people will be displaced.

"I am raising the question that there are a lot of poor people living in the area now and how they are going to benefit from this (projected) growth," he said.

"If we do not become active in managing the growth, there will be less of the positive benefits and more of the negative consequences," he explained in an interview following his presentation.

He was speaking Thursday at an Urban Development Forum, organized by Fusion Saint John, a not-for-profit organization that provides social, business and volunteer opportunities for Saint Johners of all ages.

About 50 people turned out for the forum that included Mayor Norm McFarlane, Uptown Saint John general manager Peter Asimakos, Saint John Waterfront Development Partnership general manager Ross Jefferson and Jason MacLean, who is involved in the Saint John Skate Park development.

While the other speakers mostly explained to the people what their organizations do, Rocca gave "a tour of the uptown as it would look in 2018."

Rocca himself is planning to build a condo complex at the end of Prince William and Water streets and the building will straddle the two streets. It will have two towers separated by an outdoor plaza, but he is still not sure how many units it would have. It will all depend on the mix of bachelor, one- and two-bedroom apartments he can fit into the space.

But he said the condos will be "affordable. It will be the first and the last condo project that will be affordable for the people."

He explained the condos will be less expensive only because unlike the Robertson's Wharf and the Coast Guard development site, the land is less expensive to develop because it is already full serviced. He did not give a price, but said people with a "modest income" could afford them.

Rocca, however, warned people that eventual development of the southern peninsula will mean "poor people will be displaced unless we provide some place for them."

The new condos will be very expensive. They would have a price of at least $500 per square foot, he said.

He said there will be public activism, public anger, taxes will be up and so will be traffic in the uptown area. There will be more restaurants, more art galleries in the residential areal

People "will look to politicians to solve these problems," he said. "People will be angry because their quality of life will be gone.

"The night life will be very vibrant. It will be very much like the day life in Saint John" in that there will be 24-hour activity in this area.

By 2013, he believes buildings on the Lower Cove Loop will be purchased and renovated. By 2018, the South End development will have been completed.

Rocca said the Port of Saint John will be under significant pressure to open up its land for development and there will be significant projects on the Lower Cove Loupe.

He also sees Salvation Army being building torn down to make room for new development and the Prince Edward Square mall demolished and replaced with a new project.

"Your role is not to sit idly by. You should get involved to get the type of downtown you want," Rocca said.

McFarlane said he and common council represent the whole city and not just the uptown area. He said he was pleased to see so many projects on the go in Saint John.

"We have never seen so much construction going on," he said. "Things are really happening."

The mayor said lots in all new subdivisions are being sold quickly. It doesn't matter whether they are in Millidgeville or East Saint John. "There is something going on in every part of the city," he said

In the only reference to developments on the north of Union Street, McFarlane said he understands it is a heritage area, "but we have to have development there."

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 5:38 PM

^ What a peculiar article, I can't seem to gauge whether the comments are supposed to be pro-development, or anti-development, because it sounds like a mix of fear mongering and positive pseudo-propaganda. Every statement has a qualifier, every pro has a con and no one seems to have an entirely rosy outlook - and of course Norm chimes in at the end as usual saying that development isn't just for Uptown

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces