HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 1, 2007, 3:52 PM

I didnt see this anywhere, but it looks like ASU sold almost half of lot 59N, the parking lot dirrectly east of Edgeview and Bridgeview. Looks like an indication to the completion of the hayden ferry lakeside towers.

http://www.asu.edu/parking/PTSNewsAug07.pdf

page three

Old Posted Sep 1, 2007, 7:33 PM

Those are some cool renderings, Don. I hope the towers across from the stadium get built soon.

What's the one at Apache/Rural? Which corner would that be on?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 12:17 AM
Desert Urbanite

Just an FYI to everyone:

The 5th & Mill Building, currently gutted and naked in all it's glory, will be the eventual home of the Gelato Spot, several smaller retail shops, a bank (I think) and some offices on the 2nd floor. On the third floor (the roof), it will be the new home of Don and Mei Lee Plato, owners of the Gelato Spot.

I rememeber seeing the plans when I used to work in Tempe as an intern, and I was amazed at the penthouse overlooking Mill Avenue. There will be some sort of tower element flanking the corner with a clock and spire on top. What I really can't wait is the gelato store to open, although there's already one near my current job in Downtown Scottsdale.

-Andrew

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azndragon837 View Post
Just an FYI to everyone:

The 5th & Mill Building, currently gutted and naked in all it's glory, will be the eventual home of the Gelato Spot, several smaller retail shops, a bank (I think) and some offices on the 2nd floor. On the third floor (the roof), it will be the new home of Don and Mei Lee Plato, owners of the Gelato Spot.

I rememeber seeing the plans when I used to work in Tempe as an intern, and I was amazed at the penthouse overlooking Mill Avenue. There will be some sort of tower element flanking the corner with a clock and spire on top. What I really can't wait is the gelato store to open, although there's already one near my current job in Downtown Scottsdale.

-Andrew
That's strange because I emailed Don Plato at Gelato Spot back in May and he said they were not going to put a Gelato Spot in this location. He said they had other plans that he couldn't discuss. I had asked if Gelato Spot was still coming there because they had taken down the sign back in April sometime and I was curious why. Anyway, here is the reply he gave me to my question:

No we just own the building and have other plans for it. I imagine we will do gelato from time to time but we will have something special there that I can’t discuss yet. I am sure we will have The Gelato Spot in Tempe in the future just not in that location.

Don Sorry! L

Who knows though, maybe they are still putting a Gelato Spot there. I sure hope you're right because I love their gelato!!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 9:29 PM

Yeah when I was there I noticed the Gelato Spot sign had disappeared, so it doesn't surprise me to hear that plans changed. I think Gelato Spot would have been a good fit for that location, but I'll be excited to hear what "something special" means.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2007, 9:29 PM
Desert Urbanite

^What? Are you serious? That sucks...because Tempe needs a Gelato Spot. Well, if you trek on over to the Planning Department in Tempe and ask to see the most current plans, I am sure that their home is still planned to be on top of the building, which is really cool.

On the other hand, because I work with Scottsdale, I just trek on over to the Gelato Spot on 3rd & Scottsdale on Fridays after work (or the one on 32nd and Camelback on the way home). I don't frequent Tempe as much anymore since I grauated from ASU in May.

-Andrew

Old Posted Sep 3, 2007, 2:49 AM
under the influence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer84 View Post
That's strange because I emailed Don Plato at Gelato Spot back in May and he said they were not going to put a Gelato Spot in this location. He said they had other plans that he couldn't discuss. I had asked if Gelato Spot was still coming there because they had taken down the sign back in April sometime and I was curious why. Anyway, here is the reply he gave me to my question:

No we just own the building and have other plans for it. I imagine we will do gelato from time to time but we will have something special there that I can’t discuss yet. I am sure we will have The Gelato Spot in Tempe in the future just not in that location.

Don Sorry! L

Who knows though, maybe they are still putting a Gelato Spot there. I sure hope you're right because I love their gelato!!
Unfortunately, the plans have changed again. Mixed use, with retail on the bottom (no Gelato), an office on the second floor, and the owner's penthouse added to a new 3rd (top) floor. Plus he's adding a small parking garage on the east side, where the surface parking is. You wont recognize it when it's complete.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2007, 2:54 AM

UGGGHH I want a house on the corner of 5th and Mill! Its not fair. I'm so sick of other people getting everything that I want.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 12:34 AM

Did anyone visit the Tempe Center for the Arts since it opened this past weekend? If so, post pics! The newspaper had some nice pictures...

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 4:24 AM

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 5:12 AM

I'm not sure if it's already been mentioned or not, but I recieved an invitation from Mosaic to attend their "official" ground breaking ceremony the end of this month at the Tempe Center for the Arts... Sounds promising, but I'll wait till there's a tower crane up to get excited...

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 5:47 AM
under the influence...

Exterior looks fantastic, even better in person. The interior spaces are great, with nice sightlines and a wonderful ceiling. But I hate, hate, hate the interior signage. Its so out-of-character with the rest of the building. And unfortunately, there were a lot of other negative comments about it.

Sorry, didn't have my camera with me. I'll try to go back this weekend.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 9:41 PM
tempe_native

Here these aren't amazing pictures, but I was able to make it out the last 1/2 hour before they closed it up on Sunday. It was really true what they said how they seemed to spare no details in building this thing. As for those big signs inside, I like big signs for some reason so I love them but thats just me I guess!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2007, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Tempe could best Phoenix, Scottsdale with more space
Katie Nelson
The Arizona Republic
Sept. 19, 2007 11:27 AM

Tempe's lack of conference space is a well-known weakness.

Case in point: Phoenix is busy rebuilding its 900,000-square-foot convention center, while Tempe has 114,494 combined square feet throughout the city.

Those empty, rentable rooms may not mean much to locals who don't use them often, but they can mean big bucks for host cities because of the bed tax and entertainment dollars spent by business travelers and convention attendees.

"It's important to any city to have a balanced economy with high paying jobs, a retail base to generate sales tax, residential development to generate property tax and tourism that creates transit occupancy revenues," said Chris Salomone, Tempe's community development director. "With Tempe being a landlocked city, we are going to rely more and more on people coming and spending money to balance our economy."

Plans for more than a dozen new hotels in Tempe will help achieve that goal. A new consulting firm checklist suggesting what kind of additional conference space Tempe needs to help draw in business travelers may also help.

" . . . if done correctly, the city of Tempe has a unique boutique niche opportunity . . . " states the report, which was finalized late last week by Economics Research Associates, a large California-based firm.

ERA analyzed Tempe's existing conference space, which is inside the city's 32 existing hotels, and how it stacks up against competition throughout the Valley.

Major players are Phoenix - home of the area's top three largest conference hotels - and Scottsdale. Glendale, Mesa and Chandler also make the list, though there aren't many hotel rooms in any of those cities.

Tempe has advantages over all of them, according to ERA.

Proximity to the airport was listed as the primary advantage, though this may chagrin some neighborhood activists. Arizona's mild winter weather and Mill Avenue's "active, lively and youthful" character were also noted as pluses. Arizona State University's presence, light rail, Tempe Town Lake and proximity to Scottsdale, spring training and Mexico were also listed as assets.

Listed weaknesses included limited meeting space inventory, sometimes-brassy college atmosphere, airplane noise and off-season price competition from Scottsdale.

To make the most of its assets, the report suggests, Tempe should build $50-$60 million in additional conference space within walking distance of Mill Avenue's retail and restaurants.

It could be done by expanding an existing hotel, building an independent conference center, or by partnering with a proposed hotel or the university, according to the study. The conference space could be as large as 75,000 square feet.

But it remains to be seen if city leaders will be able to make it happen. A similar conference space study was done in and since then not much new meeting space has been added.

Yet new conference space opportunities are now in the works at the proposed Marriott hotel site on 7th Street and Mill Avenue and on Sun Cor Development Co. land along Tempe Town Lake, just across from Sun Devil Stadium.
More conference space in Tempe could mean some big hotels!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 1:32 AM
under the influence...

Driving by on 5th street today, I noticed that the Armory/Lumina site has a trailer, and is wrapped.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 6:20 AM

Good to hear! So that means that Onyx, Lumina, and Mosaic are all wrapped! With Mosaic supposedly breaking ground at the end of the month. I think Onyx must wait until the condos next door to it are done. This is really exciting for Tempe! Now if Dave's Dog House could only work out a deal!

Anybody heard anything on the hotel that's supposed to go in at Hayden Ferry Lakeside? I haven't heard any estimates for a groundbreaking date.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 4:38 PM
under the influence...

My doubts about Mosaic continue to grow. The lot has gone from an eyesore to downright seedy. Graffiti is all along the cinder block wall and on several parts of the wrap now, and the chain link fence along both University and Ash has been knocked over for quite a while.

This pic was from 6 weeks ago; the site looked tidy in comparison to how it looks now.

If they are going to break ground before the end of the month, now would be a nice time to maybe open up the trailer, and perhaps start moving some equipment on-site.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 2:08 PM

The First "LUMINA"

September 25, 2007 - 6:24AM
220-room hotel, 245-condo Tempe project planned
Donna Hogan, Tribune
Veteran hotel developers will launch a new hotel-plus-condos brand Lumina in downtown Tempe.

The 220-room hotel with 245 condominiums will rise in two 15- to 20-story towers at Fifth Street and College Avenue, the site of the former Arizona National Guard Armory, near Sun Devil Stadium and the Wells Fargo Arena.

The $200 million project, announced nearly a year ago with the moniker Stadium Towers, is slated to break ground in November and open in late 2009, said Eugene Marchese, majority partner in Constellation Hospitality Group.

Sales offices for the condos, which are selling for $290,000 to $1.5 million, have opened at 502 S. College Ave.

A May preview for people who previously had shown an interest in the project ended up with 400 potential buyers showing up, 120 making reservations and 45 signing sales contracts, Marchese said.

Constellation Hospitality Group was formed by San Diego-based Constellation Property Group and Australian architectural firm Marchese & Partners to develop the Lumina brand.

Tempe will get the first Lumina. Constellation is eyeing sites in San Diego, Honolulu, Las Vegas and Austin, Texas, Marchese said.

Marchese teamed up with Robert Watson, now CEO of Constellation Hospitality Group, to develop the concept and model.

Watson was involved in the design of such trendy boutique brands as Starwood’s W Hotel & Residences and San Francisco-based Kimpton Hotels, parent of Scottsdale’s FireSky Resort.

Marchese said the intent with Lumina is to develop, own and manage a unified project.

Condo residents will have access to all of the hotel’s features and services, including in-home massages, catering, housekeeping, 24-hour concierge and valet, he said.

“People are looking for this integrated lifestyle,” Marchese said.

“Just think. It’s 8:30 (p.m.). You are working late and haven’t had time for dinner. You can ring ahead to the chef, who will take a meal to your condo. People will even come in and mix your drinks for you.”

All of the pricing will be a la carte, Marchese said, so condo owners can use — and pay for — as much or as little of the hotel services as they choose.

Lumina Tempe also will include high-end shops and restaurants, a “destination health club and spa,” and a “20,000-square-foot serviced pool deck” that includes cabanas and food and beverage services, Marchese said.

Combining condos and hotels is popular. Every upscale East Valley hotel on the drawing board or under construction from the Ritz Carlton Paradise Valley to the W Scottsdale to Tempe’s Le Meridien has requisite private residences.

Cash from condo sales help finance the building of a hotel, easing cash flow for developers.

In most such planned projects, property owners farm out the pieces to different developers and, after completion, bring in management companies to operate the pieces, Marchese said.

The difference with Lumina is having a single owner, developer and management company, he said.

“That gives us the ability and agility to integrate the services,” he said.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 4:56 PM
BANNED

the Tempe Center for the Arts is a fucking masterpiece of architecture. I would find a way to put my penis in it if I could... I like it that much.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Vandercook View Post
the Tempe Center for the Arts is a fucking masterpiece of architecture. I would find a way to put my penis in it if I could... I like it that much.
That is some funny shit right there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest