HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Unless I'm mistaken and something was just recently announced, baseless speculation by combusean does not help. For all we know, it could've been faulty wiring in the project. It was all over social media last night that everyone was 100% sure it was the protesters yet no protesting was even happening around the area
To be fair a lot of the protesters were all around the fire, and many had parked near there. Countless cars were impeding the response of Phx Fire apparatus for quite a while as they tried to leave the area.

That said, I won't add to any speculation.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soled View Post
To be fair a lot of the protesters were all around the fire, and many had parked near there. Countless cars were impeding the response of Phx Fire apparatus for quite a while as they tried to leave the area.

That said, I won't add to any speculation.
The protest yesterday was in Encanto Park several miles away. Most of the cars were parked in the Encanto and Palmcraft neighborhoods.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 2:27 AM
Skyriser

I didn't say anything about protests but it's disturbing that there are embedded buggaloos causing problems.

The fire department did report people in the area that were trying to get on scene. Must've been a rough night for them yesterday when you have chaos-seeking accelerationists that literally want to watch the world burn and stop you from doing your job.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
The protest yesterday was in Encanto Park several miles away. Most of the cars were parked in the Encanto and Palmcraft neighborhoods.
I'm simply offering more firsthand info than many might imagine. No one has to accept it

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I didn't say anything about protests but it's disturbing that there are embedded buggaloos causing problems.

The fire department did report people in the area that were trying to get on scene. Must've been a rough night for them yesterday when you have chaos-seeking accelerationists that literally want to watch the world burn and stop you from doing your job.
It was a challenge in many ways, but that's the life. You just acknowledge it and open up the toolbox like you would for any problem-solving incident.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 2:43 AM

Quote:
I'm simply offering more firsthand info than many might imagine. No one has to accept it
Meh, while we don’t know the exact cause yet, I know the protestors will be scrutinized for pretty much anything at this point. I suspect it was arson myself but don’t wanna make any leaps in logic. We’re all entitled to our opinions

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Meh, while we don’t know the exact cause yet, I know the protestors will be scrutinized for pretty much anything at this point. I suspect it was arson myself but don’t wanna make any leaps in logic. We’re all entitled to our opinions
I'm curious-where exactly in my post did you feel I said anything whatsoever about a cause for the fire?

I mentioned that I don't want to add to the speculation, so I'm genuinely curious. And I'm very willing to apologize for not articulating my response well enough.

I was simply trying to offer a fact to this discussion; nothing more

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 2:56 AM

Quote:
I'm curious-where exactly in my post did you feel I said anything whatsoever about a cause for the fire?

I mentioned that I don't want to add to the speculation, so I'm genuinely curious. And I'm very willing to apologize for not articulating my response well enough.

I was simply trying to offer a fact to this discussion; nothing more
To be honest, I believe I’m at fault for misreading your post. I thought it implied the protestors were responsible. My mistake and apologies

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 3:07 AM

Quote:
To be honest, I believe I’m at fault for misreading your post. I thought it implied the protestors were responsible. My mistake and apologies
No worries, brother.

The confusion probably came from me only correcting a single fact on one side of a debate-making it seem as if I was supporting one side.

I was just taking in everyone's thoughts, then presumed everyone might be interested in considering some inside baseball. Nothing more than that

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 3:50 AM

Does anyone know what development is going on the NW corner of 1st Street and McKinley? Also, it would be nice if the Coronado Hotel NE corner (1st & McKinley) could become a nice vintage boutique of some sort, especially since there are some interesting characters that stay/hang out there.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFireBirds View Post
Does anyone know what development is going on the NW corner of 1st Street and McKinley? Also, it would be nice if the Coronado Hotel NE corner (1st & McKinley) could become a nice vintage boutique of some sort, especially since there are some interesting characters that stay/hang out there.
That's the Derby I believe. https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=227362

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroD View Post
@PyroD, thanks for replying. So Derby is on the NW corner of 2nd St and McKinley. That's why it's bugging me to find out what development is going on the corner of 1st St and McKinley.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2020, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFireBirds View Post
@PyroD, thanks for replying. So Derby is on the NW corner of 2nd St and McKinley. That's why it's bugging me to find out what development is going on the corner of 1st St and McKinley.
I believe this is just a construction staging area with no construction actually going on at that site.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 2:29 AM

Drone 3D image of the aftermath of Alta Warehouse apartments - looks like just the elevator shafts remain. (img credit: Aaron Michalenko)

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 6:34 AM
Skyriser

They never released many details about this...I've never gauged a site plan by the aftermath of a conflagration.

Lots of surface parking. No big loss. Maybe the fire was a blessing. :X

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 7:55 AM
Skyriser

Inspired by the SHAG thread I was looking around on Google Maps on the near East Camelback Rd side and didn't realize two projects had finished that had mostly flown under the radar here: Alta Camelback or Vela on Camelback and Cabana on 12th St.

Alta, despite looking beigy 80s is actually a good looking project because of its cleaner lines and lack of "articulated facade" crap that projects like Broadstone's product gets high off of.

Cabana on 12th is an attainable ($850 for a studio) development that's a major improvement for the area. The impressive assemblage of 7 acres of vacant and underutilized lots is not particularly dense with a lot of surface parking but seems a good fit for the neighborhood.

And it's just north of a 12-lot single family/large townhome (6 DU/acre) development called Sunset Villas on Devonshire and 12th...at least it fills a long vacant lot with a high quality product.

Good stuff all in all.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 8:22 AM

Quote:
They never released many details about this...I've never gauged a site plan by the aftermath of a conflagration.

Lots of surface parking. No big loss. Maybe the fire was a blessing. :X
Thats every alta project, they build street facing apartments with large courtyards of parking

I doubt that the plan will change when they rebuild

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 8:44 AM
Skyriser

And because I can't sleep ...

Having never seen the siteplan but have always been interested in a pioneering project, Alta Warehouse would have been a nightmare for owners and rents would have degraded quickly.

They put the bulk of the massing next to 7th Ave on the west building for no reason whatsoever. 7th Ave is a railway overpass, not an urban corridor, never something you want to front with practically no setback for a residential building.

On the east building, they are literally fronting the railroad tracks as much as they can like that's what they decided to do, or it's more of a "shoulda turned left" idea of site planning.

This thing had no site-specific architecture whatsoever and is better suited for a half mile from the 202 in the Southeast Valley.

If Alta redesigned this project or collected the money for the insurance payout and sold the lot to someone else for a long term hold to fund something else, that would be a major improvement.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 8:45 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Thats every alta project, they build street facing apartments with large courtyards of parking

I doubt that the plan will change when they rebuild
It's not every project, Alta makes hard decisions on whether they want their projects surfaced or garaged parking. Alta Camelback is a good example of one of their higher quality builds. Alta Fillmore was a fringe project, and then there's Alta Central.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2020, 3:39 PM

Quote:
It's not every project, Alta makes hard decisions on whether they want their projects surfaced or garaged parking. Alta Camelback is a good example of one of their higher quality builds. Alta Fillmore was a fringe project, and then there's Alta Central.
Alta's project off Filmore and IN midtown are almost exactly the same and they built in these spots years before any other developer would even consider it.

Alta projects arent Ideal and they are built to be flipped but they are usually the ones that are first to strike into a neighborhood and at the front end of gentrification efforts.

You are right, 7th ave and Grant is not a desirable location, and as Far as I can tell only Alta/wood partners seems to be okay with that move, if they dont build this it will be empty for a decade or more until the Warehouse district is fully gentrified.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest