HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 1, 2021, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Seems that would have been a good photo-op opportunity: the first Stage 2 station platforms (ironically along the last segment to open).
I think Mooney's Bay technically took that title.
https://twitter.com/RiverWardRiley/s...60322193625093

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 3:38 PM

Anyone know when the next FEDCO meeting will be? They scratched the Stage 2 update from the December FEDCO, so I hope they'll have an update this time around.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 4:31 PM
You call that a knife?

Quote:
Anyone know when the next FEDCO meeting will be? They scratched the Stage 2 update from the December FEDCO, so I hope they'll have an update this time around.
Agenda from the last one has the date listed as "Feb 2 2021 (tentative)"

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonsy View Post
Agenda from the last one has the date listed as "Feb 2 2021 (tentative)"
Thanks! Too bad we have to wait so long.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 4:43 PM

Quote:
We visited the site of the future Queensview station today. Other than construction fencing, absence of trees and dirt, not much to report. We didn't think it was worth taking pics.

At Pinecrest I think there was a pile driver between the westbound on ramp and the Queensway, but that was it.I did not see the footings and platforms mentioned by OTown.
I pass by these two stations often and the level of activity slowed down to the point it almost came to a halt in the last 6-8 weeks. Same with Moodie light maintenance and storage facility. There appears to be more activity on the link to the maintenance facility than on the facility itself.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
I pass by these two stations often and the level of activity slowed down to the point it almost came to a halt in the last 6-8 weeks. Same with Moodie light maintenance and storage facility. There appears to be more activity on the link to the maintenance facility than on the facility itself.
The work occurs in phases, with crews travelling from site to site (I think...)

So you have site preparation, piles and footings from one crew. They finished Pinecrest and are working at Moodie now.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 7:25 PM

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 9:20 PM

2020 Year-end Review available on O-Train Fans:

https://www.railfans.ca/forum/topic/...s#comment-3589

Rochester Fields slurry pits.

Byron Park preliminary tunnel work.

Lincoln Fields flyover.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 9:45 PM
BANNED

So I believe the plan is to close the transitway at the last possible moment, but given the lower ridership, would it make sense to fast-track those segments of construction, and hopefully open the line sooner? Or would the construction timeline remain unchanged?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainshumanist View Post
So I believe the plan is to close the transitway at the last possible moment, but given the lower ridership, would it make sense to fast-track those segments of construction, and hopefully open the line sooner? Or would the construction timeline remain unchanged?
The tunnel portions of the line will take the entire 5 years to complete, so fast-tracking the Transitway conversion would not change the overall schedule.

They still have to build the bus detour (Scott Street bus lanes, bridge over the Transitway at Churchill to connect with Dominion).

According to the schedule, we should start seeing some work along the Transitway trench this year.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...tion-1.5382265

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 4:39 PM

Does anyone know if there is future provision being built into this extension for infill stations? I ask because it seems like there's quite a long gap between Tunny's and Westboro stations (~1600m), which passes through a relatively dense area, or at least one with good intensification potential. My understanding is that 800m station spacing on a rapid, frequent line is seen as ideal from a coverage/trip time perspective.

For comparison, the station spacing from Westboro to Dominion is ~700m while that between Bayview and Tunney's is ~1200m.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baybreeze12 View Post
Does anyone know if there is future provision being built into this extension for infill stations? I ask because it seems like there's quite a long gap between Tunny's and Westboro stations (~1600m), which passes through a relatively dense area, or at least one with good intensification potential. My understanding is that 800m station spacing on a rapid, frequent line is seen as ideal from a coverage/trip time perspective.

For comparison, the station spacing from Westboro to Dominion is ~700m while that between Bayview and Tunney's is ~1200m.
The only three future infill stations discussed are Jasmine Crescent, Orleans Town Centre and Tenth Line. Many believe Jasmine is warranted as it is a dense, low-income area. Place d'Orleans, Orleans Town Centre and Tenth Line would all be within a 1 kilometer stretch (though Tenth Line has been shown further east, but I believe the final plan is directly below the Tenth Line overpass).

In any case, neither of those stations are likely as adding them to the median would be quite challenging and require shifting the highway further and/or changing track geometry.

I believe there's a provision to add one station in a field near Riverside South as well, which would be quite useless. No additional stations are planned for the urban west-end.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Traffic disruptions begin Thursday from LRT-related projects

Joanne Laucius, Ottawa Sun
Jan 15, 2021

A number of LRT-related projects will disrupt traffic starting on Thursday, says the city of Ottawa.

In the east end, the disruptions will include closing the eastbound off-ramp from Highway 174, starting Thursday at 10 p.m. and ending Friday at 5 a.m.

The eastbound on-ramp from southbound Montreal Road to Highway 174 will also close from Thursday at 10 p.m. until Friday at 5 a.m.

In the west end, the westbound on-ramp to Highway 417 from northbound Pinecrest Road will close daily between 10 a.m. and 10:30 a.m. starting Monday. The closure depends on the weather and is expected to be over on the morning of Jan. 22.

Meanwhile, sections of Byron Avenue between Sherbourne Road and Redwood Avenue, and between New Orchard Avenue and Ancaster Avenue will remain closed until the end of March for Stage 2 LRT work.

For construction updates across Ottawa, or for information about traffic and travel planning, visit Ottawa’s traffic map.
https://ottawasun.com/news/local-new...box=1610672744

Old Posted Jan 17, 2021, 3:27 PM

Does anyone know when the trench will be dug between Dominion and Cleary stations? In other words, what will the period of active digging/construction be and when should that section of the trench be covered?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 9:08 PM

Found this on O-Train Fans. Ridership projections for each Confederation Line station, 2031 and 2048. Page 21:

file:///C:/Users/jgleeson/Downloads/Confederation%20Line%20Extension%20Project%20-%20Schedule%2015-2%20Part%204%20-%20Stations%20(Redacted)-AODA.pdf

Also, station features (washrooms, retail, entrances...)

file:///C:/Users/jgleeson/Downloads/Confederation%20Line%20Extension%20Project%20-%20Schedule%2015-2%20Part%204%20-%20Stations%20-%20Appendix%20A%20(Redacted)-AODA.pdf

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Found this on O-Train Fans. Ridership projections for each Confederation Line station, 2031 and 2048. Page 21:

file:///C:/Users/jgleeson/Downloads/Confederation%20Line%20Extension%20Project%20-%20Schedule%2015-2%20Part%204%20-%20Stations%20(Redacted)-AODA.pdf

Also, station features (washrooms, retail, entrances...)

file:///C:/Users/jgleeson/Downloads/Confederation%20Line%20Extension%20Project%20-%20Schedule%2015-2%20Part%204%20-%20Stations%20-%20Appendix%20A%20(Redacted)-AODA.pdf
It looks like you linked to files on your computer, not the web.

Edit: I realize you corrected the link in the other thread, it would be great if you could do so in this thread and the Trillium thread as well.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catenary View Post
It looks like you linked to files on your computer, not the web.

Edit: I realize you corrected the link in the other thread, it would be great if you could do so in this thread and the Trillium thread as well.
Sorry about that:

Quote:
I opened it on O-Train Fans and copy-pasted the link. I guess that doesn't wok.

Here's where I got them:

Confed: https://www.railfans.ca/otrain/doc-a...line-extension
Trillium: https://www.railfans.ca/otrain/doc-a...line-extension

They were in the station sections.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 10:07 PM
Closed account

Tunnel trench progress between Sherbourne (Cleary) and New Orchard stations.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalCity613 View Post

Tunnel trench progress between Sherbourne (Cleary) and New Orchard stations.
I was expecting bigger machines for earth moving/excavation.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 4:51 PM

The offset bus loops at Tunney's and Hurdman (and on a lesser scale, Blair) are a big annoyance on the O-Train system, but it does seem like the City learned its lesson, or don't have enough space to repeat the design flaw, as part of Stage 2.

The bus loop stops at Pinecrest and Lincoln Fields seem to be directly at the station entrances. The same goes for east and south transfer stations.

https://www.railfans.ca/otrain/line-...ions/pinecrest

https://www.railfans.ca/otrain/trans...lincoln-fields

The best design transfer wise however, might be Moodie. The platform itself seems to have two openings on the west end of the rail station/centre of the bus platform. Lets hope that the north (westbound) platform is used at all times, with the south (eastbound) platform reserved for detours only, in the case of a stalled train.

https://www.railfans.ca/otrain/line-3-stations/moodie

I wonder if something similar can be done at Bayshore, with cross through between the westbound platform and the bus loop.

https://www.railfans.ca/otrain/line-3-stations/bayshore

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation